Options

New forum suggestion?

MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
edited January 21, 2005 in The Big Picture
Not sure where else to put this so here goes...

As I was thinking of a question I have regarding pricing of some of my pics it occurred to me that it may be useful to have a "Business" Forum dedicated to such questions.

Would that be helpful to the community?
If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...

Should we add a "Pro Business" forum on dgrin.com? 8 votes

You betcha! :thumb
62% 5 votes
No, I don't think it's necessary or wouldn't be used properly. :flush
37% 3 votes
I have a better idea, and it's included below.
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    thats an idea.. to talk about as fare as pricing for photos and how to get traffic to your site and so on..
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Are there many pro's on here? I've just been following a thread on dpreview that got all bitter and twisted because a number of the pro's deeply resent sharing information with other pro's and worse still, those newbie upstarts who undercut them on pricing, because it's not their main trade.

I can understand why they're upset, but the tread got pretty agressive... doesn't look like a whole lot of "sharing" of information will be going on.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Well, for what it's worth...
    yvonne wrote:
    Are there many pro's on here? I've just been following a thread on dpreview that got all bitter and twisted because a number of the pro's deeply resent sharing information with other pro's and worse still, those newbie upstarts who undercut them on pricing, because it's not their main trade.

I can understand why they're upset, but the tread got pretty agressive... doesn't look like a whole lot of "sharing" of information will be going on.
    I like the idea of "Business" forumthumb.gif

And I don't think we all pose a fierce competion to each other here. The only dgrin/smugmug person I know of from my viscinity is DavidTO. And Conejo valley holds (I think) about 5 cities and around 200-300, 000 ppl. The next dgrinner lives at least 50 miles away. I cannot see how we can undermine each other's business even if we all go photo pro (which I doubt we will).

However, that would be a sweet place to exchange the good business practices, which we all should do regardless of our involvement level. And Andy or Shay, being from East Coast, can share thier priceless info and still sleep well, knowing that West Coast is trying to learn from them:-)

Just my $.02..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Don't get me wrong. I think it's a good idea. I'm just recounting an experienced I just witnessed. Forewarned is forearmed.
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    ahhh...
    yvonne wrote:

I appreciate where you are coming from Yvonne. I really didn't think of it from that angle.

My thoughts were that since these questions do come up here it may be helpful to have a place for seperate business related discussion. It would keep these type of questions from taking up space on the other forums and make them easier to locate for those that are interested.

I know exactly what you are talking about as far as dpreview goes, and even to some extent Fred Mirandas forums as well. However, in the short time I've been here I've never gotten the feeling that dgrin was even close to those other forums and seems much more friendly iloveyou.gif.

Also, I think when amateurs ask for help with pricing or how to establish a business, one of the main reasons they ask is so they DON'T UNDERCUT the market. I could very easily come up with a pricing structure that I *felt* was reasonable. I'd rather come up with a pricing structure that was based on what my efforts are really worth (assuming I can deliver a quality photograph) eek7.gif .

As far as "sharing" goes, it's up to the members whether they feel like sharing or not. As Nikolai pointed out, we do have pros here bowdown.gif that can offer help and suggestions on getting started-most of them ALREADY help out in that way all the time. And every pro had to start somewhere.

It won't hurt anyone if we don't have a separate forum I'm sure the questions will continue to asked anyway-I know I'll keep asking them rolleyes1.gif
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    I feel as a pro member on here that we are all like family. Besides no 1 picture is the same... my sf pics compared to other in my area are diffrent and so on.. I love feed back.. to be able to learn from others about what they think helps us all. Besides I think if people on here are upset about it then that would be a great place to talk about it.. also We all could agree on the same prices so we are all equal in prices for examples of the san fransico golden gate. So price would not be selling it but the photo it's self would be.

I have personally have never been able to find my own pictures by doing a search.. with the photos and the galleries with key words attached to them.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Interesting idea. I've added a poll to this thread so the great unwashed masses can vote on it. The admin/moderator team will take the vote results into consideration when making the final decision.

Please register your vote.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson