>>> LPS#2 Semifinalists List!

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited April 5, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Congratulations are in order, the 10 dgrinners below are now qualified for the semifinal starting May 14!

:clap :clap :clap :clap

140818086-M-1.jpg
gefillmore - goin the speed limit (or less)

140818134-M-1.jpg
vandana - blessed are the humble, for they shall inherit the earth

140339334-M-1.jpg
lynnesite - His Majesty's Daughter

140818255-M-1.jpg
davev - capital

140818360-M-1.jpg
kingmamaof2 - the humbleness of a child

140340220-M-1.jpg
rddphotos - mountains and sky

140340368-M-1.jpg
Nikolai - humble beginning

140340447-M-1.jpg
Swartzy - humble poet

140340940-M-1.jpg
sunione - polishing the stairs

140343010-M-1.jpg
seastack - against time and tide

These are all in a gallery of LPS Finalists, here (cumulative, for all contests):
http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2605319

The original LPS#2 thread with all entries is here:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=56722

Thanks to the judges of this round for their service! :thumb
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    nice choices - congrats everyone!
    Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • intentional_noiseintentional_noise Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congratulations all! Most of my favorites were in that one too!

clap.gif
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congrats to all the qualifiers! Great job!
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congratulations to all the winners. Great photos and a really fabulous set of entires. Bravo! wings.gif

Virginia

Email
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congrats to the winnersclap.gif. Since there were 100 entries, you are now in the top 10 percentwings.gif.

Jill
    Jill
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Good Choices!
    Congratulations, everyone!!! clap.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congratulations to the winners! clap.gif

I'm pleased to say that I of the 18 I selected as possible winners, 8 of them are here! I'm getting better at seeing what the judges see as winners - so from that standpoint, I feel good! (that's compared to 1 last time! YIKES!)

Good luck to all in the next round! thumb.gif
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congrats to the winning ten! clap.gif

I'm pleased to say that I of the 18 I selected as possible winners, 8 of them are here! I'm getting better at seeing what the judges see as winners - so from that standpoint, I feel good! (that's compared to 1 last time! YIKES!)
    I wish I could say that! I picked 3 of 10 in LPS 1, and 3 of 10 in LPS 2. I don't seem to have a clue of what people are looking for. headscratch.gif

However, hope springs eternal, and I'll try again.

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congrats everyone. The images deserve the recognition because they are all good. Some of the concepts and interpretation of the theme are excellent.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    JimW wrote:
    . I don't seem to have a clue of what people are looking for. headscratch.gif

Don't be too dissapointed you got company :deadhorse
    :D
  • vkg1979vkg1979 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    a humble opinion
    congrats to all the winners..but i'm highly disappointed with the results..to me many photos don't convey the topic..spare my ignorance but the dictionary meaning of humble is..hum·ble premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif /ˈhʌmthinsp.pngbəl, ˈʌm-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[huhm-buhthinsp.pngl, uhm-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -bler, -blest, verb, -bled, -bling. –adjective 1.not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful. 2.having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.: In the presence of so many world-famous writers I felt very humble. 3.low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humble origin; a humble home. 4.courteously respectful: In my humble opinion you are wrong. 5.low in height, level, etc.; small in size: a humble member of the galaxy. –verb (used with object) 6.to lower in condition, importance, or dignity; abase. 7.to destroy the independence, power, or will of. 8.to make meek: to humble one's heart.
    firstly, the pic showing the child..which of the following meanings r depicted?or r innocence & humility synonyms.
    secondly,is being old humble? i didn't know that!
    thirdly,polishing stairs is humble..aren't we all humble who do our household work then..wish i'd put my pic mopping the floors.
    fourthly,is that poet more humble than so many other pics which showed humility in the true sense...
    Coming to stately,how come those rocks r stately or r they humble?i'm confused..please help!!

with all due respect i feel the judges r over looking the topics ..why have a title when we don't do justice to it..lets tell everyone to click beautiful pictures..thats what matters(may be)
    i'm a new grinner..i'm not writing all this to prove the phrase"grapes r sour" lets just that i like to be straight forward..i'm a learner..the response i got from my fellow grinners was amazing..thanks a lot once again but the results have really puzzled me..all i want to know is that is the topic really important or we should just go ahead & click great pics!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 3, 2007
    vkg1979 wrote:
    with all due respect i feel the judges r over looking the topics
    here we go again...

Judges are human, and like you, they have their own interpretation of photography, which is a subjective art. Maybe you'll be asked to judge one these contests. If so, do you think everyone would agree with your choices?
    Erik

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congratulations to all! I'm not surprised by the winners at all....there were so many great shots I would have had a really difficult time choosing if I were judging. thumb.gif
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congrats!!
    Congratulations to all the winners.....there was some stiff competition this time and wonderful options for the judges. Selected many that the judges selected this time (only 2 last time) ......now I have to work and become a selectee wings.gif!!!
  • j photogj photog Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Great choices....but....
    DoctorIt wrote:
    here we go again...

Judges are human, and like you, they have their own interpretation of photography, which is a subjective art. Maybe you'll be asked to judge one these contests. If so, do you think everyone would agree with your choices?

I just wondered. I thought we weren't supposed to have to explain the image in a title. It should just be an obvious shot. I dunno what the judges are looking for. *sighs*
    art is life
  • ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    j photog wrote:
    I just wondered. I thought we weren't supposed to have to explain the image in a title. It should just be an obvious shot. I dunno what the judges are looking for. *sighs*

I have to agree with that, the photo should convey the topic without explanation. However, I looked at the image of the budding tree with the big tree in the background entitled something like humble beginning. In that case it was very approprate I thought, a title I suppose.

Wonderful photos in this round everyone!
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    I suspect at least some of the judges will provide critiques of images and maybe some insight into selections (My vote for #1 goes to lynnsite's "His Majesty's Daughter"). How 'bout critiques from you Doctor It? (uh oh, now I've done it, laid down the challenge, big trouble, may regret this)

(BTW, ericgtr, you're rockin' out gumby cracks me up, awesome)
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Wonderful photos all, big congrats!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 3, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    How 'bout critiques from you Doctor It? (uh oh, now I've done it, laid down the challenge, big trouble, may regret this)
    Where's that "ban" button again... lol3.gif

I'm sorry, I just don't have time. My work as mod takes precedence over judging and critique. I wish I had time for more photography, heck, I don't even remember the last time I posted one of my own photos!

I'll just shuffle along with my mop and bucket, its been a busy day.
    Erik

• behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congratulations to all the qualifiers.
    Looking forward to the next round, but have not come up with the slightest glimpse of inspiration, yet.
    This being my first time entering I want to say that this is for sure the best photography websites I have come across so far, at least it is the one I enjoy the most. None of that patting each other on the back and buddies business. And none of that licking up to. At least I have not seen any of it, yet.
    I’m not even here for the money. I just enjoy the straight talk and the challenge of the LPS comp. Should I ever succeed in one, the winning will be the most important part, not the dosh. And I’ve already learned one major truth in a short space of time: If some of the winning pictures don’t appear to have anything to do with the theme, it’s because some of the Homo sapiens on the panel hold a different few to mine. :D
    Total agreement on 'His Majesty's Daughter' and 'humble beginning', though, my absolute favs. thumb.gif
    Robert
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    I'm sorry, I just don't have time. My work as mod takes precedence over judging and critique. I wish I had time for more photography, heck, I don't even remember the last time I posted one of my own photos!

I'll just shuffle along with my mop and bucket, its been a busy day.

:tough

(You lucked out, I couldn't find a chicken ;-)
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congrats to all the placers in this one...this was a very tough theme! I can't wait to see how LPS #3 will turn out.:D
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Thanks, Seastack and Robert, about mine as your pick. Take this how you will, fellow shooters, but only picked 4 of the 10 (gotta get home and look at my list), my list of deserving "runners up" was quite long this time and had a couple more that made the cut--and *I* am a judge this next challenge. 6 judges, right? Many points of view.

Horses are easy to catch looking stately, the first challenge conceptually 'bout killed me.
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Congrats to all the semi-finalists! Excellent photos!
  • RistyzRistyz Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Congrats to all the semi-finalists! I had 6/10 right..... yippee!
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Congrats to all the semi-finalists!!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • PhotoMinerPhotoMiner Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 4, 2007
    Congratulations winners!
    The winning photographers did an outstanding job! Congratulations! clap.gif

A few words to the confused photographers... I too am confused as to why the judges picked certain photos and didn't pick others. But instead of getting frustrated or upset, I'm just taking it as part of the learning process.

Do you like Picasso? I don't. Yeah, I know that makes me one of the people who don't understand "fine art". I think my UN-talented kids make better paintings than he did. Am I "right" or "wrong"? Nope. It's my OPINION and I'm entitled to it. Just like the judges are entitled to their opinions.

When I tried to pick the winners, I picked 3 that I thought MUST be winners. Only 2 of them were. I picked 17 more that I thought COULD be winners. Only 3 of them were picked. And if I had made a "No way" list, one of the winners would have been on it. (BTW - My own photo "Cliff Dwelling" did NOT make either of MY lists!)

So now it's time to go back and review the ones I didn't pick to understand what the judges saw in them. Most of the ones not on my list were good photos, but I didn't want to make a "top 50" list. :D And conversely, I'll study the others I picked to learn what the judges didn't like. I've already seen a reason to reject the 1 from my top 3 that didn't win. (It was rotated slightly - enough to hinder the stately impact.)

Dan :photo
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Congratulations
    to the semifinalists!

But more -- congratulations to everyone who entered the challenge and didn't make it to the semifinals. I know that many people spent a lot of time and worked very hard at submitting an image they were hoping would be chosen.

Out of my personal top ten only 3 were chosen this time. Back in the old STF challenge days 2 or 3 of my 'net friends would pick our favorites and compare notes. It was very interesting to see our choices (which differed) compared to the photos that actually made the top ten via public voting. I'm no closer now than I was then at predicting the winners, whether it's a group of judges or over 100-200 individual voters, sigh!