SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    ne_nau.gif I don't get it.

ne_nau.gif I don't get it either... but at least I am not the only one rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Well.......
    She is wearing a helmet.....maybe hoping to ride the real thing rolleyes1.gif

88650756-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    valkyries are the people in mythology who pick up fallen soldiers and take them to the after life; however, they are also the "weavers" or war.....if I remember that right...

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 11, 2007
    All ya had to do was click the link I posted. :D

"In modern art, the valkyries are sometimes depicted as beautiful shieldmaidens on winged horses, armed with helmets and spears. However, valkyrie horse was a kenning for wolf (see Rök Stone), so contrary to the stereotype, they did not ride winged horses. Their mounts were rather the packs of wolves that frequented the corpses of dead warriors. They were gruesome and war-like.

Whereas the wolf was the valkyrie's mount, the valkyrie herself appears to be akin to the raven, flying over the battlefield and "choosing" corpses[1]. Thus, the packs of wolves and ravens that scavenged the aftermath of battles may have been seen as serving a higher purpose.

According to Thomas Bulfinch's highly influential work Bulfinch's Mythology (1855), the armour of the valkyries "sheds a strange flickering light, which flashes up over the northern skies, making what men call the 'Aurora Borealis', or 'Northern Lights'.[2]"
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Yeah, I read that the first time. Is she sitting on a wolf?
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Yeah, I read that the first time. Is she sitting on a wolf?

Are you really that obtuse?
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Um... wierd... and please get rid of that awful watermark... it looks so badd... or at least adjust the transparancy... I highly doubt any of the photographers on here are going to steal your pictures of the 'valkyrie'... Unless this happens frequently on dgrin...
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    No, he's being sarcastic... she doesn't look like a valkyrie at all, except for the fact that she's wearing a helmet... but that shopping cart doesn't do much for her either :P.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    Dear Mike,

I never noticed the watermark before today. Thank you so very much for pointing it out. Your vision is like that of an eagle without which I was lost like a dog in a paper bag in Tibet. Image theft occurs every tuesday between 4 am and 4 am here on dgrin. This is a free service so no need to fret over sneaky add on fees. Regarding the Valkyrie, she actually is one. I talked to her at great length and she recalled story after story of wolf riding and corpse selection. She even went as far as to offer a few corpse selection tips (fyi: the fresher the better according to her).

Kisses,

truth
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Dear Mike,

I never noticed the watermark before today. Thank you so very much for pointing it out. Your vision is like that of an eagle without which I was lost like a dog in a paper bag in Tibet. Image theft occurs every tuesday between 4 am and 4 am here on dgrin. This is a free service so no need to fret over sneaky add on fees. Regarding the Valkyrie, she actually is one. I talked to her at great length and she recalled story after story of wolf riding and corpse selection. She even went as far as to offer a few corpse selection tips (fyi: the fresher the better according to her).

Kisses,

truth
    Why are you so downright anti-social? Take the comment, from the poster, like a man. Don't give back snarky, cynical crap in return.

Do you know what a short leash is? Do you want to stay as a member of Dgrin? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Dear Mike,

Kisses,

truth
    Yeah man, no need for the harsh anti-social sarcasm... I was just critiquing your work so you can get better. If you dont like critique or hearing other people's comments, then you shouldn't be posting online in the first place. I dont act retarded towards you :P. So you should treat me with the same respect you want and desire (if you want any, that is :P).
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Hey Mike,

We hold all our members to the same standard, if you catch my drift. :cool
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey Mike,

We hold all our members to the same standard, if you catch my drift. :cool
    I catch it Sid, I just dont like artists who pretend to like critique, then act holier-than-thou when they get some.
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Why are you so downright anti-social? Take the comment, from the poster, like a man. Don't give back snarky, cynical crap in return.

Do you know what a short leash is? Do you want to stay as a member of Dgrin? rolleyes1.gif
    Dunnno, maybe it was the poster's request to "'please get rid of that awful watermark". Would that be any different than me asking him to please get rid of his tiny brain? I don't think so. If people can't see past a literal translation of a title and need a road map to comprehension perhaps they should refrain from making snarky comments such as "Yeah, I read that the first time. Is she sitting on a wolf?" Next time I'll be sure to go with "homeless woman in a helmet with luggage cart". Seems that's the speed people need the spoon to run at. Dunno about you but I find it odd that people see a need to address the title and the watermark but not the images. When these same images were discussed in the LPS forum I was more than receptive to the comments.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Dunnno, maybe it was the poster's request to "'please get rid of that awful watermark". Would that be any different than me asking him to please get rid of his tiny brain?

truth:

It would be nice if you showed just a tiny bit more consideration of others in your posts here. This is a great resource with lots of great potential for those of us who want to learn and help others learn to be better photographers.

Earlier this week, you called me "condescending and rather ignorant" in this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58353&page=2
    truth wrote:
    I think you come off as a bit condescending and rather ignorant of Ted's body of work. I'd suggest you learn a bit about who you are talking to before you pretend to be the end all be all of street photography.

Now I see you're acting mean towards someone else too. Why? I know it's the internet and all, but there are real people with real feelings behind every single post here.

This is simply my own personal plea-- but please-- try to be more civil. Photography is subjective and you can disagree with others, but by insulting them, you're certainly not going to convince them to see your side of matters.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Dunnno, maybe it was the poster's request to "'please get rid of that awful watermark". Would that be any different than me asking him to please get rid of his tiny brain?

Thats it; the gloves are off.

If my brain was tinier than yours, I would ;).

Post Edited.
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    truth wrote:
    It is called sarcasm Truth. The only resemblance to a valkyrie is the helmet, other than that I see a homeless woman sitting as the world passes in front of her. By useing "The Last Valkyrie" as your title you are telling the viewer how you are interpreting the scene. I simply disagreed with you. It is nothing personal. BTW when I was on your site your "Featured" and "Contact" links do not work, in case you were unaware of that.
    truth wrote:
    Dunno about you but I find it odd that people see a need to address the title and the watermark but not the images.
    Nice shot. Is that better? If you want critique go the Whipping Post or ask for critique. You know how some people get offended when people critique shots in these other forums headscratch.gif.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Thats it; the gloves are off.

Mike, the gloves stay on here in dgrin. Take a deep breath and get back to photography. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Mike, the gloves stay on here in dgrin. Take a deep breath and get back to photography. :D
    Gotcha Dave, I just put my gloves back on :P.
    - Ansel Adams.