Options

Railway Tressle

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited April 7, 2007 in Landscapes
Biting cold wind last weekend, walking the dogs with the in laws. I've tried b & w and sepia, but I'm not liking them much. What do you think?

141484590-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I like the shot. Very crisp.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Hi Duncanji

I don't mind honest feedback, not at all.

Sorry you don't like the shot.

Gotta disagree about the sky - and maybe it has to do with my processing - but the sky is full of clouds and contrast. I can try drawing a bit more out.

Appreciate you stopping by.

ann
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Nice!!
    I like the photo as well, I tend to like these kinds of subjects. For me, to critique anything it would be the sky. It looks like that type of sky where a graduated ND or polorizing filter would have helped. I have played around with some of my own Photos that have similar skies. I am never satisfied with photoshops shadow and highlight tool as it tends to make the photo look a tad flat overall. There is a process that I have had some success with where you create two layers, one exposed for forground and one for the sky, and use a gradiant mask.....combining the two variations where the sky meets the forground. I have had pretty good success with it. There is a how to on popular photography's website in there "how to" archives...I think the title was "Two Raws make a right". The process is better with RAW files, but I have had pretty good results with jpeg files as well.

I like the subject and composition, but I can see where trying to tame the sky might sacrifice forground contrast.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Nice Gallery
    I checked your gallery out and realized you are in Edmonton. I am in Louisiana, but years ago I did some work in FT. McMurry. The company I worked for had an office in Edmonton, and we would fly in and out of , and drive up from Edmonton to the end of the world up there. I remember being shocked at the number of parks and campgrounds and such as we would drive farther north. Beautiful place up there!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Hi Jeff

Thanks. Yep, we are in Edmonton....I'll bet you would be very surprised with both Edmonton and Ft. Mac these days - huge amount of growth and building boom. Quite amazing. Still lots of people commuting to Ft. Mac from Edmonton.

About the sky - I will try masking it and bringing some more details out of the clouds.

ann
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I checked your gallery out and realized you are in Edmonton. I am in Louisiana, but years ago I did some work in FT. McMurry. The company I worked for had an office in Edmonton, and we would fly in and out of , and drive up from Edmonton to the end of the world up there. I remember being shocked at the number of parks and campgrounds and such as we would drive farther north. Beautiful place up there!