Options

First Communion Help

Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited April 12, 2007 in People
Hi all....
I have been asked by a friend to do portraits of her daughter and niece who will be receiving thier First Communion in May.
I will be doing a pre-shoot this weekend and I have been searching and searching for posing ideas and general info on these types of potraits and now I am asking if anyone here as any examples.
These will all be done outside and possibly by a lake.

Any help or advice or examples would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thank you in advance,
Heather

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    [imgl]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/142758151-L.jpg[/imgl]Treat is serious as a heart attack, because the child's Mom will be thumb.gif

Go for a variety, but be sure to really work on the bond between the child and the parents. There are lots of ways to accomplish this, here's one.

* they are kids, get on their level (go low)
    * definitely give them some "standard" shots but
    * go out of the ordinary, too :D Try different poses! Shoot from high, down low, use a fisheye, get the girl to twirl, have Dad do something silly, etc..

I've done lots of these, they are good fun and good money. Good luck!
  • Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Thanks Andy.....the parents do not want to be in the pictures! I tried talking her into it today and she flat out said "no" and her husband is also a definate "nada"

I will treat this just as special as the occasion, her girls are like my girls!! We are very close and I want to make these VERY memorable!!!

Thanks again Andy.....you ARE the best!!!

Heather
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    I did some for my cousin last year, I didn't have a clue what I was doing then (not that i do now Laughing.gif), but here they are...

143018311-S-1.jpg

143019272-S.jpg

100313073-S.jpg

Good luck!!! looking fwd to seeing what you come up with.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Lynne....
    That second one is fabulous....oh, that light, that pose, that focus.....whoooooooooohoooooooooo!iloveyou.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    That second one is fabulous....oh, that light, that pose, that focus.....whoooooooooohoooooooooo!iloveyou.gif

omg swartzy....these were about 3 weeks into my first slr and a few desk lamps. WTF was I thinking using those curtains as a bg....eek7.gifroflick! had to start somewhere.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Lynne, those pictures look great! Nice job =).
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    My one word of advice is to watch the blown highlights with the white dress in the bright florida sun. Keep checking your "blinkies" and adjust your EV accordingly.

If you can find a shady area under a tree by the lake, you will be much better off. You may want to try a reflector or some off camera fill flash if you are in the shade.

Hope this helps!ne_nau.gif