Options

Off camera flash portraits

harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited April 16, 2007 in People
My first real chance of doing a portrait or two using the FL50 and OLy E1+ 14-54ZD - with my nephew as the guinea pig. I was also testing out the E1 after it took a serious knock that afternoon - (attempted theft from my rucksack) 3 bounces down the escalator, lens first before I managed to get too it. The lens appears to be aok - thank God for pro build quality on both the lens and the body, although I'm sending both off to Oly to get checked over. All c&C more han welcome - I'm going to pick up a couple of light stands and some umbrella's. These were taken with FL50 and a home made snoot, ebay wireless triggers.

1. Not sure if it was the AF or just me not checking where the AF point was when I took the shoot - can;t remember why its focsued onto the T-shirt.

143147044-M.jpg

2. Close up - converted to B&W

143392867-M.jpg

3. The Eyes have it:

143147074-M.jpg

4. Last one - this kind of shows you more of what he's like (pain in the butt :D but handy for experiments!) - again I'm not sure if it was me or the AF that was out.

143147021-L.jpg

Cheers

Harj

:thumb :D
143147021-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    I like them all but #2 stands out. Amazing detail and shadows, composition and the reflection in the glasses makes it interesting. Nice work!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 16, 2007
    Off camera flash is the cat's meow as your shots demonstrate.thumb.gif

Your lighting is very nice, but is also fairly harsh, sharp, dramatic. Try shooting another series with the flash off the camera bounced off a white wall first, or with a diffuser of some type and see if you don't like the softer, off camera flash also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Great shots! Definitely try bouncing...

Also, check your DOF. Looks a bit too shallow. It probably focused correctly, but your DOF is so shallow that only that which is focused on is in focus and nothing else...

HTH!

Great job!