Options

First Post; Be Gentle

fercoferco Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 4, 2007 in Landscapes
Yup my first post here- looks pretty cool- Now I have seen in some of the forums that people tend to post the original and their edit??? So have done so:

The original:

140911429-L.jpg

And my edit:

140933604-L.jpg

Just wanted to know what you thought; have I gone too far in the edit?

Comments

• Options
    gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    first off, i really like the composition of this shot. very nice. it may benefit a little from a slight crop, maybe make the tree branches end at the top 3rd of the frame.

the edit may be a bit red for my tastes...however, i am on vacation and im not on my calibrated monitor.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    I think you have gone to red for sure. Look at the bush in the lower left- very unnatural. I think reduce the red and crop some of the top.

Welcome to dgrin!! thumb.gif

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    As a newbie myself, I can't really impart much Dgrin knowledge, but I will say I think this image is a bit overdone. You've got a great original to work with, but I think this is a perfect example of where saturation has gone a bit too far--almost to the point where the reds/oranges appear garish. I often will process my photos, and then leave the room for a bit. When I come back in to look at the monitor, many times the image will strike me as unnatural or overdone. That's when I sit back down and tone it back a bit. I would recommend trying that when you process--it helps immensely. That being said--to each his/her own. As I mentioned earlier, I think this image has great potential, but it was taken just a bit too far in this version. Best of luck in the future! And I also agree with the slight crop comment. Might be nice with a square crop as well.
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com
  • Options
    fercoferco Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 4, 2007
    Ok will try that crop idea- also that is a good plan for checking the saturation isn't too high ^^ cheers will do that next time.
    Thanks for the feedback- I personally thought the contrast was too much and there was too much red but I wasn't sure if I was just wimping out too early or not... some people seem to get a way with things by playing the confidence card lol oh well back to the... well computer monitor I guess
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    ferco wrote:
    Yup my first post here- looks pretty cool- Now I have seen in some of the forums that people tend to post the original and their edit??? So have done so:

The original:
    And my edit:
    Just wanted to know what you thought; have I gone too far in the edit?

Welcome to Dgrin Ferco :D
    I really like your editing on this particular shot.
    It looks like a typical Australian Outback Scene, even though its not nod.gif .
    Sure it's heavily saturated but it goes well with the scene itself.

Thanks for sharing, I hope you will continue to post :D ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin