Woody Curves

chuckhchuckh Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited February 29, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Image taken at a recent school concert for my son:

Comments

• Options
    edited February 21, 2004
    And a second along the same theme, both images with minimal processing. I'm such a newbie at this, your comments, suggestions very welcome:
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    wave.gif Welcome aboard, Chuck! Post more. JMHO, I personally like the curves you capture. But I'm having a hard time cropping the image to make it work. You might check out the photo tips in Photo 101... lots of suggestions in there for framing shots.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    wave.gif Welcome aboard, Chuck! Post more. JMHO, I personally like the curves you capture. But I'm having a hard time cropping the image to make it work. You might check out the photo tips in Photo 101... lots of suggestions in there for framing shots.
    Thanks Sid!

I cropped and rotated one of the images slightly in PhotoShop Elements. Do you think this is an improvement?
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2004
    That's pretty good, Chuck. I'm thinking that how you shoot the shot in the first place will make the biggest difference. I'd have to try it myself to give you more practical advice. For example, maybe in the first shot the top of the instrument could be going diagonally across the frame? Or you could shoot the same angle that you have, but fill the bottom of the shot with the instrument, and have the top curves only appear in the top third?

Those could both be awful ideas! That's the beauty of digital - you can try lots and lots of different things, see what works without wasting money of film.

You gonna try shooting it again? That's my stubborn (slightly retarded?) tendency. I go back and try again until I get an image that satisfies at least me. Last night I had the misfortune of shooting a fountain, and being dissatisfied with the results. I'm afraid I've sentenced myself to going back and trespassing a few more times to get it right.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2004
    I guess some explanation of the original shot is in order. The image was taken at my son's Christmas orchestra concert at his middle school. The Cellos, violas and violins were resting on the floor before the concert began with the students having fun talking around them. I liked the rich colors and curves of the wood in the foreshortened perspective.

I crouched down and hand held this shot with my Canon 10D with my 28-80 Canon zoom.

I'll think of other ways I can capture these beautiful instruments at the next concert Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2004
    thumb.gif I look forward to seeing them. You'd fall over laughing if you knew how many variations of each shot I make, to get one mediocre image.
    Sid.