Options

PSCS3 pre-orders now being accepted

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited April 7, 2007 in Finishing School
Didn't see this anywhere else here-- but I'm always the last person to find out about this stuff.

$199 US for an upgrade to CS3. "Pre-orders" now being accepted-- download availability estimated on April 16.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/

I LOVE the beta-- kinks and all-- but I'm sure getting tired of switching between CS3-beta and CS2 for my resizing!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Yeah, saw that listing too. Saves some money-- but it doesn't ship until late-April, presumably that's after April 16 and it's a CD/DVD? headscratch.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    which is better a download or a CD?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    ginger_55 wrote:
    which is better a download or a CD?

ginger
    It's the same software, Ginger.
    Me, I'll just be downloading it :D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    I feel like an idiot asking this, but for the first time ever, I have a laptop in addition to the desktop that I am used to typing on. I want to put the software on both machines, and I know that is alright with adobe.

I feel like maybe downloading to both machines would be a problem. Or if the desktop were to crash................ I guess I am paranoid, but that is why I have a concern.

Also, being totally illiterate technically, I have had problem installing things I have downloaded. I have never been able to put a plug in anywhere except on my desktop at best. I pay extra to have the kind to install, like Neat Ninja, or whatever the name, and it is only on my desktop.

On the other hand, I have never had problems installing a CD.

Today I did download and install successfully, lightroom, trial version, just to see what the fuss was about. It did install, so maybe my luck has changed.

I was going to get the CD, but I am rethinking. Almost. It seems more "mine" if it is tangible. Plus, my CD case is where I got the serial number for the CS2 to install the beta CS3.

This is a big deal for me. I have been excited about CS3 for a long time, I don't want anything to go wrong.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I feel like an idiot asking this, but for the first time ever, I have a laptop in addition to the desktop that I am used to typing on. I want to put the software on both machines, and I know that is alright with adobe.

I feel like maybe downloading to both machines would be a problem. Or if the desktop were to crash................ I guess I am paranoid, but that is why I have a concern.

Also, being totally illiterate technically, I have had problem installing things I have downloaded. I have never been able to put a plug in anywhere except on my desktop at best. I pay extra to have the kind to install, like Neat Ninja, or whatever the name, and it is only on my desktop.

On the other hand, I have never had problems installing a CD.

Today I did download and install successfully, lightroom, trial version, just to see what the fuss was about. It did install, so maybe my luck has changed.

I was going to get the CD, but I am rethinking. Almost. It seems more "mine" if it is tangible. Plus, my CD case is where I got the serial number for the CS2 to install the beta CS3.

This is a big deal for me. I have been excited about CS3 for a long time, I don't want anything to go wrong.

ginger

There are some real advantages to having the CD so if you want those advantages, then by all means, order the CD so you have it and you can keep working the way you have been so far.

On the other hand, you can make do with the download bits, but it requires more work. Whenever I download something that I paid for, I do three things:
    1. Whatever download code or unlock code or serial number that comes when you buy it electronically, I put in a text file on my hard disk.
    2. Then, I burn a CD with the download bits and the text file with the download code in it. Now I have a CD, similar to if I bought a CD and I could reinstall even if I lost my entire hard disk.
    3. Lastly, I have a place that I record passwords and serial numbers. I create a new entry in that log for the program I just bought and make sure the serial number and download code is there.
    I do these steps because I've had entire hard disks suddenly become unusable. If you download things and don't keep them elsewhere, you can sometimes find yourselves out a lot of money and unable to install the software that you already paid for.

If all this sounds too complicated, then it would certainly make sense to buy the real CD so you will always have that as your backup.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    32 bit HDR? Sweet! I wish they would open up as fast as they do in their little movie. :D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited March 28, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    32 bit HDR? Sweet! I wish they would open up as fast as they do in their little movie. :D

CS2 has 32-bit HDR. Question: Has the HDR function improved in CS3?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Wow, my earlier link at the Apple store, no good anymore. Was it a glitch? The price at Apple is now $199.95
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Wow, my earlier link at the Apple store, no good anymore. Was it a glitch? The price at Apple is now $199.95

The better RAW handling was one of the reasons I was interested in CS3. Now that I've bought Lightroom, I just might sit out this upgrade and stick with CS2 for a while longer, especially at two bills for the upgrade.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:

I bet they assumed it would be $159 as it usually is. 11doh.gif

I might go for the Design Premium. I have Studio MX, so I can get the suite for $599 and still have a separate copy/license of PS for a future machine. ne_nau.gif