Options

Resizing / Cropping pictues to upload

dylansdigitalsdylansdigitals Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited April 8, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
:scratch I am trying to upload photos into my galleries. When resizing / cropping my pictures are there any suggested picture sizes that I should try to stay with? What works best?
Dylan's Digitals :click
Photography by: Denise Rowe
www.dylansdigitals.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    What works best?
    Don't resize. Upload the most pixels possible thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Don't resize. Upload the most pixels possible thumb.gif

Andy,

I am sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I am trying to crop the pictures for effect. I take sports shots and want to crop out unneccessary background. I would really like to take out some of the background and resize to ???? This is where I am lost. What should I shoot for in order to get the best prints? How does this work for prints that people may want to purchase. How should I best sixe the prints to satisify their orders?
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Most of my sales have been 4x6's, followed by 5x7's, so I would crop to those proportions, if you have to....

Like Andy said, if you leave the image as is size wise, then your customer can do a custom crop when they check out. I have seen some really strange crops come through on my orders, so you may want to leave as much there as possible.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    1 other thing... I would only allow small and medium jpegs to be visible, with your originals available a savvy user will just steal what they want. :(
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    1 other thing... I would only allow small and medium jpegs to be visible, with your originals available a savvy user will just steal what they want. :(

ne_nau.gif

Here I go again sounding stupid, but what exactly does this mean?
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2007
    Like this...

http://perfectpix.smugmug.com/Sports/291904

I have not made a custom watermark yet, just been to lazy. To be a little techy... Every picture that is displayed on your screen is stored in the cache file on your PC/Mac, if I can see your original files, then I can save it. Once I save your original, I can print what I want. (Of course I have to remove the watermark first....) Some people don't care about that at all though.

Another thing, you may want to limit what you upload. This gallery has more then I usually put up, because it is the only time I made it to a hockey game this year.

Try and only put up your best. Usually the "best" will include:

Face
    Number
    BALL

If not all 3, then you have to have a FACE!

Hope this helps!
    Mike
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix