Options

My 5D is arriving today

ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited April 17, 2007 in Cameras
Making the jump from the Rebel XT to a 5D (skipping a couple of steps) and it should be arriving today. I am pretty excited about making the move and all of my lenses are compatible.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited April 13, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    Making the jump from the Rebel XT to a 5D (skipping a couple of steps) and it should be arriving today. I am pretty excited about making the move and all of my lenses are compatible.

The 5D is a pretty amazing camera, but then, so is the XT and virtually every other modern dSLR on the current market. Ten years ago, I would have given a lot more for any of the current crop of cameras.

I anxiously await your images with this new tool.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:

I did the same over a year ago. Original 300D to the 5D. Wow!wings.gif What a difference. It makes all the posts about when is the next Canon dslr coming out enjoyable - I have no need to upgrade and no lust (yet)!

And once you get the 5D, have fun replacing all your lenses with 'L' glass.
    :lol :lol :lol :lol

(Seriously)
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I did the same over a year ago. Original 300D to the 5D. Wow!wings.gif What a difference. It makes all the posts about when is the next Canon dslr coming out enjoyable - I have no need to upgrade and no lust (yet)!

And once you get the 5D, have fun replacing all your lenses with 'L' glass.
    :lol :lol :lol :lol

(Seriously)

Thanks guys!

Actually, I already have the 70-200 2.8L IS, 17-40L (which I am a little nervous about the width on FF) and a 50 1.4. Having a couple of decent lenses really helped me make this decision. :)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    Outstanding! Great body. I hope your computer is up to the challenge of its very large files! lol3.gif make sure you have the right RAW processor.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 13, 2007
    Enjoy exploring available light at ISO 1600 with the 5D.thumb.gif

Just don't take it out in the rain to shoot without a good rain coat, it is not a happy camera in the rain. headscratch.gif

There are numerous tales of woe from folks shooting in the rain with a 5D. Mine stopped until it dried out and I was in a car and only outside very briefly in a drizzle, not even a real rain. This is a serious issue, some 5D's do not recover after failing in the rain :cry

The 5D is not a 1 series camera in terms of weather sealing. But it is small, light and easy to carry for a full frame DSLR, and makes really great images.wings.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Just don't take it out in the rain to shoot without a good rain coat, it is not a happy camera in the rain. headscratch.gif

There are numerous tales of woe from folks shooting in the rain with a 5D. Mine stopped until it dried out and I was in a car and only outside very briefly in a drizzle, not even a real rain. This is a serious issue, some 5D's do not recover after failing in the rain :cry
    Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard that.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard that.
    There was a thread on the Luminous Lanscape about 5Ds failing in the rain, but I can't seem to find it with a quick search right now. M Reichman talks about camera failures in Antarctica here

I do know that both rutt and I have had 5ds stop working after being used in the rain - I think rutt's had more water exposure than mine - mine really just got sprizzed in a drizzle-freezing rain a few times over the course of an afternoon in 28 degree weather - and then I lost the corners of my sensor ( they turned black in a couple images )- and then I had a brick that did not work at all. Drying it out overnight, successfully resusitated it without any apparent residuals. I was a little nervous for a while though. I am shopping for a raincoat before the shoot out this fall

This was shot at the Steamboat Arabia Museum with my 5d after drying out overnight ISO 800 f5 1/13th

130875594-L.jpg

• Options
    ripbobripbob Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Nice. I'm looking to upgrade in the future as well as I miss the ff I had with my 1Ds.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    I was thinking about moving up to a 5D from my XTi until I read this thread.
    A few rain drops and cam quits working? This isn't the cam for me.
    Back to looking at the 30D.

Thanks for the info guys.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    Dave,

Don't give up on the 5D. I had mine out in the rain again yesterday, and it worked fine. I just kept it inside my coat while walking about.

That said, digital cameras are electrical computers, and are not devices that fair well in the rain without protection. Read Michael Reichman's article about camera failures on his Antactica shoot. They spent a day shooting in the rain in the Falkland Islands, and it cost a bunch of cameras their lives.

He lists three Leica M-8 failures ( but they were not necessarily due to rain), three 5Ds ( one recovered), two 1DMkII, 6 1DsMkII ( 3 subsequently recovered), two Rebel XTs, two video cameras, and a Canon 70-200 f2,8 IS L.
    There were no Nikon failures due to rain, but the make up of the party was 85% were shooting Canon. He says they were outside in a continuous drizzel for over 90 minutes without access to any shelter.

There have been several threads here on dgrin regarding rain protection for digital cameras. Andy's use of a Zip loc bag is the simplest and cheapest and can be seen here

Kata and others make raincoats for cameras also http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=229&cid=61&perentId=4&ProdLine=4

• Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    It rains all the time here and I am just careful with my cameras, neither are sealed and I keep it in my coat too. Here's one of the shots I got on my first day out with my new 5D (also posted in another thread) and thought i would share it here too. I am pretty happy with my 17-40 on this thing, I was really worried about vignetting but it's not as bad as people make it out, at least to my taste.

143684208-M.jpg
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Yeah, that's kind of the thing. I don't abuse the camera, but it does get used in less than ideal conditions.
    I will say that about the Rebels, (300, 350 and 400) I haven't had any problems with any of them in less than perfect weather.

Not rain, just snow
    130572415-L.jpg

How about -10
    125473886-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    My rebels have faired well in less than ideal weather, rain and snow. My XTI has fared well at humid windy beaches.
    I was considering a 5D, but will look into another option now.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The 5D is a pretty amazing camera, but then, so is the XT and virtually every other modern dSLR on the current market. Ten years ago, I would have given a lot more for any of the current crop of cameras.

15524779-Ti.gif

Yup, wasn't long ago that a 1 MP DSLR cost thousands of dollars.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+