Options

Playing in Lightroom and some self portraits

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited April 6, 2007 in People
I've been trying to expand myself a lot lately. Not sure it's working, but I've had fun - and that's important, too!

As a side note, the processing for all photos was done in Lightroom - and that's what I'd love the most commenting on. Also, I'd love feedback on my two color shots. Do they look right or is there a color cast as I keep seeing?

Here are some shots I've taken lately. I know the first one isn't a "people", but I'm sneaking it in since it's my daughter's dragonfly wings.

141251880-M.jpg

My girls in front of the coolest door here in Crested Butte! (Okay, one of the many coolest doors.)
141251895-M.jpg

141251920-M.jpg

I've also started a self portrait a day project after seeing someone else doing it here on DGrin. (You know who you are :D - feel free to share yours, too.) She has some amazing photos and it just seemed so cool.... So I've been doing it. I LOVE doing it! It's hard for so many reasons, but I've also expanded what I'll try to do and it's definitely made me grow as a photographer in the short time I've done it. You can see the rest here: http://www.tippiepics.com/selfportrait (in reverse order)

My two favorites right now:

While this certainly isn't the most flattering photo of me, I love that I took this random snapshot and got both girls looking at the camera! Shocker! I had no clue it was even remotely decent until I downloaded it. Fun.
141251937-M.jpg

This is one of my favorites because I came up with this idea that morning and it turned out like I had planned. That's always fun.
141251842-M.jpg

CC is ALWAYS welcome on any of my photos... Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 5, 2007
    one thing about sp's: you can have a willing and available subject who will usually do whatever you request-

well, maybe that's three things-

really enjoyed these photos-

love yours and the girls' expressions; great!-

and the hair one's cool-
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Beautiful! I love these as portraits! thumb.gif

I don't quite get the last photo though headscratch.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I love the contrast in colors and texture in the second shot. Great job.

Lex
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I certainly dont wish this to sound patronising as its the last thing im trying to convey ...but... i cannot believe the improvement im seeing in your work lately. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    The shots of the girls are nice but I really like the last one. Would make a nice B&W too.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I love the little girl portraits, you've caught them beautifully, well done.

Charlie
  • Options
    W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    gdad wrote:
    The shots of the girls are nice but I really like the last one. Would make a nice B&W too.

15524779-Ti.gif

Can you show us a B&W version?
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    one thing about sp's: you can have a willing and available subject who will usually do whatever you request-

well, maybe that's three things-

really enjoyed these photos-

love yours and the girls' expressions; great!-

and the hair one's cool-

Thanks so much! It's amazing what my subject is willing to put up with.... If only she wasn't so grumpy all the time! Prima donna....

Thanks for the comments!
    Beautiful! I love these as portraits! thumb.gif

I don't quite get the last photo though headscratch.gif
    Thanks a lot! The last photo makes more sense if you understand two things - I was VERY tired that morning and I also had a theme going - and that day was indigo. I woke and thought, "I am so tired - maybe a shot of me looking tired? How? Not my face - that's way TOO tired! With my jeans? Indigo jeans?" Anyway, you get the idea.... I wanted all natural light with more punch in the color without overdoing it. Just a portrait that turned out like I planned, which is always fun....
    I love the contrast in colors and texture in the second shot. Great job.

Lex
    Thanks, Lex!!
    I certainly dont wish this to sound patronising as its the last thing im trying to convey ...but... i cannot believe the improvement im seeing in your work lately. thumb.gif
    :cry Waaah! I used to suck!

rolleyes1.gif Heh, seriously, thank you. Actually, I feel like I've been in a HUGE slump until relatively recently. I look back at photos I was taking last year and am really happy with them and have been trying to get back to that point.... I think starting the self portrait project has been pretty liberating for me and forced me to try a lot of different things and has freed up my creativity a lot. Hopefully it sticks!

Thanks again! I really do appreciate it. :D
    Thanks, Gdad! I actually have another version of this photo I did in B&W for my avatar for a while. I was pleased with that, too, but since color is much harder for me and I was so happy with it in this photo, I stuck with it. Thanks again!

I love the little girl portraits, you've caught them beautifully, well done.

Charlie
    Charlie, thanks so much! They do make it easy since they are so darn cute, though... :D
    15524779-Ti.gif

Can you show us a B&W version?

Thanks! I hope you don't mind me posting two. The conversion of the above photo turned out good in B&W, but I felt the second one had more interest in it after conversion. I do like the asymmetry of the original better, but felt it didn't have enough punch to it in B&W. You?

But I think this one did capture my mood better. I look tired here and...
    141335220-M.jpg

really depressed here. LMAO!
    141335224-M.jpg

Thanks to all! :D
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I just love that self portrait with your girls!!! The expressions are all great, the colors are great...it's just a ton of fun! Well done and good for you for taking on the portrait-a-day idea. Sounds like a good challenge on so many levels. Keep it up!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    andi,
    i liked looking at your pics and gallery. i love to see your excitement and creativity - it's motivating. sorry, don't know lightroom, but your pics look great!

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Andi, I love your SP with the kids! Really awesome! I love your other shots as well. I have been following the 'other' Dgrinner's Sps as well. Very fun project and as photographers, "we" are rarely in the shots. I think down the road this will make an awesome gift to your children someday. :D
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Cool stuff Andie
    Lots of creativity here and love the processing. Way to stretch out! :ivar
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    This is a wonderful image. The sheer joy in the faces, the composition, the color... it all works terrifically.

141251937-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2007
    Thanks so much, all! Wow! I really appreciate the kind words....

I'm still shocked that the snapshot of the three of us turned out so well. and pleased, too!

Thanks again! :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 6, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    This is a wonderful image. The sheer joy in the faces, the composition, the color... it all works terrifically.

141251937-M.jpg

I keep coming back to this photo-

I agree with sid, just a wonderful image-
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:

Thank you so much! :D
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:

Yeah i keep looking at it also...its just got something, it really has. The tones boost it so well & the expressions. That is a really great photo.
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Wonderful shots. I agree with everyone else on the shot with you and the girls. I especially like the expression of your oldest daughter in that picture.