Options

CNAME...they say no.

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited March 30, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Ok I asked my domain registrar, Startlogic, about the CNAME thing. Here is the answer I got:

"Dear Jeff,

Yes, your domain can still point to another hosting company after your hosting account is canceled.

However, we will no longer host a DNS zone file for you, so there will be no nowhere to add CNAMEs. In order to point the domain to another hosting company, the new provider will give you at least two nameserver addresses that you can assign to your domain. These nameservers will point the domain to your new provider."

Right now www.leiningerphotos.com is being redirected to www.leiningerphotos.smugmug.com but I want to do it right, anyone have a clue as to what Startlogic's reply means? And can you help?:dunno
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    ne_nau.gif but I can't stand some of these companies and their restricitons :cry Good Luck and let us know if you need any help.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    ne_nau.gif but I can't stand some of these companies and their restricitons :cry Good Luck and let us know if you need any help.

I had a Startlogic website long before I ever heard of Smugmug. I have cancelled my webhosting, but still have my domain with them. If nobody at Smugmug has a clue as to what they are talking about, let me know. I just may have to switch to GoDaddy or Joker. I have been trying to avoid that, as my race season is approaching fast, and I fear down time.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I had a Startlogic website long before I ever heard of Smugmug. I have cancelled my webhosting, but still have my domain with them. If nobody at Smugmug has a clue as to what they are talking about, let me know. I just may have to switch to GoDaddy or Joker. I have been trying to avoid that, as my race season is approaching fast, and I fear down time.
    We don't know, sorry. I do recommend Joker and Godaddy (I use both).
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We don't know, sorry. I do recommend Joker and Godaddy (I use both).

I just chose Godaddy. Now it's just a matter of time before it gets done right.mwink.gif

edit:

I finished the authorization process, so I may be back for some help (if I can't figure it out) if and when the transfer is complete.

Thanks again for you quick reply Andy! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I just chose Godaddy. Now it's just a matter of time before it gets done right.mwink.gif

edit:

I finished the authorization process, so I may be back for some help (if I can't figure it out) if and when the transfer is complete.

Thanks again for you quick reply Andy! thumb.gif
    Hi Jeffro,

Godaddy is great, it works great and they don't charge a lot of money for domain hosting, I use it as well.

If you are having trouble setting your CNAME, email us at the helpdesk with your username and password, if you don't mind, and we'll set it up for you thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Jeffro,

Godaddy is great, it works great and they don't charge a lot of money for domain hosting, I use it as well.

If you are having trouble setting your CNAME, email us at the helpdesk with your username and password, if you don't mind, and we'll set it up for you thumb.gif

I've sent the info, requested here, so you guys can get me going! Thanks for the offer by the way! :D
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I've sent the info, requested here, so you guys can get me going! Thanks for the offer by the way! :D
    Hi Jeff, we'll hook you up no worries
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    All done, Jeff deal.gif

wave.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    All done, Jeff deal.gif

wave.gif

Cool...thanks. How long does it usually take until typing in www.leiningerphotos.com takes you to the www.leiningerphotos.smugmug.com? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    Cool...thanks. How long does it usually take until typing in www.leiningerphotos.com takes you to the www.leiningerphotos.smugmug.com? ne_nau.gif
    Jeff, when I say "done" I mean "done" :D It already works mate... :D
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Jeff, when I say "done" I mean "done" :D It already works mate... :D

Not for me. I get a Go Daddy page that says www.leiningerphotos.com is parked, it says coming soon. The same for leiningerphotos.com ......headscratch.gif I can only get there via www.leiningerphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    Not for me. I get a Go Daddy page that says www.leiningerphotos.com is parked, it says coming soon. The same for leiningerphotos.com ......headscratch.gif I can only get there via www.leiningerphotos.smugmug.com

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    give it 24-48 hours. It's working fine for me here in NY :)
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    give it 24-48 hours. It's working fine for me here in NY :)
    I thought it may take a day or two, but when you said it was done, done...I was like....Andy's on crack....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks man!
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I thought it may take a day or two, but when you said it was done, done...I was like....Andy's on crack....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks man!
    It is done - at least for me lol3.gif NY must be close to godaddy's internets or whatever...
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I just chose Godaddy. Now it's just a matter of time before it gets done right.

Be careful using Godaddy, especially if you value your domain.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Be careful using Godaddy, especially if you value your domain.

As if I wasn't just freaked out enough, by not finding my site when I typed in www.leiningerphotos.com. I trust Andy, and Smug's opinions, and I hope my site will be found very soon.

Andy....you did spell l e i n i n g e r p h o t o s correct didn't you.....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    As if I wasn't just freaked out enough, by not finding my site when I typed in www.leiningerphotos.com. I trust Andy, and Smug's opinions, and I hope my site will be found very soon.

Andy....you did spell l e i n i n g e r p h o t o s correct didn't you.....rolleyes1.gif
    Yo, :D
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yo, :D

I belived you! I'm not worried...............yet. :D
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It is done - at least for me lol3.gif NY must be close to godaddy's internets or whatever...

No, it's because Jefro has the old domain information in his DNS cache as he had previously accessed the domain when it resolved to the old site. As soon as his cache expires, he will be able to see the new location the domain resolves to. You, Andy, could see it right away because you had never accessed the domain before so no old information was in your DNS cache. thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    No, it's because Jefro has the old domain information in his DNS cache as he had previously accessed the domain when it resolved to the old site. As soon as his cache expires, he will be able to see the new location the domain resolves to. You, Andy, could see it right away because you had never accessed the domain before so no old information was in your DNS cache. thumb.gif

Nope....I thought of that...cleared everything, didn't work. I kept trying www.leiningerphotos.com, until finally it worked! thumb.gif

Typing leiningerphotos.com into google may take a bit longer, as it's still parked.

Oh well, I'm off to bed, work comes early. :D
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    Nope....I thought of that...cleared everything, didn't work. I kept trying www.leiningerphotos.com, until finally it worked!

You can't clear the DNS cache. It doesn't have anything to do with your web browser or computer. DNS information is cached in a DNS resolver, supplied by your ISP, for a certain amount of time, until that information is considered stale and expires.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    You can't clear the DNS cache. It doesn't have anything to do with your web browser or computer. DNS information is cached in a DNS resolver, supplied by your ISP, for a certain amount of time, until that information is considered stale and expires.

I learn something new everyday! In any case it's all been cleared and works fine for me now.

Once again I want to thank Andy for his help! thumb.gifclap.gif