Equipment Carts

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited April 8, 2007 in Accessories
Does anyone use a Rock N Roller cart?

I am looking at getting the R12 (All-Terrain), but would like to hear from anyone who has used it if they are durable enough. I will probably also get the accessory shelf for it. I have used a Magliner Gemini Jr and a large flatbed with 10" pneumatic wheels and this seems to do what both of them do in one package.

Comments

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Doesn't Harry :harryuse somthing like that?

Fred
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Doesn't Harry :harryuse somthing like that?

Fred

He uses the Beach Rolly.

I was able to find a Rock N Roller locally at Guitar Center. They are interesting, a bit of a contraption, the way it can change to several different style carts. I would like to roll it around with a full load to see if it works well. It does not have designated handles, so I don't know if that would be an issue or not.
  • Angelica JacksonAngelica Jackson Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Equipment Carts
    I saw the thread on the rock'n'roller cart and it made me realize that although I've posted this question on our camera club forum, Digital Grin has a much larger brain-base to pull from!
    So I am having difficulty carrying my gear these days, after surgery to remove a tumor from my spine. It's been a year and although I can walk pretty well, it seems I cannot carry very much gear on my person. I have tried a Lowepro waistpack (BIG pain mistake), a rolling backpack with rollerblade wheels (does not do well off of paved surfaces, is loud on paved surfaces), and a safari vest. My husband is getting tired of schlepping my tripod; my camera is okay on a harness but then I have no way to carry my other lens and doodads plus the tripod.
    I am considering getting one of those heavy-duty foldable shopping carts like this http://premiercarts.com/folding_kitchen_carts.htm but the fact that they are made to be pulled may cause some problems. Somebody told me that they had seen a jogging-stroller type setup made for photography gear, but they were unsure whether one of the manufacturers made one or whether somebody had retrofitted a stroller.
    Has anybody seen one like that, or would you have any other suggestions? I have even thought of a dog to help me carry, but when our pointer used to help me out she made no distinction between when her pack was filled with Nerf balls or sensitive lenses! This is getting really frustrating, and I don't want to have to give up field trips. Thanks!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    edited March 31, 2007
    That looks very promising . . . before I posted my question, I did do a search for terms like cart and rolling, but didn't think to add beach. Thanks, Andy!
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    Unless you are moving ALL your furniture with you I think I would prefer the Beach Rolly that Harry uses. If it is good enough for Harry, it's good enough for me. mwink.gif I guess it all depends on what you really have to move around and how much gear you are carrying but the Rock N Roller cart seems a little too bulky for me. Just my opinion.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    Unless you are moving ALL your furniture with you I think I would prefer the Beach Rolly that Harry uses. If it is good enough for Harry, it's good enough for me. mwink.gif I guess it all depends on what you really have to move around and how much gear you are carrying but the Rock N Roller cart seems a little too bulky for me. Just my opinion.

I have a small cart similar to Harry's for moving a couple bags, but I do work on jobs where the back of an SUV is packed with lighting cases and they require a much larger cart. So it would not be my only cart, just when I need to move a lot of gear.
  • scarecrowscarecrow Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2007
    Is this what you are refering to?
    This is a thread that mentions a jogging cart for photo equipment.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0035qf&tag=
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Don't know if this is any help, but I have been looking at this item.

http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-trucks/compact-luggage-hand-trucks/products.cfm?action=view&key=TS009
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 1, 2007
    Fyi
    I've merged the two cart threads. Lots of good info in both.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    http://www.portercase.com/ppbig.htm

I don't use rollers...but if I had a sherpa and carried enough eq to use one it would be one of these. When I was a sherpa (assistant) the photographers I worked with loved these cases. When in rolling position you can stack stuff on them like a handtruck. Tough enough to stand on and still fairly lightweight. A little pricey, and push button closures can be a pain, but a great rolling case.
    edited April 4, 2007
    jogging strollers
    I had a chance today to stop at Babies'R'Us and take a look at jogging strollers. I ultimately decided they are not a good match for me because they are bigger than I want, but I thought I'd post some pros and cons about them for photography use:

Pros:
    Stable on all 3 wheels, very little vibration
    Easy to get over curbs
    Most have storage baskets under the seat as well
    Brakes are helpful
    Cup holders on handlebar looked like they were big enough to hold lenses
    Fold up for storage
    You can get rain covers to fit most of them
    Found used ones on Craigslist for as low as $35

Cons:
    Large and bulky (they have a lot of protection for babies, but I was not convinced that the bulk it adds would make it equally useful for equipment)
    No easy way to make good use of seat space
    The storage basket under the seat was just mesh, so if you hit a rock or something, you could give whatever is in there a good jolt.

Babies 'R' Us also carried the strollers designed to have a carrier attached to them, like this one That actually looked like a good match/much more flexible for different types of equipment. The only problem I had with it is that the back axle is very low (about 4") so it would not be suitable for offroad. For those that tend to stay on paved surfaces, though, the carrier stroller folds up nicely and is relatively inexpensive.
  • scarecrowscarecrow Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 8, 2007
    Jogging/stroller photo cart
    Found this thread. Scroll down for a picture.
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006bGh&tag=
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Here's what I now use:

This past year I got very tired toting my tripod, a couple of long lenses, two chairs, and a host of other things my wife insisted we needed on the flight line at the EAA convention (AirVenture) in Oshkosh last year. A yearly pilgrimage for many years, I know how hot it can get and how tired the old feet can become after walking miles seeing all the aircraft and displays.

Well, I saw this nifty chair/backpack/carrier (see attached picture I just assembled of the well-used rig). Folded, it can carry all my gear as well as a couple of bag chairs and water bottles. Unfolded, with nothing removed, it becomes a much-needed strong and comfortable seat. For storage or other reasons, the wheels pop off and the whole thing becomes a backpack with integral frame (though not all that comfortable). I have not seen it on the internet, and all the nomenclature and instructions indicate is it is from China. Nonetheless, they were selling like hotcakes in the FlyMarket at Oshkosh this past last weekend in August.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 8, 2007
    hgernhardtjr,

That's a pretty cool looking chair! That it functions as a backpack is a
    bonus.

Thanks for posting.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?