Options

would appreciate feedback on some "people shots"

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited April 14, 2007 in People
I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask for feedback-advice but here i go. below is a link to some of my "people" shots from Bolivia. these shots are straight out of the camera, no cropping or "photoshopping" (yet).
any advice or feedback will be welcomed. i am trying to fine tune my people portrait "fotos". Thanks - Dave

http://fotosbydavid.smugmug.com/gallery/2637369#139083384

Comments

• Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Well Dave I think you did a fabulous job on these photos. clap.gif SOOC the color looks pretty darn good. As I looked at each of the photos I just wondered about their life. May I ask what kind of camera did you use to take these and the lens?

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 13, 2007
    fascinating gallery-
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Fascinating images and well done! You crop very well in-camera and for straight out of the camera, these are terrific! thumb.gif Good luck marketing them.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    What a striking gallery! So many beautiful shots. They look excellent, especially for being straight from the camera. My one little niggle might be that so many of them are so centered in the portrait position (if that makes sense?). I think my personal preference would be to have a bit more space around some of the faces, or even have them in landscape format instead, with space to the left or right of the face (like some of them are). That being said, I would be thrilled to have as many shots filled with character that you have here!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Gosh, these are wonderful, David. Not only great exposures and skin tones, but also wonderful character in their faces.

Sometimes I wish for a bit more context, more than a head against a flat background. But I feel like I'm quibbling, these are so good.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Thanks Shane, i appreciate your input.

most of the photos were shot with a canon rebel xti, and with a canon $69 50mm 1.8. I am hoping to buy a 24-70 when i get back to the states in may.

SitterS wrote:
    Well Dave I think you did a fabulous job on these photos. clap.gif SOOC the color looks pretty darn good. As I looked at each of the photos I just wondered about their life. May I ask what kind of camera did you use to take these and the lens?

Shane
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Thanks Elaine,

I was thinking that too many of my shots were just head and shoulder shots. I will try to experiment and take a few more landscape shots. for some dumb reason i thought "people" shots had to be in tight. I just took about 5 gigs of shots today in peru of my usual in tight or head and shoulder shots. Tomorrow I am going to a market and hopefully I can get a some different shots! It is kind of tuff since i am using just a 50mm fixed lens. maybe i will try my tamaron 18-200, but this lens doesnt take as crisp of a photo as the canon 50mm.

thanks for your input!wings.gif

Dave
    Elaine wrote:
    What a striking gallery! So many beautiful shots. They look excellent, especially for being straight from the camera. My one little niggle might be that so many of them are so centered in the portrait position (if that makes sense?). I think my personal preference would be to have a bit more space around some of the faces, or even have them in landscape format instead, with space to the left or right of the face (like some of them are). That being said, I would be thrilled to have as many shots filled with character that you have here!

Elaine
  • Options
    midnitejammidnitejam Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Incredible character portraiture in your gallery.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 14, 2007
    Thanks Elaine,

I was thinking that too many of my shots were just head and shoulder shots. I will try to experiment and take a few more landscape shots. for some dumb reason i thought "people" shots had to be in tight. I just took about 5 gigs of shots today in peru of my usual in tight or head and shoulder shots. Tomorrow I am going to a market and hopefully I can get a some different shots! It is kind of tuff since i am using just a 50mm fixed lens. maybe i will try my tamaron 18-200, but this lens doesnt take as crisp of a photo as the canon 50mm.

thanks for your input!wings.gif

Dave

don't forget to go the other way. too-

you have a photo of a woman with a hat in your gallery that I think is a great crop-
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Wonderful shots. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of this culture.