Options

How-to make photos look like these...

marygracemarygrace Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited February 8, 2005 in Finishing School
14643439-O.jpg

14643503-M.jpg

Can someone teach me how to create blown out conversions that make color photos look like these? None of the b/w actions I've investigated/created have even come close. I've been wracking my brain and now it's officially hurting.

Thanks so much!
marygrace
my photos go here

D200
D70
18-70/3.5
85/1.8
50/1.8
lens baby 2.0

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    Their all asleep in here marygrace so i will have a shot at it....im sitting up contemplating the benefits of air-cond.

To my inexperienced eye i would suggest they look a bit duo-tone, maybe you could search the net for a duo-tone plug in & give it a burl.

Gus
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    [edit]
    man do I feel like a fool :D I wasn't really paying attention and went from gus' post... silly me... Oh well, as for the question on creating strong highlights. You can do a curve adjustment to pump the highlights, unmask where you don't want to, that's it :D I'll leave the rest also here, because it might be of use mwink.gif
    [/edit]
    Excellent tutorial here:
    http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=118
    I've made this photo with that tutorial:
    28716700.jpg
    If I can get the .atn from photoshop I can upload the action for it to an ftp server.. just have to figure out how :D
    To adjust it to get a result that looks lik your examples you might want to include a greenish tint instead of a brown, I think that'll do the trick!
    Hope this helped
    [edit]
    here's the atn :D you can adjust the colors of the solid color layers. I'd suggest a greenish tint. In the action there's also a slight curves adjustment, which you can either drop or tweak to your liking. To add a little extra pop to the image I've included a selective color layer for the blacks. Let me know if you need more info for working with the action mwink.gif
    http://www.digital-eye.nl/photoshop_atn/Duotoning.atn
    [/edit]
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    Marygrace, I've only made one overexposed image. I think the trick is to make different versions of the photo, with different exposures, then layer them, and use masks to show the bits you want to show. Does that make sense?

7098524-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    marygrace wrote:
    Can someone teach me how to create blown out conversions that make color photos look like these? None of the b/w actions I've investigated/created have even come close. I've been wracking my brain and now it's officially hurting.

Thanks so much!
    Just guessing, but I would think you could get that look by using the B&W conversion technique of your choice and then using a Curves adjustment. The idea would be to try and keep farily normal contrast in the darker areas, but pushing the lighter areas towards white. Maybe something like this:
    14667857-M.jpg

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    marygrace wrote:
    14643439-O.jpg

14643503-M.jpg

Thanks so much!
    Marygrace,

I just played with a portait of mine for about 10 seconds and it seems that using channel mixer will work.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    you people are amazing. have i ever said that yet? amazing, amazing people who like to help a gal out...thanks so much! now i'm going to go and work at it...

THANKS!!
    marygrace
    my photos go here

D200
    D70
    18-70/3.5
    85/1.8
    50/1.8
    lens baby 2.0
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    Yup, I got it. Looks like channel mixer's the key...Thanks!
    marygrace
    my photos go here

D200
    D70
    18-70/3.5
    85/1.8
    50/1.8
    lens baby 2.0
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    I also get the same effect with nik filter duplex and chose the color grey.

Or you can some of the effect just increasing the contrast.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me