Options

Is it my Prices or the Photos

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited April 11, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I have alot of "views" of my photos but only one sale.
Is it my prices or the photos ?
Is there something I should change in the bio to get more attention?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Pamela wrote:

It's definitely not your photos or your prices. Your prices are low, your photos are fantastic.

I would take a look at where the traffic is coming from. Do you have a traffic analyzer like statcounter? There are a lot of folks on the net who like to look at pictures. I find a very low percentage of hits are actually coming from shoppers.

Photographers, for example, are always looking for new images, new inspirations, new techniques, etc. But they are not looking for photos to purchase. Other folks can visit and enjoy and appreciate your work on your web site and getting their fill there. Maybe they are not looking to decorate their walls. Or maybe their walls are already full. There are a lot of reasons people will come to your site love your stuff, are fine with your prices and still do not leave with a print.

If your goal is to sell your photos, you have to make an effort in the direction of your business. Find a market for your images and target them.

It'll happen once you and your demographic find each other.

Prices are a funny thing. Sometimes raising your prices leads to more sales in the fine art world.

Cheers!
    Trish
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Pamela wrote:

Your prices are pretty low. Your photos are technical good but they are like snapshots or stock images. I think some different crops would make them stand out more. even though you would sacrifice the larger print sizes. So that mightbe part of it but most likely its just traffic since its really a numbers game. If you sell 1 photo in 1000 hits, you will probably sell 10 in 10000 hits. Maybe google adwords or other things to increase your traffic.

A note: some of your animal shots look like they are from zoo's. Most zoo's prohibit commercial photography of zoo animals. You are usually agreeing to not shoot the animals for commercial venture like sales on the back of the ticket. So you might want to look up the zoo rules where you took those to find out for sure.

The tomato plant shot is really nice. I am a tomato a holic often eating 3-5 pounds a week :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Large header makes browsing painful
    Pamela wrote:

You have some nice photos. Here's one comment about your site. Because you have a large and tall graphic in your header at the top of every page, your site is quite a pain to browse unless you have a huge window (larger than will fit on my computer). Everytime I select a different image to view, the screen scrolls back to the top, showing me your header and making me scroll back to see the image. That's quite a pain. I have no idea if that's affecting sales, but I thought you might want to know and think about changing it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    My impressions
    Your write:

"...downloading and or Copying of any photo's in any of these Galleries is not Permitted."
    You probably want to hit them with that a little later. It is repeated more than once too. Maybe a bit too paranoid sounding if you know what I mean. And technically, in order to view any photo on the web, one has to download and copy it. So you are making "criminals" of everyone who visits your site by your wording here. Would you want to order something from someone who did that to you?

And your bio is a huge monolithic block of text that runs on from semi-bio, to warnings, to ordering instructions. I had to force myself to read it, and only did so in order to respond to your post.

"...photographing Weddings,Portraits, Family & Children Portraits"
    Your gallery has nothing much at all to do with what you state is your business. The galleries look like random photos with no visual order.

What if you tried to focus what you are offering? Are you going to focus on stock photography or event/portrait work? Right now your site gives conflicting info and comes across confusing. That confusion may transfer to the visitor, and they may opt to look and leave.

As far as pricing, cheap does not always sell the most. Try raising your prices. Perhaps the visitors place more value on the prints than you are and figure there might be something wrong with them for you to be selling them so low.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Pamela wrote:
    The hardest part I've had to learn is not the photography, its the business end. Learning to take photos was a piece of cake compared to learning how to get people aware of you, to trust you, and to send their money your direction. I still don't have a good grasp at that. Good pictures do not automatically turn into dollars.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    Thankyou for your ideas and suggestions

Trish:
    I started out at higher prices and have been lowering them to see if that helps.

Bob:
    I removed the sale of the zoo photos, until I get a ok , from the zoo.

jfriend:
    I dont know how to make a change to that problem, you can pick a different type of view , maybe that will help.

Shay:
    Im making some changes in my bio , I think "short and sweet", will be a better approach.

Mercphoto:
    Hopefully soon, both of us will have a grasp on it.

W.W.Webster:
    Why did you send a Private Message?
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Shorter header image on gallery pages
    Pamela wrote:
    jfriend:
    I dont know how to make a change to that problem, you can pick a different type of view , maybe that will help.

Some options for youi:
    • Pick a shorter graphic that doesn't steal so much vertical screen space
    • Use your current image on your home page, but use a much shorter image on gallery pages. You can use CSS to show a different image in galleries vs. homepage.
    In my opinion, relying on the viewer to find a viewing style that works on their screen is not going to work. Most viewers won't be smugmug-sophisticated and will just view your gallery the way it first comes up. If it's a painful viewing experience, they'll just move on.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    My view: If you are trying to sell photos, your home page should stress that: say simply what you do, and that this site is for purchase of some of your work. Then display the work. Having all your personal shared photos on the main page suggests that this is your family website, not a business.

Maybe you need a separate SM acct for business or family?
  • Options
    Action ShooterAction Shooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    I'm in the same boat
    Hi Pamela,

I read your thread on the forum… first I want to tell you that your photos are wonderful.
    As for pricing I believe we are in the same boat. I go to many sporting events and take over 100+ photos ( actually take over 400 and edit down to 100+).
    I get a great response during the game (“great idea, can’t wait to see, that’s my son take lots of pix.of him etc…) I then get many many hits on my site, but made less then $100.00.
    I’m not sure what I am doing wrong…. Most friends insist I must be persistent… I market myself (t-shirts, post cards, lawn signs) and still less then minimum response.

I took photos of close friends playing softball. They called me the next day and told me they never saw photos this amazing…I said thank you…and figured they’re going to buy.

After 3 days and no purchase I called and asked….”Did you enjoy my photos?” they said Yes! “Did you enjoy the photos of you?” they said Yes greatest pix. I ever saw.

Then I asked them…. “If you enjoyed them so much why didn’t you buy any?” RESPONSE……. “I don’t know”
    My latest idea is to announce that photos will only be posted for 14 days….. adding a sense of urgency ( not sure if this is good or bad).ne_nau.gif

Keep me posted and good luck,

Andy
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    foot in mouth
    Pamela,

I know I'll get beat up for saying this, however, IMO "people" sells. There are so many ways to find images of just about anything now days. You have beautiful photos but I've taken the track down weddings and portraits because people buy more of those kinds of photos then say a nice beautiful portrait of a rusty tractor. Now I love that kind of photography myself but it just doesn't sell like people photos.

People come to me for photos. For a particular reason with an intent to purchase photos.

let me put on my flak jacket now.

Again I must say you have beautiful work!!!

Scott
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    Andy:

I hope that idea works out for you. Everyone lives busy lifes now, that might be what gets their attention. Let me know how it works out for you. Welcome to dgrin!

Scott:

Photos of people are easier to sell, and they always want them back right away.

Thankyou to both of you for the kind compliement.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    coach-alcoach-al Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    interesting thread
    Pamela,

Yup, your photos are beautiful all right.

"Envolved"? I think you mean involved. Your writeup is, ummmm, sloppy. Consider rewriting it. Spaces, capitalization, all needs to be right or your image suffers.

I also agree that "people" sell. I specialize in sports. It's 99% of my business. People know that's what I do and it's taken a while to build up my reputation. And I'm still building. Always, always building that reputation. Usually one client at a time. Every sale I make I try to make it a bigger sale. How about a collage of all those beautiful photos Mr. Client?

Only once did I make any money shooting non-athletics. I had a commission to shoot a bunch of orchids for a client's home. Made some good money and had a ball. But I don't ever expect to make any other money off those orchids, although I've tried.

Find a niche in your locale, make contacts with people that count, market yourself. The business end is the important end if you are to succeed. Your photography is superb, that's not the problem.

Your prices are strange. Maybe too low on 4x6 but a big jump to 5x7 which continues to the bigger sizes. But I don't think prices are a problem. You are trying to sell to the world. Try selling to your community, one client at a time. And when you do get a paying client treat them like royalty. The word of mouth advertising is the most important and effective.

Best of luck, Al
  • Options
    kammermankammerman Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    A few observations
    Hi Pamela,

I read your thread on the forum… first I want to tell you that your photos are wonderful.
    As for pricing I believe we are in the same boat. I go to many sporting events and take over 100+ photos ( actually take over 400 and edit down to 100+).
    I get a great response during the game (“great idea, can’t wait to see, that’s my son take lots of pix.of him etc…) I then get many many hits on my site, but made less then $100.00.
    I’m not sure what I am doing wrong…. Most friends insist I must be persistent… I market myself (t-shirts, post cards, lawn signs) and still less then minimum response.

I took photos of close friends playing softball. They called me the next day and told me they never saw photos this amazing…I said thank you…and figured they’re going to buy.

After 3 days and no purchase I called and asked….”Did you enjoy my photos?” they said Yes! “Did you enjoy the photos of you?” they said Yes greatest pix. I ever saw.

Then I asked them…. “If you enjoyed them so much why didn’t you buy any?” RESPONSE……. “I don’t know”
    My latest idea is to announce that photos will only be posted for 14 days….. adding a sense of urgency ( not sure if this is good or bad).ne_nau.gif

Keep me posted and good luck,

Andy

Andy,

I gave a quick look at your website.

I see you are offering to photograph a game for free then hoping that someone buys the photos. You are giving away your services!

I recommended charging a fee upfront to cover your time. If you wanted, the fee could include a certain number of prints. You could also presell pictures at a discount. Or indicate that prices will increase by, for example, 20% after 2 weeks.

Regarding your photos, I suggest you use a shorter depth of field, so the backgrounds go out of focus and the eye is drawn to the action. You may also want to take the time to crop the photos and close in on the acton.

I hope these comments help!

Lisa
    Lisa

bigtrainphotos.com (Bethesda Big Train Baseball Photos)
    Kammerman Portraits
    (Portraits, Events, Children with Special Needs, Daycare)

Photography Referral System
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Pamela,

I agree with Big-Al's comments. Photography is 20%, marketing is 80%. And it's important to find a niche. You may want to visit www.danheller.com for some great information that may help.

When I started out four years ago, my first project was shooting candids for a day-care fundraiser at my child's school. What was then $5 for a 4x6 (I cringe when I write that), is now $135 and $195 for an 8x10. I only write that to say price matters! Because I respect my abilities and the time needed for a family portrait session, I charge what I need to cover not only my time but also to cover overhead and the costs that go along with running a business.

Yikes, I just noticed the time! I get so into this I lose track.

If you want more thoughts, just let me know.
    Lisa

Kammerman Portraits

• Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    Al , Lisa

I Photographed Weddings for 8yrs, using Medium format cameras.
    I never had to work hard to get bookings, my advertisement was ,"word of mouth".
    Im proud to say in the 8yrs every person I worked for was very happy.
    I stopped photographing weddings to raise my daughter and twin boys.

Now , there has been so many changes, new challenges, and such a different world where photography is concerned. I feel like I am struggling in making a living in photography. (Even though I love taking photographs)

I might have found what I ve been looking for, I have started making note cards
    with my photos. And have been selling them to local gift shops.

In the end , Im having a great time traveling around with my kids, taking photos.

Thank you for everyones suggestions, help, and especially for the kind words.

Sincerely
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006

In the end , Im having a great time traveling around with my kids, taking photos.

Hi Pamela,

I took a look at your notecards in your gallery. Your photography is "made" for note cards, it is so beautiful and artistic.

I have another thread going where I'm trying to get ideas for new value-added products to sell and your note card idea is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Could you expand on the business side of selling note cards? Like, the process of actually making them? Do you use a printing company? Cost to make one? Selling them? Local customers? Sell off the internet? Profit margins? Stuff like that.

My market, as I said, is athletics. Note cards might work for me although it seems that nature might be better. I'm always trying to keep my mind open about new products.

I went into collages pretty much on a lark and it transformed my business. Good lesson there...

Later, Al
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2006
    I understand how you feel completely, as I've sold less than $100 worth of images so far. I've found that advertising locally has helped. If people aren't aware of your gallery, you won't sell images. Also, it seems that a lot of people in my area (i.e. rural Midwest) are more likely buy photos if I have the actual prints available. Not many people around here shop online. I'm going to try setting up a booth at several of the summer festivals and flea markets to see if that makes a difference.
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006
    Liza wrote:
    I understand how you feel completely, as I've sold less than $100 worth of images so far. I've found that advertising locally has helped. If people aren't aware of your gallery, you won't sell images. Also, it seems that a lot of people in my area (i.e. rural Midwest) are more likely buy photos if I have the actual prints available. Not many people around here shop online. I'm going to try setting up a booth at several of the summer festivals and flea markets to see if that makes a difference.

Hi Liza,

I took a look at your galleries, at least the athletic ones as that's what I do too. Photos look good.

One thing I noticed is that you take a lot less photos than I do. For a basketball game I'm usually at around 200-250. Baseball around 200. Track and Field - 600-1000. Track and Field is where I started and I'm a track coach so maybe that makes a difference but why do you have so few photos?

Are you just taking photos of kids that preordered or are you trying to give good coverage to broaden your potential market and sales? LAtely I've been trying to strike a balance by making each shot count but still try to cover all the kids. Still adds up to lots of photos - especially in track and field.

Later, Al
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2006
    coach-al wrote:
    Hi Liza,

I took a look at your galleries, at least the athletic ones as that's what I do too. Photos look good.

One thing I noticed is that you take a lot less photos than I do. For a basketball game I'm usually at around 200-250. Baseball around 200. Track and Field - 600-1000. Track and Field is where I started and I'm a track coach so maybe that makes a difference but why do you have so few photos?

Are you just taking photos of kids that preordered or are you trying to give good coverage to broaden your potential market and sales? LAtely I've been trying to strike a balance by making each shot count but still try to cover all the kids. Still adds up to lots of photos - especially in track and field.

Later, Al

I take a lot more photos than I post. Only the better ones are uploaded as I have only dial-up at home and have to use the internet at work to get them in the galleries. As a special ed teacher in a self-contained setting, I don't have much extra time to spend uploading when I'm riding herd on a classroom full of kids with challenging behavior. I also have loads of images waiting to be uploaded. Our T1 line is out of commission due to a lightning strike. :cry
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006
    coach-al wrote:

Hi Pamela,

I took a look at your notecards in your gallery. Your photography is "made" for note cards, it is so beautiful and artistic.

I have another thread going where I'm trying to get ideas for new value-added products to sell and your note card idea is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Could you expand on the business side of selling note cards? Like, the process of actually making them? Do you use a printing company? Cost to make one? Selling them? Local customers? Sell off the internet? Profit margins? Stuff like that.

My market, as I said, is athletics. Note cards might work for me although it seems that nature might be better. I'm always trying to keep my mind open about new products.

I went into collages pretty much on a lark and it transformed my business. Good lesson there...

Later, Al

Al
    Right now Im making the note cards myself, when I start getting big orders I will probably have them printed.
    I buy my paper and ink at Sams club, they have good prices there.
    I still working on getting the cards in various travel gift shops, I only have a few shops selling them, right now my sales are not local.

Liza

I havent tried Art Fairs or Festivals, my friend has , and has some good luck at them.

I hope to try out a Art Fair this summer.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    I've run a web based business since 1995, but I can simpathise with your problems. It takes a long time to establish a market and generate reliable income. The 5 year rule for break even applies to a lot of other things. At 5 years, everything got easier, so the best general business advise I can provide is to stick it out. Try a lot of new things until you find your market and your niche. The cards may be it.

A couple of basic business observations. Exposed-Images doesn't exactly inspire me. It actually indicates something completely different than what you are selling. Exposed what? I'd look for a new name that's short and easy to remember.

If you're serious about your web presence, get a domain name (preferably ending with a .com). Domain names are cheap (less than $20/yr), so that shouldn't be a problem. Check out mydomain.com. Their service isn't the best, but I've used them for a couple of temporary domains. Transfering to another service in the future is easy, so don't let your lack of experience hold you back from registering a domain. Try to find a domain name that is as short and easy to remember as possible. The longer it is, the better the chance of someone mispelling it.

I'm not someone who buys photos or even prints them for hanging on a wall, so I can't comment on the desire to buy. I can comment on a total lack of pricing displayed on the web site though. It shouldn't be difficult to find your pricing, or require an additional click. Slow internet connections make people want to leave if they have to wait to find the answers they are looking for. People are also hesitant to click on a buy button in order to find your pricing. I tried clicking on buy this photo and could have ordered an 8X10 for $2.00. Either there's something wrong there or you're not charging enough. Any work you do is always worth more than you think. For a number of years, our sales increased every time the prices were raised. People will pay what you say your work is worth if you believe it. My guess is that an 8X10 should go for at least $50, if not a lot more. As I said, I don't take photos for a living, it's just fun. People who tell you that you're charging too much, will save their pennies in order to get it if they really want it. Otherwise, they aren't your customer.

One other problem was that I had to dissable my popup blocker in order to get to the buy this photo page. That's probably a problem with smugmug, but it's a definite deterant to actually purchasing. Many people turn on a popup blocker and forget it's on. If they can't reach the shopping cart as a result, they are likely to abandon the attempt to buy.

The May/June issue of American Photo has a great article on what they consider the best photo web sites. It's definitely worth a read. Perusing some of those sites, may provide some additional ideas.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2006
    For Liza
    Liza wrote:
    I take a lot more photos than I post. Only the better ones are uploaded as I have only dial-up at home and have to use the internet at work to get them in the galleries. As a special ed teacher in a self-contained setting, I don't have much extra time to spend uploading when I'm riding herd on a classroom full of kids with challenging behavior. I also have loads of images waiting to be uploaded. Our T1 line is out of commission due to a lightning strike. :cry

Hi Liza,wave.gif

I see you are both a special ed teacher and a people photographer.

I'm wondering if you are aware of www.SpecialKidsPhotography.com ?

There is a need for photographers who work with kids with special needs. I find this work totally rewarding. There is also a need for stock photos of special needs kids.

In fact, since joining SmugMug I've been wondering if we could have a forum devoted to special needs photography.

Let me know if you are interested in this type of photography and if you want information on what I do.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Lisa

Kammerman Portraits

• Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    donek wrote:
    I've run a web based business since 1995, but I can simpathise with your problems. It takes a long time to establish a market and generate reliable income. The 5 year rule for break even applies to a lot of other things. At 5 years, everything got easier, so the best general business advise I can provide is to stick it out. Try a lot of new things until you find your market and your niche. The cards may be it.

A couple of basic business observations. Exposed-Images doesn't exactly inspire me. It actually indicates something completely different than what you are selling. Exposed what? I'd look for a new name that's short and easy to remember.

If you're serious about your web presence, get a domain name (preferably ending with a .com). Domain names are cheap (less than $20/yr), so that shouldn't be a problem. Check out mydomain.com. Their service isn't the best, but I've used them for a couple of temporary domains. Transfering to another service in the future is easy, so don't let your lack of experience hold you back from registering a domain. Try to find a domain name that is as short and easy to remember as possible. The longer it is, the better the chance of someone mispelling it.

I'm not someone who buys photos or even prints them for hanging on a wall, so I can't comment on the desire to buy. I can comment on a total lack of pricing displayed on the web site though. It shouldn't be difficult to find your pricing, or require an additional click. Slow internet connections make people want to leave if they have to wait to find the answers they are looking for. People are also hesitant to click on a buy button in order to find your pricing. I tried clicking on buy this photo and could have ordered an 8X10 for $2.00. Either there's something wrong there or you're not charging enough. Any work you do is always worth more than you think. For a number of years, our sales increased every time the prices were raised. People will pay what you say your work is worth if you believe it. My guess is that an 8X10 should go for at least $50, if not a lot more. As I said, I don't take photos for a living, it's just fun. People who tell you that you're charging too much, will save their pennies in order to get it if they really want it. Otherwise, they aren't your customer.

One other problem was that I had to dissable my popup blocker in order to get to the buy this photo page. That's probably a problem with smugmug, but it's a definite deterant to actually purchasing. Many people turn on a popup blocker and forget it's on. If they can't reach the shopping cart as a result, they are likely to abandon the attempt to buy.

The May/June issue of American Photo has a great article on what they consider the best photo web sites. It's definitely worth a read. Perusing some of those sites, may provide some additional ideas.

Sean
    Are you saying that one of my photos were $2.00 for 8X10 ?
    If so do you remember which photo it was?

I cant change my name , I ve been using it for many years, thats how people know me that I take portraits for.
    I will probably get a domain name in the future.

Thankyou
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    good luck
    Pamela, I am not an expert but here is my advice. Move your popular photos up above your gallerys to grab people's attention. Have your friends and family get in there and comment and vote to reflect your best work. I have been doing photography for about 20 years as a hobby, with SmugMug for 1 year. I have sold 31 images as art to people who stumbled upon my site. It won't make me rich but it is exciting to see those random sales! On the other hand today I sold a photo to a publisher for the cover of a book for $350.. Yeah! They found my site through a google search... spend your time keywording, captioning and detailing your gallery descriptions. Then people who have never heard of you or smugmug can find you! And my personal opinion... make your gallery's "clean". I am not a fan of all the info on the home page, I think it is destracting from the important stuff, ie the photos.

By the way I think your photos are lovely... they will start to sell in time : )
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Most of the posts up to this point have had great advice.

I remember looking at your site the other day and when I went to view it again, I remembered what I found a problem with.

The very first photo in the slide show on your front page (the wedding photo with the guy kissing the bride's hand) is out of focus. After seeing that photo, why would anyone proceed further?

If you want to attract the wedding crowd, I think a photo like this one would be great to catch people's attention. It's in sharp focus and captures the kind of happiness and fun that make a wonderful photo.

I have to agree with the name as well. I hate to say it, but "exposed-images" sounds almost like a name that indicates p0rnographic shots - you know - "exposed"! It might be okay if you are looking to only attract clients who already know who you are. But, if you are trying to make a good impression with new clients, then the name could be a problem.
    For the last 15+yrs I have been taking Wedding, Family, Children, a few Dog, Cat & Motorcycle Portraits. I also worked for a local Newspaper.
    I have a passion for photography, and enjoy traveling with my family while taking most of the photos you will view. In the "links" area you will find places where you can purchase my merchandise, & photos in these Galleries can be purchased through smugmug and come with an excellent satisfaction Guaranteed.
    You should really use proper capitalization in a descriptive paragraph such as this one from your bio page.

You have nice photos, but the gallery structure makes your business goals look unclear. I agree with the suggestion of setting up another site for your hobby photos. Another idea would be to change your gallery organization so that you have a few high level galleries which feature the kind of work that you are hoping to have people purchase. Then create a miscellaneous or "art" or some other gallery which would then contain sub-galleries with the different subject area photos.
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • Options
    SBPSBP Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Great YOU have copyright upfront
    YOU have some pretty pictures but a lot just like them are plentiful in too many places. If you want to sell then you need to get more original in your shooting. It's great you have up a copyright notice or else they would be grabbed around the world. I will have this up on my new site I'm working on now.
    I see you are getting lots of responses.
    All my best!