Options

Sparring

mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
edited April 4, 2007 in Sports
I took my 85 mm to sparring this weekend, and managed to get what I think are some pretty interesting shots. If you can comment or critique, please do so-- I know these aren't the best, and the 85 might have been a bit tight for some of these, so any other critique is very welcome.

A lot of the sparrers like these kinds of shots, because it helps them to see their mistakes. I've left out those shots, because unless you know what to look for, they usually just look like two people facing each other, maybe with a leg raised or something. These are the more dramatic shots, I think.

First, one of the senior instructors points out one of the flaws in a black belt's defense:
141097761-M.jpg

This same black belt faced off against another instructor, managing to get a kick deflection:
141097950-M.jpg

but then had to figure out what to do against an axe kick:

141098229-M.jpg

The same instructor sparred with a red belt next, giving him a valuable lesson about not running into side kicks:

141097062-M.jpg

It took a bit for the red belt to learn, and he did it again:
141097444-M.jpg

The red belt then realized the power of the technique, delivering a pretty mighty blow that stopped the match for a few minutes:

141097568-M.jpg

Thus forcing the instructor himself to come up with a counter:

141097674-M.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome!

One side note: I realize that a flash would be _very_ useful here, but I don't want to distract them as they go about their work. If they let me, I might bring one in, and maybe switch to a 50 1.4.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 3, 2007
    technical difficulties...
    Does anyone know why the images here are only showing up randomly? Is pbase really that bad for posting here?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    Does anyone know why the images here are only showing up randomly? Is pbase really that bad for posting here?
    G'day MM i pasted your linking my browser & can see the photos..i dont know why they are not showing but i dont know if you need to allow photos to be shared from your galleries.

You had some tough light & fast movement to contend with there.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2007
    gus wrote:
    G'day MM i pasted your linking my browser & can see the photos..i dont know why they are not showing but i dont know if you need to allow photos to be shared from your galleries.

You had some tough light & fast movement to contend with there.

Hi Gus, thanks for checking them out. I don't think there's a sharing option I need to set up, and I've shared from pbase before with no such similar problems. That the URL formation has changed might mean they're doing some tricky load-balancing server trick, but that's still strange.

And it's the no-light-fast-movement that I know I need help with, so I'm really hoping for some tips on that (apart from using a flash).
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 4, 2007
    "You don't have permission to access /o6/84/449284/1/76509048.fXnPOOke._DSC7658.jpg on this server."

I'm not familiar with pbase but here are a couple of posting pointers.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    "You don't have permission to access /o6/84/449284/1/76509048.fXnPOOke._DSC7658.jpg on this server."

I'm not familiar with pbase but here are a couple of posting pointers.

Well, according to pbase, I shouldn't be getting those errors. So, I've edited the original post, and all of those images now use smugmug, so hopefully, there's no problems seeing them now :)

And again, I'd really like to learn how to improve on these shots, so comments and critiques are definitely welcome.