Options

My Photo Used In An Ad Campaign!

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited April 3, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
i worked for oasis children's services llc this summer as a division leader and photographer. oasis uses my photos for promotional brochures as well as advertisements. if you live in the new york metro area and you see an ad for oasis day camps, the photo is mine! :D that's not even the best part. . . the american camping association (aca) saw my photos for oasis and is using one for their mta ad campaign! :barb if you ride metro north, lirr, or the subway system (i'm not 100% positive about the subways), you may come across this ad featuring my photo!

check it out:

the ad:
129095078-L.jpg

the ad at my town's station(!):
129095101-L.jpg

the original photo:
92233760-L.jpg

i would not call this picture my best work, as it is blown out:cry, but the aca loved it!

thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif CONGRATS!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Excellent, well done, I'd love to see an image of mine used for something, anything!

Charlie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    That must feel very gratifying. Congratulations.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    That is so cool. You gotta be totally stoked!
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    So what types of compensation are you getting?
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Congrats! Very cool and exciting!!! Great shot!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Congrats!
    It's nice to feel appreciated!
    I also hope you got some $$ from it:-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Congrats. It's a nice feeling & I see why they like the shot--it's a "feel good" shot, so didn't have to be technically perfect.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    That is great news, congratulations! Use that as a springboard.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Congratulations! I'll have to look for them the next time I'm on the LIRR.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    wow, thank you all so much for your support!

i asked the aca for only for a small compensation for the picture because i wanted to make sure they would use my picture instead of another one. having something like that on my resume is worth a lot more than the money.

i hope this is a sign of things to come!
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    binghott wrote:
    i asked the aca for only for a small compensation for the picture because i wanted to make sure they would use my picture instead of another one.

That's usually bad business, at least among fellow shooters. It's also called selling yourself short. You even said yourself "I would not call this picture my best work, as it is blown out:cry, but the aca loved it!" Did they really love it, or did they love the price? That's what I would ask myself. Now if they chose your picture over all others, and you had not MADE SURE they would pick yours it would be different.
    biginhott wrote:
    having something like that on my resume is worth a lot more than the money.

Is it really? That will be a tough one to prove. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but more trying to get you to think about this a different way.

But maybe I should mind my own business, and let you enjoy this......
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 26, 2007
    pretty neat barry-
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    That's usually bad business, at least among fellow shooters. It's also called selling yourself short. You even said yourself "I would not call this picture my best work, as it is blown out:cry, but the aca loved it!" Did they really love it, or did they love the price? That's what I would ask myself. Now if they chose your picture over all others, and you had not MADE SURE they would pick yours it would be different.

i appreciate the comments jeffro! technically speaking, i didn't have to be compensated for the photo at all because i had already been paid to take the picture for oasis. basically, i share the rights to the photos with oasis: oasis can use my photos for promotional, marketing, and internal purposes, however they cannot sell or transfer them or their rights without my consent. i am allowed to use the photos for my portfolio, but cannot sell them without oasis' consent.

in this situation, oasis granted permission as long as my commission was minimal, because they wanted to make sure that the ad campaign featured oasis and didn't want the aca to pick another cheaper photo. i wouldn't have asked for that much and the aca really loved the photo, but still, oasis wanted to play it safe. i could have asked for more, but i really didn't care, oasis paid me well and i was proud to have my photo used like that.
    Jeffro wrote:
    Is it really? That will be a tough one to prove. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but more trying to get you to think about this a different way.

But maybe I should mind my own business, and let you enjoy this......

thank you for your comment, you didn't burst my bubble at all! in my mind it seems like having a new york metro ad campaign is a nice notch in my belt. you might be right that it might not do anything for me, but hey, it can't hurt.

next time i'll ask for more money thumb.gif
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    binghott wrote:
    i appreciate the comments jeffro! technically speaking, i didn't have to be compensated for the photo at all because i had already been paid to take the picture for oasis. basically, i share the rights to the photos with oasis: oasis can use my photos for promotional, marketing, and internal purposes, however they cannot sell or transfer them or their rights without my consent. i am allowed to use the photos for my portfolio, but cannot sell them without oasis' consent.

in this situation, oasis granted permission as long as my commission was minimal, because they wanted to make sure that the ad campaign featured oasis and didn't want the aca to pick another cheaper photo. i wouldn't have asked for that much and the aca really loved the photo, but still, oasis wanted to play it safe. i could have asked for more, but i really didn't care, oasis paid me well and i was proud to have my photo used like that.

thank you for your comment, you didn't burst my bubble at all! in my mind it seems like having a new york metro ad campaign is a nice notch in my belt. you might be right that it might not do anything for me, but hey, it can't hurt.

next time i'll ask for more money thumb.gif

Explained like that it makes me feel a little better about it. :D Like that matters....rolleyes1.gif I know we all get a kick out of seeing our photos in prime locations, and it is hard to resist the "as long as someone sees it" thing..but we need to. You seem to have thought it out a bit more than I first thought.

So good for you!thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Congradulations on that and take that as a way to get noticed even more. Nothing to lose.
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal