Options

File format for printing?

CMasterCMaster Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited January 24, 2005 in Finishing School
Hey guys, I'm printing out one of pictures from the new camera tonight and I'm wondering which file format you use to print. I took my RAW image, converted to a TIFF, then did my adjustments in all the appropriate layers, then saved that as a PSD file.

Just would like to see what format you guys go to print in. I just printed a ~6x10 and it looks much better than I had orginally expected.
-- Paul (pmack.smugmug.com)

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    CMaster wrote:
    Hey guys, I'm printing out one of pictures from the new camera tonight and I'm wondering which file format you use to print. I took my RAW image, converted to a TIFF, then did my adjustments in all the appropriate layers, then saved that as a PSD file.

Just would like to see what format you guys go to print in. I just printed a ~6x10 and it looks much better than I had orginally expected.

It depends on where you are printing it. I print jpgs, tifs and psd files on my inkjet at home via Photoshop. If I take it to a lab I normally save it as a jpg, unless it is a really large print (16x20+) then I might use a Tiff.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    CMaster wrote:

If printing from home, use your best file. Or your most convenient file. If printing via an outside service, JPG is the most universally accepted. I've done 20x30 prints using JPG's that turn out great. I've done a test print at 12x18 between a TIF and JPG and could not find any differences.

If using JPG, you do want the lowest compression (i.e. highest quality) setting your converter will produce.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu