Options

Way to brown...

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited April 14, 2007 in People
This is a picture that I took a couple Saturdays ago of an elder who was preaching at our church.
I take pictures for the church's newsletter. Most of my pictures that I've taken for the NL
has been okay to those that put the NL together, but our pastor ran PowerPoint
today with the elder's picture on it, and so he asked me if I could somehow make the walls white,
the dark green plant on the left not so dark green, and make the elder's skin tone a true pigment,`cos he's a bit too brownish-red.

When I mess with it, it keeps coming out with too much fuzz, (color-noise, I guess).
I used my Lightsphere, but I was too far away with the lens set at about 24mm. Direct-flash would have blasted white everywhere,
like a nuclear explosion. Ceiling-bounce wouldn't do the job, so the picture is somewhat bad.
So I was wondering since I give up on making it better using all the photo-editors that I have,
would someone in here like to have a shot at it? Then I'll use what you guys worked with and then send it to my pastor for next week.

Thanks!

Dsc_0101.jpg
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited April 14, 2007
    This is my second attempt, mostly a simple white balance off the collar, and then a gamma adjustment using "Levels". There is no way to make the walls white, without masking the individual, and then I don't think you would like the results.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Here's my attempt. Making the wall white - like Ziggy says, not going to happen unless you do some masking work. It appears that you didn't use enough light to propery expose everything. The dark plant on the left is nearly absolutely black (RGB = 8, 10, 9).

What did I do:
    • Set white point on color
    • Set gray point on his suit
    • Drop the red saturation and lightness
    Without knowing his actual skin tones, this was what I came up with.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited April 14, 2007
    BTW, I find that I often get better results using a large "scoop" type reflector in addition to a flash bracket. It positions the primary light high enough to prevent most reflections, especially in a 1 or 2 shot, and gives enough edge definition to be believable without being harsh. Light falloff is similar to other large emitters.

143666524-O.jpg

143666541-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums