Options

How to take a compliment

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited June 15, 2007 in The Big Picture
I recently got a compliment that made me laugh a little.

Recently my wife went out with her girl friends on a girls night out. According to my wife all the women were raving about some pictures of my new born Daughter (born 12/19/2006). My wife said they were saying that the pictures made my daugther look like a baby model. But the best compliment was: "We love your pictures so much that we bought the same camera".

Everyone knows, its not the camera that that makes a great picture (its the lens). :rofl
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifI needed a good laugh!
    You see it all the time. People with more money than sense.ne_nau.gif
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    Start using a Holga-- that way even if someone buys the same model camera that you used, they still won't be able to duplicate your photos! :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited April 9, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Start using a Holga-- that way even if someone buys the same model camera that you used, they still won't be able to duplicate your photos! :D

I'm just waiting for the digital Holga to come out. :D
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    I'm just waiting for the digital Holga to come out. :D
    That's an oxymoron, isn't it? lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    Just wait they are gonna be calling you in a week wondering why their camera wont take the same shots yours does.

".......and remember sam, next time your daddy tells you his computer isn't working, tell him it's broken. Tell him it can't be fixed so he should give it to you to play with, then tell him to go to the store and buy an iMac. It's a computer built just for idio...... I'm sorry, for mommy's and daddy's."
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2007

I've seen that "funky cam" at local stores.

I had a photography instructor who wanted to teach a course where everyone had to used something like one of those funky cams. Bring everyone down to the same level, then see who gets the best images.
    Andrew

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Just get a Hasselblad H3D-39. Then you can quintuple your prices because of how expensive your camera is rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Nice photos and cute baby

Nadia ! what does Nadia mean there ? we also have this name for femail exactsame spellings
    Actually its my cusion's name
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007

Nadia ! what does Nadia mean there ? we also have this name for femail exactsame spellings

Here it's the same thing: Hope. I believe it came to the US from the Arabic by way of Russia.
  • Options
    PhotogPhotog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    I've seen that "funky cam" at local stores.

I had a photography instructor who wanted to teach a course where everyone had to used something like one of those funky cams. Bring everyone down to the same level, then see who gets the best images.

nod.gif Me and a few friends used to do that years ago--we'd find the worst cameras we could scrounge (Kodak 110, old Polaroid, cheap plastic pinhole stuff), put 'em in a pile, we'd grab one, and see who could get the best shots with the worst camera. One of my buddies consistently came up with priceless stuff. No matter how crappy the camera was, he'd come up with something that was gorgeous.

I've got a small pile of 640x480 digital cameras...basically the disposable camera chassis with cheapo digital innards...that I'd love to put to use for a photo contest here. :D
    Sony DSR500WSL, Nikon D100, no apparent skills
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2007

Thank you for the compliment Awais!

As marlinspike said, Nadia means hope. But it is also a family name, my great aunt's name was Nadia.

142825293-M.jpg
    (Great Aunt Nadia, taken August 8, 1930 in Hamburg Germany).

My daughter Nadia is only the second girl to be born in my family in 100 years (my other daughter, Siena was the first)!

I always thought that Nadia was a Russian name, but clearly its origins are much wider than Russia.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited June 14, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    I recently got a compliment that made me laugh a little.

Recently my wife went out with her girl friends on a girls night out. According to my wife all the women were raving about some pictures of my new born Daughter (born 12/19/2006). My wife said they were saying that the pictures made my daugther look like a baby model. But the best compliment was: "We love your pictures so much that we bought the same camera".

Everyone knows, its not the camera that that makes a great picture (its the lens). rolleyes1.gif

I just had to revive this thread. I just heard from the same woman who said "We love your pictures so much that we bought the same camera". Now she wants to know what lens I use, she wants to buy the same lens. Apparently her camera lens isn't taking the same sort of photos. :D
    Andrew

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    That would make for an interesting contest. Find a cheap 10 dollar digital that anyone could buy at wal-mart. And then run a contest to see who could take the best shot with one of those cameras. I would have to be one that many people are going be able to get though.

Sound slike fun!
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    I just had to revive this thread. I just heard from the same woman who said "We love your pictures so much that we bought the same camera". Now she wants to know what lens I use, she wants to buy the same lens. Apparently her camera lens isn't taking the same sort of photos. :D

Tell her it's not the lense. Her kid is just that ugly :dragon
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2007
    Tell her it's not the lense. Her kid is just that ugly :dragon

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Andrew

• Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    greenpea wrote:

Hahah!! She's on to your tricks. It's the lens, remember. rolleyes1.gif
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    greenpea wrote:

:lol4:lol:haha

What do you even say to someone like that? I haven't run across this, fortunately everyone I shoot or who has seen my stuff understands its' the loose nut behind the viewfinder, not the camera that makes the image what it is. Have fun trying to explain that.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 15, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Ok, I think there's an opportunity here. Pick an expensive lens that you always wanted, like the new 17-55 EFS for example. Tell her that she must use that lens and that nothing else will do. So she'll go out and buy that lens, get lousy results and be upset at all the money she's spent for nothing. Tell her that she must have gotten a bad copy and that you'll help her out by buying the lens from her, at a much reduced price of course. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Ok, I think there's an opportunity here. Pick an expensive lens that you always wanted, like the new 17-55 EFS for example. Tell her that she must use that lens and that nothing else will do. So she'll go out and buy that lens, get lousy results and be upset at all the money she's spent for nothing. Tell her that she must have gotten a bad copy and that you'll help her out by buying the lens from her, at a much reduced price of course. deal.gif

I told her the lens to get is the Nikon 600mm F4 II. :D
    Andrew

• Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    I told her the lens to get is the Nikon 600mm F4 II. :D

If only you shot canon. On second thought tell her the problem is she needs a canon and get yourself a backup body. Then I'll buy the canon stuff when the kid is still ugly.
    www.zxstudios.com