Options

Help with shadows in PP

apiercyapiercy Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Finishing School
I took this photo a few days ago of high school softball and the shadows are terrible. Here are the origional and my edited version. Does anyone have any suggestions for PP? :dunno

My edit:
137163954-L-1.jpg

Origional:
137164023-L-1.jpg

-Anthony

Comments

• Options
    FuzzytekFuzzytek Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    I started with your retouched one. I think you did a good job with it.
    These are the things I did in Paintshop Pro.
    1. Cropped photo keeping aspect to .66666 - eliminated the noise in the photo and brought focus where it is desired.
    2. Unsharpen with radius 1 and strength 115
    3. Levels at 20, 1.3, 220
    Not sure if you like the results better. Perhaps I would have got different going from the original photo posted.

139440622-M.jpg
    Stephen Boyle - Fuzzytek Photography, LLC
    Capturing and creating fashion, film, festivals around Detroit
    Wordpress-ed Fuzzytek
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    139476652-L.jpg

Here's my (10-minute) attempt with Photoshop

Assign a false profile (I used Apple RGB with a 1.4 gamma) to brighten the entire thing. Then a light tough with Highlights/Shadows. Finally "by-the-numbers" set highlight and shadow in curves to increase midtone contrast.
  • Options
    slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    apiercy wrote:
    I took this photo a few days ago of high school softball and the shadows are terrible. Here are the origional and my edited version. Does anyone have any suggestions for PP? ne_nau.gif

-Anthony

I think your original fix is pretty good, just need to add back some contrast as it is a little flat. Your original was underexposed to start with...try bumping up the exposure the next time around.

I have the same problem with shadows from bright sunlight in shooting lacrosse. I have found the PS Shadow/Highlight tool to be very effective, althought I think that is only available in PSCS2. Not sure what software you are using.
  • Options
    Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Here's my take on this:

1. Applied 1.8 gamma adobe false profile
    2. Wrote RGB curves, with shirt white, dark spot on bottom of shoes black, and skin from arm and leg as guides.
    3. Convert to LAB, did shadow/highlight adjustment.
    4. On dupe layer, Applied L channel to itself in screen mode, then set blending mode to maybe 50%, and blend if to isolate only the shadows, and then only where they were A positive.
    5. Back to sRGB, and its still too dark, so I duplicated the file. Applied 1.4 gamma profile to the dupe.
    6. Applied the duplicate as a new layer and blended at 50%.

Duffy
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    I am not even sure what I did on this one but whatever I did I am sure it was probably too much. rolleyes1.gif Thanks for letting us play.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8