Options

New Computer

Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
edited April 16, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I am thinking about a new computer for my Photo editing needs. Any advise on what I need??? I don't want to break the bank, but I do want it to last a while! :scratch

Comments

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Some questions:

How heavy of photo editing needs (i.e. will you run Photoshop CS2/3, or will you be happy with something more basic)?

Do you want a laptop, or would you be okay with a desktop?

Do you want a mac or pc?
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Some questions:

How heavy of photo editing needs (i.e. will you run Photoshop CS2/3, or will you be happy with something more basic)?

Do you want a laptop, or would you be okay with a desktop?

Do you want a mac or pc?

I will run Photoshop 6 or Photoshop Elements 5. I often have up tp 7 layers. I would be ok with a Desktop. I thought that desk top monitors were better. I want a PC. I don't know anything about Macs.

Thanks!
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    I'm running PSE 5 on a 2.4GHz/1GB RAM/64MB video card desktop that I built myself 3 years ago and the system rarely seems taxed with anything I throw at it with PSE 5 (although I always feel like I am running out of hard drive space for all my pictures). Any of new dual core PCs will pretty blow away what I have.

The challenge right now is that most of the PCs will have Vista on it, and if you're gonna get Vista with all of the bells and whistles you need a pretty beefy box. To test Vista Ultimate at work we have a 3GHz dual core PC with 4GB RAM and a 256MB video card, it was about $1500.

I've generally found Dell has best deals, you can find the latest great Dell deal here or here.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange