Options

Pakistani Marriage photos

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Weddings
I was at my cusion's marrige in Faisalabad a city in Pakistan

They hired a pro photographer so i was shooting for fun i was happy with H5 i wonder why pro was firing flash directly without difussing or bouncing anyway here are my photos and detail

Marriages in Pakistan

They last for 3 days don't be confused with Islamic wedding it is 2 day the 3rd day which is actually 1st day is something cultural event of this region India and Pakistan Bangladesh

1st day is Mehndi when bride's hands are decorated with Hina i missed that day this is day of dancing and music

Here are photos from 2nd day when actual weddikng takes place and marrige contract is signed etc etc

departure of groom's family and friends from home some firworks hand held photo
138279424-L.jpg

And bride's part welcome with rose pettle

138279222-L.jpg

small bag filled with sweets everyone gets it when groom reaches to place groom's family distributes them name of groom is written on them

138278300-L.jpg

After signing marrige contracts and other formalities bride and groom sits together well my cusion met her for 1st time in his life

138278009-L.jpg

then bride's sisters and friends come for other event groom has to drink what ever there is in jar some times salty milk this event is just for fun

138277537-L.jpg

138276173-L.jpg

138276355-L.jpg

138277601-L.jpg

138275487-L.jpg

And bride leaves her parents and other loved ones walking under Holy Book this is most emotional part :cry

138270838-L.jpg

here is portrait on next day called Waleema this day bride's family visit her at groom's house

138271326-L.jpg

all with H5 with on board flash
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007

138277601-L.jpg

138275487-L.jpg

These two are my favourites awais thumb.gif Very nice B&W conversion.Thankyou for showing them to us. You did very well & im sure everyone from both familys will love your shots.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007
    I like them all but particularly the two gus picked out-

looks like you did a great job-

I'd love to see some of them compared to the pro's pics-
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    Thanks Gus and George . I asked pro about photos he said they don't give digital files just prints !
    he was shooting with D70 and kit lens and flash but flash was not revolving head . headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    I also like the two gus picked out. There is so much color...wonderful to see! Thank you for sharing.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Wonderful job and great colors, Awais! I also like the 2 shots Gus picked out the best. Perhaps you should become a wedding photographer? mwink.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,828 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007
    Awais,

You did a truly marvelous job capuring the color and the excitement, the serious and the fun, the formality and the family. Superb, absolutely superb.

Thanks for sharing this joyous time with us,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    haha awais pwns the SLRs with the trusty sony p&s once again! nice fotos!
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Beautiful photos. What a wonderful slice of life from another culture.
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Amazing shots Awais! You sure do wonders with your Sony. I can only imagine what you would do with a DSLR.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Awais, I always look forward to seeing the glimpses of life in Pakistan that you give us. This series of images is great - I really like your black and white portrait, beautiful job.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    Thanks everyone
    i was glad that H5's flash recharge time didn't bother me at -1 settings videographer's light helped a lot clap.gif
    I am making my dad's and bro's mind to get R1 before bro's marrige mwink.gifrofl

My Gallery
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    138275487-S.jpg
    What a beautiful, beautiful image! Wonderful feel and post processing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    The Hina is beautiful, Awais. And how interesting that the little bags have English on them, that surprises me.

Thank you for another lesson in your culture! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Wow Awais
    Excellent work as usual. Love the colors, comps and overall feel of these. Truly great. clap.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    juliegrahamjuliegraham Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2007
    A great series. The black and white portrait and the final colour portrait are my favourites.

graham
    www.desktop-meditation.com
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    thanks again everyone.
    Sid English is quite popular and getting more popular here. :D

Btw i edited that bw portrait on my Vaio laptop it looks entirely different on my desktop i like what it looks like on desktop . Sepia but on laptop it is total Black and white headscratch.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Awais, you live in such a diverse culture and so different to western one. Keep them comming - variety is the spice of life.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    dancinkate wrote:
    138275487-S.jpg
    What a beautiful, beautiful image! Wonderful feel and post processing! thumb.gif

thumb.gif no doubt
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    steelephotography.comsteelephotography.com Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Great images Awais....
    I read every one of your posts Awais... It is wonderful to learn about your culture. That is one of the great unspoken things about D-Grin - in addition to learning about photography, you learn about other people and the way the live. That is a good thing...

Thanks.

DS
  • Options
    Moxie_15Moxie_15 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 27, 2007
    Amazing
    These are beautiful! This past weekend my husband, daughter and I were able to attend a Narouz celebration. We are quickly falling in love with the Pakistani culture. Everything about it is just so beautiful. Thanks for showing these! Nicely done.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Moxie_15 wrote:
    These are beautiful! This past weekend my husband, daughter and I were able to attend a Narouz celebration. We are quickly falling in love with the Pakistani culture. Everything about it is just so beautiful. Thanks for showing these! Nicely done.

Thanks everyone and Moxie i am glad you are falling in love with Pakistani culture it is so diverse even all Pakistanis don't know all about Pakistan, Most of my photos are shot in one city where i live . I hope someday i will able to travel through Pakistan with Camera infact i went to some very beautiful places of north but without camera :cry
    Btw i never heard Narouz Celebration whats that ? headscratch.gif

Regards

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Narouz--I think that is how you spell it? The New Year celebration? Sorry, I'm looking like an idiot, but yeah, such a gorgeous culture. So they did this mini-New Year celebration in our little city and had tons of persian food and dancing and poetry and they had a Haft-seen (that's what it's called, right?) on display and all sorts of gorgeous stuff. THEN they showed a Powerpoint presentation taking us on a tour of Iran and surrounding areas. OH MY GOSH. I actually walked out of there at the end quite jealous that I live amidst dull wheatfields. Pfft. Forget Hawaii, I am so going over there someday!! Excuse me, I am going to go search for more of your photos. :D

Thanks everyone and Moxie i am glad you are falling in love with Pakistani culture it is so diverse even all Pakistanis don't know all about Pakistan, Most of my photos are shot in one city where i live . I hope someday i will able to travel through Pakistan with Camera infact i went to some very beautiful places of north but without camera :cry
    Btw i never heard Narouz Celebration whats that ? headscratch.gif

Regards
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Moxie_15 wrote:
    Narouz--I think that is how you spell it? The New Year celebration? Sorry, I'm looking like an idiot, but yeah, such a gorgeous culture. So they did this mini-New Year celebration in our little city and had tons of persian food and dancing and poetry and they had a Haft-seen (that's what it's called, right?) on display and all sorts of gorgeous stuff. THEN they showed a Powerpoint presentation taking us on a tour of Iran and surrounding areas. OH MY GOSH. I actually walked out of there at the end quite jealous that I live amidst dull wheatfields. Pfft. Forget Hawaii, I am so going over there someday!! Excuse me, I am going to go search for more of your photos. :D

headscratch.gif
    Hmmm i think they displayed culture of Pakistani areas with Iran. They speak different language which i do not know may be word is from that language . There are different types of celebrations like when wheat or other crops are being cut off. Spring welcome fest . etc etc

Islamabadis are unlucky because here we don't have much programs then people in Lahore or other cities :cry

You are always welcome here . I hope you enjoy photos @my galleries :D

Wheatfeilds lol my dad is also a wheat guy rolleyes1.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    I was at my cusion's marrige in Faisalabad a city in Pakistan

After signing marrige contracts and other formalities bride and groom sits together well my cusion met her for 1st time in his life

138278009-L.jpg
    She is beautiful. I love the vibrant colors...very nice. So this is their first time meeting? Do they correspond in any way before the big day?
  • Options
    JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    When I first looked, I thought these were shot with a DSLR, but then I read on and found they were taken with a Sony H5!!! All I can say is WOW! bowdown.gif Great work! thumb.gif

I'm with Seneca, too, I like that photo she quoted! :D
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    The wedding is very similar to Indian Punjabi weddings. I think except the religious ceremony(which in our case happens in a Gurdwara) all other customs are same!
  • Options
    Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Awais, thank you for sharing these with us.

I esp. enjoyed the images of the bride's hands, the B&W conversion, and the images when they are all gathered around him as he drinks their offering.

Best wishes to them and you!
    - Deanna
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2007
    Ah yes, I apologize for mixing up the two cultures. Regardless, someday I WILL visit! :D And yes, I very much enjoyed your galleries! Thanks again!
    headscratch.gif
    Hmmm i think they displayed culture of Pakistani areas with Iran. They speak different language which i do not know may be word is from that language . There are different types of celebrations like when wheat or other crops are being cut off. Spring welcome fest . etc etc

Islamabadis are unlucky because here we don't have much programs then people in Lahore or other cities :cry

You are always welcome here . I hope you enjoy photos @my galleries :D

Wheatfeilds lol my dad is also a wheat guy rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2007
    Thanks all

Seneca : I don’t think so.In my chain of relatives it never happened .It was 1st marriage out of relatives. Parents are one who choose In relatives they know each other but after engagement they are not allowed to meet
    Well this is not strict rule it depends from situation to situation .

Tanveer I agree 100%

My Gallery