Shooting cars is hard...

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited April 9, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
so i'm not really a 'car-guy' by any means, but somehow I ended up at a carshow for a short period of time. It was a little while ago, but I hadn't done anything with the shots till recently.

So I'm there, thinking " Ah, lots of cars, I'll take a few great shots. Gotta be easy with all these cars around, right? " Wrong....

Man, that's hard. Tons of people in the way, lights all over the place.... I took lots of photos, but most went in the thrashbin right away. Hats off for those who can take decent shots at carshows :thumb

Here's a few I didn't throw out right away; Comments, critique, thoughts much appreciated:
142012453-L.jpg
I don't like the framing of the above shot... but i haven't found a great crop yet.

141993785-L.jpg

141993756-L.jpg

141993770-L.jpg

142012412-L.jpg

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    I agree, car shows are hard.

I like the creativity of the mirror and the legs images, something different.

I find that car entusiasts try to show you what they like about a car. It's often the grill or the swoop of a body line. Sometimes a portion of the interior. What they're really doing is communicating what they find attractive about cars, which is interesting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • couriermancourierman Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    i love #2 #3 they're great shot
    Click here to see >>>>My Photos :photo

Canon EOS 40D, MP-E 65 2.8, Sigma EM-140 DG
    Canon EOS 400D Firmware 1.1.1,EF-S 18 55,EF 28 105,Sigma 150 EX DG APO macro,Sigma 70 300 APO DG
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Beautiful shots loved them all and beautiful cars
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I agree, car shows are hard.

I like the creativity of the mirror and the legs images, something different.
    Thanks. I happened to see the mirror as I walked by, and the legs were a semi-accidental to be honest :D Shot in color, the background color was very blue, and the shot just didn't work at all I thought, so I turned it into a B&W.
    wxwax wrote:
    I find that car entusiasts try to show you what they like about a car. It's often the grill or the swoop of a body line. Sometimes a portion of the interior. What they're really doing is communicating what they find attractive about cars, which is interesting.
    Yes, I agree, so that's the thing, I'm not a car-fan that much, i was more looking for something to shoot as opposed to the line or grill I was looking for. And besides those lines and grills, there is just not that much to shoot, really. I don't think I'll go to another car-show anytime soon. It was fun to see though, I've never been before.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    ivar wrote:

Yes, I agree, so that's the thing, I'm not a car-fan that much, i was more looking for something to shoot as opposed to the line or grill I was looking for. And besides those lines and grills, there is just not that much to shoot, really. I don't think I'll go to another car-show anytime soon. It was fun to see though, I've never been before.
    nod.gif

Or you could go with Patch29, who sees every vehicle as a potential new home.lol3.gif

135135183-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 8, 2007
    courierman wrote:
    i love #2 #3 they're great shot
    Thanks!

#2 is actually a color-shot. I'll give you bonus points if you know which car it is thumb.gif

#3 is converted to B&W. I cropped it slightly, I'm thinking about slightly less grill and more room on top though.
    edited April 8, 2007
    Beautiful shots loved them all and beautiful cars
    Thanks Awais! They did have some really great cars there. I loved the conceptcars they had there. I'll see if I can find a few shots from them.
    edited April 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif

Or you could go with Patch29, who sees every vehicle as a potential new home.lol3.gif

135135183-Ti.jpg

lol3.gif
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    #2 is actually a color-shot. I'll give you bonus points if you know which car it is thumb.gif
    Audi R8

And I agree: when you're not a car fan (and I'm not, I just knew the answer since I like design) shooting cars is hard. You did well!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Car shows are indeed very hard. The 2nd shot is a good one and the Rolls would be good if it was a bit sharper.

I don't shoot many "New" car shows like this for a few reasons but love to shoot smaller shows and events. They have many of the same issues but the people are usually more willing to move and allow you to get a shot.

I am a car guy but prefer the classics and muscle cars to the plastic stuff of today.

If you cant get the whole car get parts or pieces - examples
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited April 9, 2007
    marlof wrote:
    Audi R8

And I agree: when you're not a car fan (and I'm not, I just knew the answer since I like design) shooting cars is hard. You did well!
    Yep, you are correct. thumb.gif

Thanks! I'm glad I found a few nice shots.
    edited April 9, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Car shows are indeed very hard. The 2nd shot is a good one and the Rolls would be good if it was a bit sharper.

I don't shoot many "New" car shows like this for a few reasons but love to shoot smaller shows and events. They have many of the same issues but the people are usually more willing to move and allow you to get a shot.

I am a car guy but prefer the classics and muscle cars to the plastic stuff of today.

If you cant get the whole car get parts or pieces - examples
    I think the rolls is sharp, but on the logo. You think I should have used a bigger DoF? or focused on the angel? or you want me to use sharpening? I have not used sharpening on that on any of the photos.

Those car parts and pieces look cool thumb.gif it's just not my thing. Thanks for looking!