Options

Zion National Park Too

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited April 8, 2007 in Landscapes
I was in Zion last week and have just started post-processing. Here are the first few.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Click on the images for EXIF data.

137644690-O.jpg

137256883-O.jpg

137264147-O.jpg

Natural Bridge

137648603-O.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Looks like we may have crossed paths.

I like your use of foreground particularly the 2nd shot with the grass and trees. Looks like middle of the day sun though and it is a shame because I think the pictures would be 100% better with better lighting.

Aaron

Dixie wrote:
    I was in Zion last week and have just started post-processing. Here are the first few.

"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    I really like that third one :)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    They are very nice shots, and yet I can see that you struggled with what I and so many others have struggled with--getting across the immense scale of these things. It's really hard to do it justice.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    I was in Zion in October of 05, i soooo want to go back. I really admired mountain climbers, have you seen any? It's an abosolutely gorgeous place, i can move right in and stay for good Laughing.gif.
    Great shots, brings back memories! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Dixie wrote:

Click on the images for EXIF data.
    Natural Bridge

Beautiful shots Dixie clap.gif .... Well Done clap.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Looks like we may have crossed paths.

I like your use of foreground particularly the 2nd shot with the grass and trees. Looks like middle of the day sun though and it is a shame because I think the pictures would be 100% better with better lighting.

Aaron

Thank you for your comments. We may have crossed paths. Too bad that we didn't realize that we were there at the same time.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    I really like that third one :)

Thank you. That was one of my favorites as well.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    They are very nice shots, and yet I can see that you struggled with what I and so many others have struggled with--getting across the immense scale of these things. It's really hard to do it justice.

You're right, David. I hope to get back there to work more with some of the scenes in different lighting situations. Being down in the gorge does make the mountains seem extreme.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    behr655 wrote:
    Wow! Very nice.

Bear

Thanks, Bear.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I was in Zion in October of 05, i soooo want to go back. I really admired mountain climbers, have you seen any? It's an abosolutely gorgeous place, i can move right in and stay for good Laughing.gif.
    Great shots, brings back memories! clap.gif

Thank you. I didn't see any in Zion, but I didn't have as long there as I wanted. I did get some climbers in the granite upheavals in Joshua Tree NP just a few days earlier.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Beautiful shots Dixie clap.gif .... Well Done clap.gif .... Skippy

Thank you, Skippy. Your comments are always appreciated.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks for letting me know.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I also like the 3rd one a lot. I see you were shooting 24 & 30mm on a 5D, in the early afternoon. May I ask what lens(es) you were using?

I am heading out in June. (Any suggestions appreciated). I have a crappy 19-35 that I will be probably replacing with the 17-40. I am also taking my 24-70, maybe my 24 prime.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Nicely done. Looks like a good time of year to visit!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited April 4, 2007
    Dixie,

I'm going to Vegas in May and plan on visiting Zion. I just had knee surgery but am doing much better than I expected, yet I don't want to push it too much. Those locations in your shots, are they accessible by an easy to moderate hike?

Bear
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I also like the 3rd one a lot. I see you were shooting 24 & 30mm on a 5D, in the early afternoon. May I ask what lens(es) you were using?

I am heading out in June. (Any suggestions appreciated). I have a crappy 19-35 that I will be probably replacing with the 17-40. I am also taking my 24-70, maybe my 24 prime.

The overall scenes were shot with a Canon 5d using the EF 24-70 mm. EXIF is giving the correct settings used on the 24-70 for those three shots.

The last photo of the Natural Bridge was shot with a Canon XTi with a EF 100-400 mm (640 mm with 1.6 conversion).
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Nicely done. Looks like a good time of year to visit!

Thanks, Pete. Yes, it was nice. It was in the 80s with a nice breeze. I only had the one day and it takes 2-3 or even more days to really do Zion justice. I was there from just before noon until mid afternoon so I was fairly restricted in what and where I could shoot. To really explore and shoot Zion right you need the time to re-visit the same areas at different times of the day. Totally new shots open up to the photographer based on the time of day. Conversely, many shots are taken away if you are in some particular areas at certain times. I found it very restrictive shooting on the far end of Zion Canyon Scenic Drive between the Grotto and Temple of Sinawava in the early afternoon hours.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    behr655 wrote:
    Dixie,

I'm going to Vegas in May and plan on visiting Zion. I just had knee surgery but am doing much better than I expected, yet I don't want to push it too much. Those locations in your shots, are they accessible by an easy to moderate hike?

Bear

Bear,

All the shots were done close to where I could park my vehicle. For example the shot with the stream with the boulder in the center with the mountains in the background were probably taken no further than 50 feet from where I parked. I did have to walk down a path about 20 feet, but footing was good.

Don't let that knee surgery get you down. I had total knee replacement surgery Jan 06. In Feb, just 4 and a half weeks after surgery I was in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park chasing wildlife (figuratively - not literally) and shooting winter scenes.

56392475-M.jpg

57335410-M.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Dixie wrote:
    Bear,

All the shots were done close to where I could park my vehicle. For example the shot with the stream with the boulder in the center with the mountains in the background were probably taken no further than 50 feet from where I parked. I did have to walk down a path about 20 feet, but footing was good.

Don't let that knee surgery get you down. I had total knee replacement surgery Jan 06. In Feb, just 4 and a half weeks after surgery I was in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park chasing wildlife (figuratively - not literally) and shooting winter scenes.

Thanks Dixie, I'm feeling better about this trip all the time. When I first found out that I needed the surgery I was sure I was going to be car bound while at Zion.

Bear
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2007
    behr655 wrote:
    Thanks Dixie, I'm feeling better about this trip all the time. When I first found out that I needed the surgery I was sure I was going to be car bound while at Zion.

Bear

Bear, it is all in your mind and you just have to set post-op goals and fight to meet them. When I talked with my surgeon pre-op, I told him that I wanted the knee with the most flex (they normally reserve them for the younger more active people under 60). He knows that I am a photographer and I told him that I wanted to be able to do more than I could with my bum knee. I was in constant pain (all gone now) before the replacement and I couldn't stoop when I was working close to the ground and any time I tried I had to have hold to something to steady myself and be able to get back up. I told the doc that I wanted to be able to sit on my heels when needed. He laughed at that, but that is exactly what I can now do and stand back up without any assistance or pulling up on something.

I was so determined post-op that by the second physical therapy session (going twice a week) I had already met the doctor's post-op goals within one week of surgery so he told me to stop going and I was doing more good on my own because of my determination. He did leave the staples in an extra two weeks just in case. :D

I'm not telling you this to brag, but rather to give you incentive. To me if the doc did his job right the rest was up to me and I firmly believe that it was 99% mental from that point on. You do have to work through some of the initial pain, but over time the pain disappears much faster the harder you work through it initially.

It does take 1-2 years to fully re-develop your strength and use and after the first year I am back to about 75% of my load carrying capacity over distances. Without a big load, distance isn't a major problem. I've just had to learn to pack smarter with what I know I am going to need on a photo hike opposed to carrying anything that I think I may need. ...and that's not bad in and of itself.

Since you said you are doing better than you expected, I suspect that you have pretty much the same attitude that I had so just stick with it. ...and have fun on the trip.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie