Options

36 Hours in Leiden, Holland

harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited March 28, 2007 in Journeys
A made a dash over to the City of Leiden, Holland to see some old friends and while their take a few pics. All taken with my Oly E1 + 14-54ZD, ISO100-400, shot as RAW and converted using LightZone for Linux. No Noise reduction on any of the shots as the NR doesnt seem to work in this version of LightZone.

1. The old Rhine

138813129-L.jpg

2. I've lost my Bike!

138812580-L.jpg

3. Sunset over the Old River Rhine - Rembrandt's Windmill is in the background. hand-held, ISO 100, F7.1 @1/5s

138842942-L.jpg

4. Music in the Market:

138814347-L.jpg

5. One of the largest buildings in the city

138819183-L.jpg

6. Cruising on the canals

138815449-L.jpg

7. Eating out - I had thought being vegitarien in Holland would be pretty easy and how wrong I was . Thank God for Indian and Italian Restuarants and a good old falafel!

138815306-L.jpg

I haven't finished working on the rest of the pics but some of the ones that I have managed to get through can be found here:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/gallery/1827318#138812580

Cheers

HarjTT

:D :thumb

Comments

• Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    thumb.gif Thanks for the excursion. bsvirginian
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Great shots...I like the one of all the bikes. How do you find your bike, I wonder? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    w00t! awesome, my old hometown! I lived there for about 2 years. Actually, about 500 yards to the SW of where you took this shot, above a shoestore :D

The new bicycle parking place is awesome. It's about 5-6 years old now I think. When I lived there, there was just one big mess of bikes.

This church is the "Pieterskerk". Originally buried in that church is Ludolph van Ceulen, who was the first to calculate the number Pi with 35 decimals. (okay, i've proven my geekstatus now)

This thing is 'de burcht van Leiden' or simply 'de burcht' (citadel). Its on an elevated part of Leiden, and in the summer it's a great hangout where you can relax on the grass, in the sun.

I like the black and white shot you did of the eating place. If you don't know where to go as vegetarian, I can imagine it's a little bit of a search to find something. There are definitely places that serve veg. food though, you just have to know where to go, the age old problem.

Great shots thumb.gif thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Thanks for the comments all and I'm glad you liked the shots. I've moved the pics to its own gallery and have added a few more shots which I think show a bit more of the city. The city itself feels a lot like London but with some wonderful canals and landscapes. One thing that did suprise me was that the Tower blocks are completely away from old city centre and in many ways thats a really good thing.

My feet still hurt after Sundays 5-6 hour walk about !

Here's the gallery:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/gallery/2633881#139080214

Cheers

HarjTT

thumb.gif:D
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    harjtt wrote:
    A made a dash over to the City of Leiden, Holland to see some old friends and while their take a few pics. All taken with my Oly E1 + 14-54ZD, ISO100-400, shot as RAW and converted using LightZone for Linux. No Noise reduction on any of the shots as the NR doesnt seem to work in this version of LightZone.
    1. The old Rhine
    2. I've lost my Bike!
    3. Sunset over the Old River Rhine - Rembrandt's Windmill is in the background. hand-held, ISO 100, F7.1 @1/5s
    4. Music in the Market:
    5. One of the largest buildings in the city
    6. Cruising on the canals
    7. Eating out - I had thought being vegitarien in Holland would be pretty easy and how wrong I was . Thank God for Indian and Italian Restuarants and a good old falafel!
    I haven't finished working on the rest of the pics but some of the ones that I have managed to get through can be found here:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/gallery/1827318#138812580
    Cheers
    HarjTT
    :Dthumb.gif

Thanks for the journey HarjTT :D

I have been to Holland only once, and the only things I remember about it,
    were the water canals, hiring bikes and riding around the country side,
    the Windmills, going to Anne Franks house, taking a cruise and thinking to myself, I like my space as I saw rows upon rows of buildings stuck side by side, dunno that I want to live that close to my neighbours rolleyes1.gif

Ohhhhhh yes and the fact that we stayed in the Red Light District rolleyes1.gif
    now that was interesting :D

Ahhhhhhhh and one thing I forgot, we went to a cheese factory and brought all this cheese, then got told we couldnt take it out of the country, so we ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for days .... that was fun eek7.gif

Thanks you for sharing your journey, I love how seeing other peoples journeys brings back memories of trips I have done in the past :D

I like the first shot in your series, I wish I lived close enough to work to ride a bike, and I also love that Black & White shot in the cafe clap.gif
    Great series HarjTT, thanks for sharing....... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    hi harjtt!

glad you liked my hometown leiden! :)

its a shame i didnt know you were comming, otherwise we would have invided you for some great homemade veggie food mwink.gif you're right, there arent many veggie restaurants but there's a lot of veggie food with which you can make the best recipes (veg. thai fish cookies anyone? rolleyes1.gif)!

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but if your interested, here are a few photo's i made in leiden. click here!
    well if you come around again just PM or email us, we'll cook you something good iloveyou.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com