Options

Cname

! Saltwater Photography! Saltwater Photography Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited April 15, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi Andy,

I am having some trouble setting up a CNAME record, as I have recently changed my webhost (it was working successfully before that). My new web host is www.smartyhost.com.au

They say they have set up a CNAME of images.saltwaterphotography.com pointing to the server www.smugmug.com and I have made the appropriate adjustment in my smugmug control panel however it doesn't seem to be working.

Can you help..??

Luke
Luke Kneale
www.luke-k.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Hi Luke,

Better talk to your domain host. When I ping images.saltwaterphotography.com it goes nowhere, it should be resolving to our IP and it does not.
  • Options
    ! Saltwater Photography! Saltwater Photography Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Luke,

Better talk to your domain host. When I ping images.saltwaterphotography.com it goes nowhere, it should be resolving to our IP and it does not.

Ok thanks Andy, I will get onto them.

One thing I'll mention is that I had a similar problem with my last host, and I eventually set up a CNAME of images.saltwaterphotography.com which pointed to www.saltwaterphotography.smugmug.com which finally worked, however it never worked whilst pointing to www.smugmug.com - can you explain why that was the case..??

Cheers
    Luke
    Luke Kneale
    www.luke-k.com
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    Ok thanks Andy, I will get onto them.

One thing I'll mention is that I had a similar problem with my last host, and I eventually set up a CNAME of images.saltwaterphotography.com which pointed to www.saltwaterphotography.smugmug.com which finally worked, however it never worked whilst pointing to www.smugmug.com - can you explain why that was the case..??

Cheers
    Luke
    I can't explain that - but I can say that your domain is not resolving to our IP at the present time, so the CNAME is not set up right....
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I can't explain that - but I can say that your domain is not resolving to our IP at the present time, so the CNAME is not set up right....

Ok Andy, so you've never come across this before..?? The reason I ask is because I need to be sure that I am asking them to point towards www.smugmug.com and not www.saltwaterphotography.smugmug.com

Cheers
    Luke
    Luke Kneale
    www.luke-k.com
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    Ok Andy, so you've never come across this before..?? The reason I ask is because I need to be sure that I am asking them to point towards www.smugmug.com and not www.saltwaterphotography.smugmug.com

Cheers
    Luke
    www.smugmug.com thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Hi Andy,

They claim to have setup the CNAME as set out in your help section.. why is it still not working..??

Luke
    Luke Kneale
    www.luke-k.com
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Hi Andy,

They claim to have setup the CNAME as set out in your help section.. why is it still not working..??

Luke
    Hi Luke, they have not set it up right.

This is the IP address it is hitting, which is NOT www.smugmug.com

64 bytes from 218.185.20.40: icmp_seq=0 ttl=237 time=254.716 ms
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Luke, they have not set it up right.

This is the IP address it is hitting, which is NOT www.smugmug.com

64 bytes from 218.185.20.40: icmp_seq=0 ttl=237 time=254.716 ms

Ok thanks Andy, I will persist with them and get back to you.

Luke
    Luke Kneale
    www.luke-k.com
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    Ok thanks Andy, I will persist with them and get back to you.

Luke

Hi Andy,

Still frustrated with my CNAME setup - smartyhosy have replied with the following:

"Hello,

This is what we have setup fpr your records. Let us know what changes you want to be made.

A localhost 127.0.0.1
    NS @ ns1.smartysite.com.
    NS @ ns2.smartysite.com.
    A @ 218.185.20.40
    A mail 218.185.20.40
    A ftp 218.185.20.40
    A webmail 218.185.20.40
    A statistics 218.185.20.40
    MX @ mail.saltwaterphotography.com.

CNAME images saltwaterphotography.com.

As mentioned when we first discussed the changes on the phone. We normally don't edit CNAME on the windows server etc.. There may be an issue with that.

Anyways let us know what changes you would like.

Thanks

Smartyhost Support Team"

Do you have any idea what the problem is here..??

Thanks in advance Andy.

Luke

Luke Kneale
    www.luke-k.com
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    tell them you only want ONE Cname

images.saltwaterphotography.com to www.smugmug.com

that's it...