Options

WTB: EF-S Compatible Tubes

pyanezpyanez Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited March 30, 2007 in House of Canon
Looking for an extension tube (or set of tubes) that will work on my Canon 60m EF-S lens - the Canon II tubes will work for sure but apparently some 3rd party as well.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    The Pro-Optic tudes from Adorama will work with both the EF and EF-S lens.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 29, 2007
    if dealing only with tubes, not teleconverters, EF or EFS shouldn't matter. tubes are just that, no optics, and EF/EFS have the same contacts. Only difference on EFS lenses is that rear element protrudes a little bit further - again, doesn't matter with a tube.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    if dealing only with tubes, not teleconverters, EF or EFS shouldn't matter. tubes are just that, no optics, and EF/EFS have the same contacts. Only difference on EFS lenses is that rear element protrudes a little bit further - again, doesn't matter with a tube.

*Grabs his Kenko tubes and kit lens to verify*

Nope. :D The Kenko tubes have a black inner ring (which I assume is to block stray light) which prevents sticking EF-S lenses on. I could grab my Dremel, but I can understand wanting to buy and just having it work out of the box.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Thanks Bob - that was my understanding - no kenkos on EF-S without surgery.

Thanks for the tip on the Tubes from Adorama - are you 100% sure about compatibility on EF-S?

Also begs the question... do any teleconverters work with EF-S lenses?

Thanks for any further info.
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    pyanez wrote:
    Thanks Bob - that was my understanding - no kenkos on EF-S without surgery.

Thanks for the tip on the Tubes from Adorama - are you 100% sure about compatibility on EF-S?

Also begs the question... do any teleconverters work with EF-S lenses?

Thanks for any further info.

Do keep in mind that it would take all of five minutes to modify the Kenko tubes to work - the EF-S lenses fit inside but are shy of being in deep enough to lock in place by a few mm, and all the electrical paths are out of the way, so the surgery would be quick and easy - I only own one EF-S lens (the original Rebel kit hunk-o-junk) so I havn't felt the need to modify mine.

ne_nau.gif Dunno about the teleconverters, though :D
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    The Adorama tubes state in the instructions that they are compatible and just to be sure, I tryed it with my kit lens and it worked perfectly.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 30, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    The Kenko tubes have a black inner ring (which I assume is to block stray light)
    that doesn't make a whole lot of sense - speaking purely optically. headscratch.gif

I don't have any tubes for my SLR, but I use them at work all the time on C-mount lenses and micrsocope objectives. There there are just that - tubes, an extension with male on one side and female on the other.

thanks for setting it straight Bob.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 30, 2007
    rjpat and Bob,

Thanks for the info... Having been one of the early knuckleheads to chop the back of the 18-55mm off to fit on my then camera, a 10D, (posted what turned out to be a fairly popular tutorial on how to do it)...

http://members.cox.net/byteseller/EFS-WEB/EFS-WEB.html

...I know that some of these mods are fairly easy, but modifying a tube filled with air seems a bit much, so Adorama it is.

BTW - Canon should be ashamed of their pricing on tubes -- how can they justify the overall high prices much less the SIGNIFICANTLY higher price for the 25mm over the 12mm Tube?

Once you build the electronic contacts, to make the tube longer you need about 25 cents more of materials, but they charge a WHOPPING $50 more for the extra 13mm of tube and cabling and of course the high quality Canon "L" air in the tube!!! I guess all of the growth in the internal Chinese market is driving the price of air through the roofeek7.gif