Options

Minor Feature - Password Gallery Featured Photos

{JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
edited January 22, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Now if you feature a photo inside a password protected gallery, we will use that photo instead of the Locked Gallery image. We also added a red minilock icon to the end of the gallery name, so users will not get confused if they follow a link on your homepage and end up at a password screen. i also made it easy to get rid of the icon or replace it if you are a pro; simply cut and paste the code below into the style sheet section of your cobranding:

.locked {
width: 9px;
height: 12px;
background: transparent url('/img/minilock.gif') no-repeat;
margin-left: 5px;
}

Replce the /img/minilock.gif to the pathway of your new image. It should be 9 pixels wide by 12 pixels tall though. Let me know if you need help.

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

thumb.gifclap.gif:Dbowdown.gifylsuper.gif

I love it, now I'm gonna go use it.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Sweeeeet!
    Nice feature, JT!clap.gif

If you don't mind my asking: are there other css styles we can set/modify?
    Is there a list somewhere? Or this is a first one?

Thanks!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    I don't want to steal Baldy's thunder; but he just created one yesterday:
    http://smugmug.com/help/custom-colors

I will be going through the site shortly though and adding more classes and areas that pros can customize on their own.

Nikolai wrote:
    Nice feature, JT!clap.gif

If you don't mind my asking: are there other css styles we can set/modify?
    Is there a list somewhere? Or this is a first one?

Thanks!thumb.gif
  • Options
    sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    We also added a red minilock icon to the end of the gallery name, so users will not get confused if they follow a link on your homepage and end up at a password screen.

Cool!

Can we also get a little icon to indicate that a gallery is private? Something displayed only when logged in would be fine with me. Perhaps a picture of glasses with an X through them, or something cleverer...
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Funny, I just found this new 'feature' when I looged into my account this morning. I think to myself, "My password protected photos are now visible to the public without entering a password?" So, I come here to let you know about a bug. Oh well...
    {JT} wrote:
    Now if you feature a photo inside a password protected gallery, we will use that photo instead of the Locked Gallery image. We also added a red minilock icon to the end of the gallery name, so users will not get confused if they follow a link on your homepage and end up at a password screen. i also made it easy to get rid of the icon or replace it if you are a pro; simply cut and paste the code below into the style sheet section of your cobranding:

.locked {
    width: 9px;
    height: 12px;
    background: transparent url('/img/minilock.gif') no-repeat;
    margin-left: 5px;
    }

Replce the /img/minilock.gif to the pathway of your new image. It should be 9 pixels wide by 12 pixels tall though. Let me know if you need help.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2005
    Mick,
    I hope your "oh well" isn't to indicate you don't like the new feature. If it is, youc an just un feature the photo. I quite like it, and to me this is no minor upgrade, but it's HUGE.
  • Options
    rmsrms Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Thank you!
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    Concerning this new feature, I really don't care one way or the other. It just bothered me that some photos that I had protected with a password were suddenly made visible to the public. I had to go through all of my password protected galleries and un-feature the featured photos.

Just out of curiosity, why do you see this as a HUGE advancement? What can you do with this feature?
    Mick,

I hope your "oh well" isn't to indicate you don't like the new feature. If it is, youc an just un feature the photo. I quite like it, and to me this is no minor upgrade, but it's HUGE.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    Well, the reason my passworded galleries are passworded aren't so that nobody can see the photos as much as they are so that nobody who I don't want to can buy the photos. I always found the Password Protected logo to detract from the overall look from the site, plus now I can feature an indictive photo so that if someone goes to my sports gallery, they will see a basketball photo next to basketball, football next to football, etc. Ok, so it doesn't do anything, but that password protected logo was just one of those little things that really bugged me.
    Richard
  • Options
    sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    micknewton wrote:
    Concerning this new feature, I really don't care one way or the other. It just bothered me that some photos that I had protected with a password were suddenly made visible to the public. I had to go through all of my password protected galleries and un-feature the featured photos.

I think that if you want to protect your photos from being viewed by the public, you need to make them private and use sharegroups.

By the way, what does featuring a photo do in a password protected gallery in the past? I thought the only point of featured photos was to show up in the listing of galleries, and before this change, password protected galleries only showed the little lock picture.
  • Options
    volcs0volcs0 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Fantastic. Thanks so much. I want my galleries password protected, but I hated that whole page of padlocks! This is perfect.