Options

amateur to amateur trying to make money!!!

anderson_paulanderson_paul Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited April 7, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
hello all,

well i havn't been a meember here long I have been shooting now for a couple of years, and collected what I would like to think is a pretty good amount of great images. I now want to try the hard part, making my hobbie into a career and making some money. So to get to my questions I have a bunch of info from photographers market, on consumers pubilcations and book publishers;

I was wondering If any of you have sold images to magazines, if you have any advice/tips?

also I wanted to know How many of you do all your marketing and go everything alone, and How many of you use agents and stock photo agencies and the pro's/con's of this

thanks for your help.
Paul
Some men see things as they are an say "Why?"
I dream things that never were and say
"Why Not?"

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRabiorChrisRabior Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Have you given stock a chance? I'm not referring to microstock. You'd have a good shot at getting into some of the more traditional stock agencies. Alamy, MyLoupe, Photographer's Direct, etc.

hello all,

well i havn't been a meember here long I have been shooting now for a couple of years, and collected what I would like to think is a pretty good amount of great images. I now want to try the hard part, making my hobbie into a career and making some money. So to get to my questions I have a bunch of info from photographers market, on consumers pubilcations and book publishers;

I was wondering If any of you have sold images to magazines, if you have any advice/tips?

also I wanted to know How many of you do all your marketing and go everything alone, and How many of you use agents and stock photo agencies and the pro's/con's of this

thanks for your help.
    Paul
  • Options
    RacetogRacetog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Making enough money for a full time gig is tough. With that said, it’s not really very hard to sell photos to Magazines. The first thing you want to do is keyword every photo with search words folks would search for… Assuming, you’ve already added your site to the search engines. Beware, when these folks email you to use a photo, more than likely they are against a deadline and need it ASAP! Kinda’ like fishing, you need to grab the pole and reel it in or lose the fish.

It’s been my experience that even thou they can buy the photo for commercial use from the site, they always have questions or want to send a check.

Also, contact the editors of whatever type of publications that might want your photos. Ask them to take a look at your galleys and consider you in the future. Something else to ask them is what type of articles they are working on. This gives you insight to what they’ll be looking.

Good luck,
    Mike
    hello all,

thanks for your help.
    Paul