Options

Attaching photos to a post

kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
edited April 14, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support
Good Day

I recently tried to post some pics from a recent trip. Many who tried to veiw the post couldn't see any pictures. I think I am doing something wrong.

How I do it is through the "insert image" icon.

1. first I "unprotect" my gallery that has the photos I want to post, so I can "copy image address", control/option click (MAC) to access the "copy image address" option, I am using Safari and Firefox.

2. I lay in my desired text to accompany the images within the post, "click - insert image" icon, and paste the image address into the box that appears. This process seems to lay in the image address into my post with - at the beginning and end of the image address.

3. I repeat this process a few times depending upon how many images I want to include in my post. I also hit return to leave a bit of space between image addresses.

What I am doing wrong? Please if at all possible don't refer me to the unbearably long confusing post that discusses this issue for too many pages. I tried to read it and got nothing out of it. I think I am close because other viewer were able to see all the pics I posted.

Help please, Shane

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited April 11, 2007
    Have you tried copy/pasting the full image link in between the img tags?

The way I do this is first type in the img tags (in a text editor) with the brackets and the "/" in the second img tag, navigate to my image URL, copy that, and then paste it between the tags, then copy that string and paste it into the posting editor. No icon needed.

Maybe you could try that and add another post in the same thread you started with those two images that didn't seem to work.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    What I am doing wrong?
    You have external links disabled in your painted desert gallery.
    Please if at all possible don't refer me to the unbearably long confusing post that discusses this issue for too many pages.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Ouch, I'm sorry you found our other postings unhelpful. Have you looked at the sticky thread, How to Do Most Anything? It also links you here:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    I considered making a new thread, since I think my issue is a bit different (all of my galleries have external links enabled), but in the event it helps, am going to post here.

It has been over a month since I posted a pic on dgrin (or posted a pic that linked to one of my smugmug shots), but I never had an issue...until today. I wanted to post my contest shot, and I clicked on the wondrous moutain "Insert Image" icon as I usually did. Then I just got the dreaded RED X of doom. I tried different sizes. I tried different pics, from different galleries. Nothing but the Red X. I tried it on a second computer. I tried it on a third. Then I asked a friend to try it on her computer.

She got the Red X as well, but she helped me figure out what was going on. For an example, here is the link that I copied and pasted from a pic on my Smugmug site that I have posted in the forums here before, yet when I tried today I get the Red X:

http://wrentheblurry.smugmug.com/gallery/2476046#132409040-M-LB

That is the medium size. Note the "LB" designation at the end; I guess that stands for linkback? Well, I am pretty sure it used to be jpg, and the LB was the cause of my Red X. My friend told me to right click the image, select "Properties", and then use the address given there. Note the difference:

http://wrentheblurry.smugmug.com/photos/132409040-M.jpg

THAT address will work when trying to post pics to dgrin, the previous one won't. So, now I know that I need to use the properties address instead of copying the one from the browser window, but please tell me I am not crazy, and that Smugmug DID change something to cause this? :)

happy day,

wren
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    The first is a link to view photos in your gallery (in lightbox - LB )

The second is a proper photo URL for embedding in forums. See here for more:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-sharing

The proper urls are found when you click on the share button in your gallery :D
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Andy, woot! Thank you, thank you, thank you! bowdown.gif

OK, clearly it was *user error* on my part, and I was SO convinced that Smugmug changed something, heh. I understand now that when things were working for me before it was because I was doing them correctly (after reading that page you linked, which is now bookmarked to avoid further spaciness on my part), and it had been so long that I forgot how to do it, even though I thought I knew, or something.

The moral here is: do not let a 4-6 weeks go by without posting a picture in the dgrin forums!

happy day,

wren