Cheaters never win! (an LPS example and lesson)

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited April 19, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I guess it was only a matter of time, but after only 3 rounds, we've had our first cheater. It's not bringing me any joy to do this, but I want to make it clear that cheating will not be tolerated, hence, let me review what happened.

The entry in LPS3 had a manually typed date of April 08, 2007:

144252037-L.jpg

Very shortly after the close of the thread, and before I had a chance to review all the entries thoroughly myself, an anonymous user sent me a PM alerting me that this photo had been posted on another forum, some time ago. I was sent a screen shot from this forum:

144252050-O.jpg

To be thorough, I simply saved the image that was submitted to our contest and read the exif, and true enough, it indicated the shot was much too old for the contest:

144252024-O.jpg

This is a big contest, with really big stakes, and while I hope things stay very friendly around here, as is the dgrin way, this was a case of zero tolerance. The entry was disqualified, and the user has been banned.

What's the moral of the story here?
1) cheaters never win.
2) there's always someone watching!
But most importantly, and the main reason I'm doing this in public:
3) EXIF is very important! We will have to be even more strict than before in demanding that proper date-shot information be included with all entries. This means manually entered date information is NOT sufficient! As the contest continues to grow we will not be able to PM everyone and hold your hand with this. If we are not satisfied that your entry was shot during the contest period, it will be disqualified, no discussion.
Thanks for reading, folks, now let's get back to shooting! :nod
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Speck26Speck26 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Well that truely sucks. Just takes one to ruin it for everybody else.ne_nau.gif

Any suggestions on how to keep the quality on a large file without "Save for Web" which strips out the exif?
    Cheers,
    Rebecca
    RebeccaJackrel.com

"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 16, 2007
    Speck26 wrote:

Any suggestions on how to keep the quality on a large file without "Save for Web" which strips out the exif?
    It's not ruined. For the most part, I think everyone here is playing nice, we have a great community, and while whistle-blowing is a tough discussion, I almost find it relieving that it was a fellow dgrinner who noticed this and reported it to me. Community watch is a good thing.

As for your tech question: You should be using "save as". This should not ruin your quality, at all. On the contrary, it preserves exif and all parameters. All "save for web" does is compress the image even further, particulary in terms of reducing the number of colors it saves. I may be mistaken here, so tech nerds, feel free to correct. I do however, use "save as" exclusively, and I can confirm that my linked images look great and they have their exif in tact.
    Erik

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Burn him!
    16518398-L.gif

Seriously, this is bad news. Good on the informant for letting us know thumb.gif
    edited April 16, 2007
    Ruined was a harsh word and sloppily choosen. I didn't mean that the contest was ruined, just the trust. This is an incredibly huge undertaking and it's been great to see what people come up with on short notice, can't wait to see more!
    Cheers,
    Rebecca
    RebeccaJackrel.com

"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Good catch, Erik! thumb.gif

I guess film and old P&S shooters are SOL here at LPS then - no exif whatsoever... Oh, well, it's "Digital Grin" afterall mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 16, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess film and old P&S shooters are SOL here at LPS then - no exif whatsoever... Oh, well, it's "Digital Grin" afterall mwink.gif
    Well, Nik, not so much.

You're right, this is Digital grin, but we don't want to limit this to the dslr crowd. There are ways of confirming photos. I don't want to get off on a specific tangent here, but let's just say we have, and will encounter this in the future, and will handle/have handled it on an individual basis.
    Erik

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Speck26 wrote:

Yup, just do a Save As... and that should work.

If you are using Photoshop Elements or Lightroom you should also be able to export from both at 800x800 with high quality and retain all your EXIF

I wouldn't use Save For web - that makes a lower quality image for use on the web rather than a high quality contest image.

Anyway, bummer about the cheater, but thumb.gifclap.gif to you guys for catching this! I totally agree about being tough on EXIF - It's all spelled out numerous times and it's not that hard with all the help you guys have given....

Great job!
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    My wife uses an old Canon Powershot A20. That also has exif.
    The only digi cams without exif? Mobile phones.
    With 3.2MP mobiles getting common, it wont be long before someone takes a masterpiece shot with those. Infact any good 2MP phone cam can take great pics in bright sunlight.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Well, Nik, not so much.

You're right, this is Digital grin, but we don't want to limit this to the dslr crowd. There are ways of confirming photos. I don't want to get off on a specific tangent here, but let's just say we have, and will encounter this in the future, and will handle/have handled it on an individual basis.

My kudos to you then! bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Zoinks. In the rules it says 800 pixels max and 150KB max. In order to hit both maximums I used Save For Web. Do I understand correctly that I'm able to upload the full-sized, Save As shot to my SmugMug portfolio and link the (L) size version of it in the contest threads and I'll be OK? What are the ramifications for the final Sharpening routine I run?

Also. I always just shoot RAW (CR2), but I think SmugMug only accepts JPG files.

Also again. I have a love for HDR, healthy or not. I'm pretty sure this strips the EXIF. But I do hold on to the original(s), out-of-the-camera files. Would you be willing to verify from these?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Slippy
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Strikeslip wrote:
    Zoinks. In the rules it says 800 pixels max and 150KB max. In order to hit both maximums I used Save For Web. Do I understand correctly that I'm able to upload the full-sized, Save As shot to my SmugMug portfolio and link the (L) size version of it in the contest threads and I'll be OK?
    Yes.
    What are the ramifications for the final Sharpening routine I run?
    None, try it thumb.gif

Also. I always just shoot RAW (CR2), but I think SmugMug only accepts JPG files.
    Correct.

Also again. I have a love for HDR, healthy or not. I'm pretty sure this strips the EXIF. But I do hold on to the original(s), out-of-the-camera files. Would you be willing to verify from these?
    Just link the exif from the underlying HDR'd images - we'll understandthumb.gif
  • ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:

That's exactly what I did and it's in the original instructions. In fact, I double checked before going out on my shoot just to be safe. mwink.gif
    edited April 16, 2007
    Thanks Andy,

You're like the King of Answers. I guess I'm like a walking question-mark. mwink.gif

I'll try to behave. :D
    edited April 16, 2007
    Strikeslip wrote:
    Zoinks. In the rules it says 800 pixels max and 150KB max.
    To clarify, the 150kb limit only applies to people who are attaching. This is a technical limit imposed by the forum software, so that our servers don't get overloaded.

If you are linking your photo from SmugMug, or anywhere else on the web that your image may be hosted, only the 800px size rule applies.

clear as mud? :D
    Erik

edited April 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    If you are linking your photo from SmugMug, or anywhere else on the web that your image may be hosted, only the 800px size rule applies.

bowdown.gif MY HERO!!!!!!! iloveyou.gif This makes it MUCH easier! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!thumb.gifivar
    Cheers,
    Rebecca
    RebeccaJackrel.com

edited April 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    To clarify, the 150kb limit only applies to people who are attaching. This is a technical limit imposed by the forum software, so that our servers don't get overloaded.

I understand, and that's good to know! Too bad for my last entry, as it suffered for the sampling-down. It was something like 50% quality to get those maximums.

Maybe I should've gabbed in these forums a bit, but I thought I'd spare everyone that pain. My wife doesn't even listen to me anymore, hehe. ne_nau.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:

The rules page could be clearer on this point. Here is what it says:
    Photos must be not longer than 800 pixels on their longest side, and not more than 150Kb in size. If you use SmugMug, link a -L image (Large) for landscapes or use a custom image size to maximize a portrait. Photos with branding or watermarks will be disqualified, however, a small signature and copyright are encouraged. No borders or framing (discussion here).

Note the "." after 150Kb in size? There's nothing in there at all about a linked vs. attached images. I would change it to something along the lines of
    Photos must be not longer than 800 pixels on their longest side. Note that attached images are limited to 150KB but if you host your image elsewhere the file size can be larger. If you use SmugMug, link a -L image (Large) for landscapes or use a custom image size to maximize a portrait. Photos with branding or watermarks will be disqualified, however, a small signature and copyright are encouraged. No borders or framing (discussion here).
    edited April 16, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The rules page could be clearer on this point.
    I should also be wealthier and have a Ferrari...

See some of Shay's other posts: we're stuck between writing a book of rules, that no one will read, and letting you figure some stuff out on your own. you're here to learn not only photo technique, but dealing with life as a photog. It ain't always gonna be handed to you on a platter. nod.gif

btw, we're straying off the point with file sizes and rule technicalities here. this thread is about nailing down the importance of a very blunt point: play fair, and don't expect handholding - if your entry smells funny, we're throwing it out.
    Erik

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    if your entry smells funny, we're throwing it out.

Does that mean I can't shoot spoiled cheese for LPS4 :D?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited April 16, 2007
    lol3.gif

(thanks, I needed that)
    Erik

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Hmmm, and I had some smelly ideas for "Organic" too...
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:

In the future, do you want exif for all involved exposures in an HDR? I submitted an HDR to challenge #2, and with it I sumbitted the EXIF of the middle exposure. Seemed fair and simple, but I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what you guys needed in the future.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    The official instructions say this:
    Photos made via HDR, you can include the exif from one of the merged images.

In my case it looks a little different than the original because I didn't do all my PP (cloning, etc) until after I did the merge, but it's obvous that the exif is from one of the merged photos.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Spoiled cheese is for eating ! Im one of those weirdos that searches the cheese sections in supermarkets for stuff thats out of date.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Spoiled cheese is for eating ! Im one of those weirdos that searches the cheese sections in supermarkets for stuff thats out of date.
    so do you often cry "Who moved your cheese" clap.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    so do you often cry "Who moved your cheese" clap.gif

rolleyes1.gif Took me a minuite to get that !
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Strikeslip wrote:
    Thanks Andy,

You're like the King of Answers. I guess I'm like a walking question-mark. mwink.gif

I'll try to behave. :D

Yay, Slippy! Glad you're here. thumb.gif
    edited April 17, 2007
    lynnesite wrote:
    Yay, Slippy! Glad you're here. thumb.gif
    Uh Oh! I've been found out! Curses on DPC!
    *runs & hides*
  • RistyzRistyz Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Strikeslip wrote:
    Uh Oh! I've been found out! Curses on DPC!
    *runs & hides*

Lynne wasn't the only one that noticed....... you? behave?...... riigghhhttt!

Welcome
  • padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Well, Nik, not so much.

I asked this before, and the answer was a big no no for submiting film entries...
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera