Options

My First Message - New To Forum

Jim FerrisJim Ferris Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited April 18, 2007 in Holy Macro
AN OLDER NOVICE WOULD APPRECIATE SOME SERIOUS HANDHOLDING FROM YOU MACRO MASTERS. I sold my 2 Nikons, took the next step and just bought my 2nd Cannon - a 5D. I have enjoyed taking closeups of butterflies and flowers for years and now am hoping to take closer macros of bugs and so forth, hopefully approaching the enjoyable quality you folks acheive. I believe I now have part of the hardware but could use better lighting and extension tubes and whatever. Plus a lot of trials and errors.

I have the following cameras and lenses:

Canon 5D
Canon Digital Rebel XT

Canon EFS 18-55mm
Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Canon EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 ZOOM
Canon EF 100mm F2.8 MACRO USM
Canon EF 50mm 1.25 MACRO

Which Macro lens should I purchase a ring light for?
Which set of extension tubes should I buy?

OR: Am I going in the right direction? Are there other setups I should consider? I've seen many in this an other forums.

Cordially.... Jim

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Hi welcome to the forum :)

To answer some of your questions, I wouldn't get a ring flash at all- just an ETTL flash like a 430EX a flash bracket and make a diffuser for it.
    You'll get an idea of the setups I use here.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/

If you are set on a macro flash then I'd recommend the M24EX but it is an expensive setup and probably unnecessary.

I'd get a full set of Kenko ext tubes to use with your 100mm macro lens. That will allow you to get to 2:1.

Later on when you have got used to shooting at 2:1 you can always go the whole hog a get an MPE-65 lens- does upto 5:1 with no additions.

You are always welcome to PM me if you have some specific questions.

Brian V.
  • Options
    DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    First welcome to the addiction -see you at the weekly support meetings :D

To answer your flash question: I've used a diffused 430EX, an MT-24, and then I bought an MR-14EX (in that order). You can use the 430 EX, but I've never been impressed with the quality of the light that it produces. The MT-24 will give you greater separation between the flash heads but it's not necessary once you get up to half life size and greater magnification. The MR-14 EX is always in my camera bag, produces the best quality of light of any flash that I've used, and if you use the ratio control that's built into it you can control the shadows and give an image a very 3D feel. Anyone who says that the MR-14EX is only good for dental work (because the light is flat) didn't read the manual that came with it.

Here is an example using the 430 EX:

89581222-L-1.jpg

Here is an example using the MT-24:

89581865-L.jpg

Last here is an example using the MR-14 EX:

140836567-L.jpg

Currently I'm using the MR-14EX about 98% of the time and the other 2% I'm using the 430EX (when I need to use a bounced light source to cut glare).

If you want some tips on shooting macro just go to my blog (the link is in my signature).
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Jim Ferris wrote:
    AN OLDER NOVICE WOULD APPRECIATE SOME SERIOUS HANDHOLDING FROM YOU MACRO MASTERS. I sold my 2 Nikons, took the next step and just bought my 2nd Cannon - a 5D. I have enjoyed taking closeups of butterflies and flowers for years and now am hoping to take closer macros of bugs and so forth, hopefully approaching the enjoyable quality you folks acheive. I believe I now have part of the hardware but could use better lighting and extension tubes and whatever. Plus a lot of trials and errors.

I have the following cameras and lenses:

Canon 5D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT

Canon EFS 18-55mm
    Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
    Canon EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 ZOOM
    Canon EF 100mm F2.8 MACRO USM
    Canon EF 50mm 1.25 MACRO

Which Macro lens should I purchase a ring light for?
    Which set of extension tubes should I buy?

OR: Am I going in the right direction? Are there other setups I should consider? I've seen many in this an other forums.

Cordially.... Jim

Hi Jim....... the Kenko Tubes are a very good choice, they come in a set of 3 and allow the lens to still use AUTO Focus, however doing extreme close-up you will probably find the the lens will tend to HUNT.

The Kenko's are not expensive at all, and value for money they are worth every cent B&H have them for $169 for the set.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=375102&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Neither of Canons Flashs designed specificly for MACRO are cheap, however they are designed for MACRO.
    You can improvise as most of us do with your current flash, using Diffusers etc, but I guess its up to you how much you want to spend :D

You have some great lenses there Jim, I see Dalantech has already replied to you, I hope you get some more responses :D

Welcome to the Dgrin Forum, and we look forward to seeing you post some Macro Pictures in the near future thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    You have some great lenses there Jim, I see Dalantech has already replied to you, I hope you get some more responses :D

I'm crushed! You didn't like my response?! :D
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I'm crushed! You didn't like my response?! :D

Ohhhhhhhh no no no, sometimes folks like to hear from more than just one person you had a wonderful reply thumb.gif .... Skippy

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ohhhhhhhh no no no, sometimes folks like to hear from more than just one person you had a wonderful reply thumb.gif .... Skippy

Just teasing you brother :D
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Gentlemen, THANK YOU! I am overwhelmed with your detailed replies. All photos were just what I would like to be able to equal in time. I do not sell my photos but have a tremendous ego to support. Your ‘package’ replies are just what I was looking for and needed…. I was also impressed that they came from countries that I had enjoyed visiting in my travels. Italy and Great Britain a multiple of times, mostly as a tourist, and fantastic Australia but once. I now only return to them when I view the great photos I took. My travels now require less exertion and are mostly ocean and river cruises.

Now for the nitty-gritty. I would appreciate source info for the MPE-65 lens that Brian mentioned and the MR14EX light that “Dalantech” mentioned. Once I post this missive I will order the Kenko tubes from B&H as “Skippy” suggested.

A few more questions please:
    What camera settings do you gentlemen use for your close-close work?
    Do you usually ‘manual’ focus?

Again…Many thanks… Once I learn how to post photo’s I will send a few I have taken in the past looking forward to the day when I can post one or two that approach your awesome quality.

Cordially, Jimwings.gifwings.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Jim,

EDIT: Make sure you read this post and the links inside!!

The MP-65E is a manual focus-only macro from Canon. It's not cheap. Look to spend about $800.00. Consider this before you drop the money.

The MR-14EX ringlight is also from Canon. This wil set you back about $450.00

I do not believe the extension tubes work with the MP-65 lens. So if you are getting the tubes you will also need a lens that will work with these. Brian/John please correct me if I am wrong here.

You will probably need a decent tripod, too. Something that lets you get your camera low to the ground but also close to the subject. In addition to that you may want to investigate the possibility of a gorillapod tripod.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Jim Ferris wrote:
    Again…Many thanks… Once I learn how to post photo’s I will send a few I have taken in the past looking forward to the day when I can post one or two that approach your awesome quality.

Get a smugmug account. Then all you have to do is upload the photos and use the image link function in the message in dgrin.mwink.gif

And please, don't wait for the perfect image to post. Comments and critiques from others are always great for learning!!
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Gentlemen: Back again, and I believe I have found all hardware info discussed so far at B&H. With your concurrence I have,at this point, decided to pass on a third macro lense - the MP_E65. I am bent between the MR-14 EX RINGLIGHT @ $450.00 and the MT-24EX TWIN RINGLIGHT @ $650.00.

Assuming that I would make my 100mm macro lens my prime lens and use the 50 macro lens as a backup or for some other reason. In either case I would require some additional accessories for hookup or whatever. Your suggestions please. I assume whichever flash unit I purchase would only fit on my prime lens(?).

I have not, but will, order the Kenko tube set when I place my order for all the other hardware we decide on.

Will that do it for now? What have I forgotten?

Told you more than I know!!! Again...to you all... Many thanks!! bowdown.gif

Jimwings.gifwings.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Jim Ferris wrote:
    Now for the nitty-gritty. I would appreciate source info for the MPE-65 lens that Brian mentioned and the MR14EX light that “Dalantech” mentioned. Once I post this missive I will order the Kenko tubes from B&H as “Skippy” suggested.

A few more questions please:

This font color is difficult to read -and I don;t see an option to change it :cry

I'm not sure what you mean by "source info". Are you looking for reviews?

Jim Ferris wrote:
    What camera settings do you gentlemen use for your close-close work?
    Do you usually ‘manual’ focus?

Cordially, Jimwings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

The answers to your last questions are in my macro technique article (link in my signature).
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Jim Ferris wrote:
    Gentlemen: Back again, and I believe I have found all hardware info discussed so far at B&H. With your concurrence I have,at this point, decided to pass on a third macro lense - the MP_E65. I am bent between the MR-14 EX RINGLIGHT @ $450.00 and the MT-24EX TWIN RINGLIGHT @ $650.00.

Assuming that I would make my 100mm macro lens my prime lens and use the 50 macro lens as a backup or for some other reason. In either case I would require some additional accessories for hookup or whatever. Your suggestions please. I assume whichever flash unit I purchase would only fit on my prime lens(?).

I have not, but will, order the Kenko tube set when I place my order for all the other hardware we decide on.

Will that do it for now? What have I forgotten?

Told you more than I know!!! Again...to you all... Many thanks!! bowdown.gif

Jimwings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

Both flashes with work with Canon's 100mm lens (the MR-14 EX was designed for the 100mm lens, and the MT-24 comes with a lens mount that fits the 100). I think you can order an adapter that will allow you to use those flashes with the 50mm.

If I had it to do all over again I would have bought the MR-14 first. But I listened to all the negative hype about the MR-14 producing flat light (it doesn't) and I purchased the MT-24 instead. I still use it, but the MT-24 is currently in my closet and the MR-14 is in my camera bag...
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Gentlemen: I expect this will be my last input for a bit of time as I am now, thanks to your good graces, ready to order hardware as follows:
    * The Kenko tube set.
    * The MR-14EX TTL Ring lite flash for use with my 100mm macro lens.
    * If necessary, an adaptor for the flash for my 50mm macro lens.
    * the special low level tripod one of you recommended.
    * Whatever else adaptors the B&H agent suggests I should consider.

One of you suggested one of my messages was difficult to read as it contained black letters on a dark background. This was my fault as I found that I kept hitting some keys or whatever that caused me to lose my copy several times as I was writing. So instead I wrote the message in Micrsoft Word, copied same and posted it as you received it. The letters would not be changed to white for me either. Sorry... it won't happen again.bowdown.gif ........ I also thank the same person for the references to get my suggestions for cameras setup and usage info. ......I thank another of you for advice as to where to go for info as to posting my photos for you all to critique. (Having been in a traveling barbershop quartette for several years I assure that I have a hard skin, welcome same and cry silently in private).

Guess that takes us up to date. My thank you's are sincere.

Now... To call B&H, place my orders, and wait impatiently for all to
    arrive.

Cordially..... Jimwings.gifwings.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Good luck with your new gear! If you need help getting use to it you know where to find us :)
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Just teasing you brother :D

......I'm a she not a he :D .. Skippy

• Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    ......I'm a she not a he :D .. Skippy

My apologies :cry
    My SmugMug Gallery