Options

Hep me, somebody hep me!

NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
edited April 17, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Last year I took Little League pictures and had people order thru Smugmug. Oh, and made almost nothing! This year I have been invited to do the same....why, I question myself? I did enjoy the experience but worked too hard for too little money.

I would love to have your opinion on how to approach it this year. Here is what is going thru my mind.....offer many of the same "products" that the "other guys" offer, i. e. 5x7, 8x10, poster, wallets, photo button, team photo, and for a special deal a digitial download.

They will get a discount on the "sitting" fee as they are returning customers as well as an 8x10 or 5x7 for orders over $x. I would like to make some money but being the mother of 5 I would also like to make it reasonable for them to purchase what they want without going bankrupt.

If I have missed a variable, please let me know but I would appreciate input from anyone who has "been there, done that, got the tee-shirt".

:scratch :scratch :scratch:bow :bow :bow

Advthanksance,
Maureen

:wink

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    The missing variable is what kinda model we are talking about here.

Is this an event, is this team and individual's, etc etc etc.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2007
    The missing variable is what kinda model we are talking about here.

Is this an event, is this team and individual's, etc etc etc.

Sorry, yes it is.....team picture and individuals...you know the kind from the waist up with the bat on the shoulder. They are very traditional people....tried a twist on the team pic last year and it did not sell ....only the traditional and the individuals.

Maureen eek7.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Team and Individual cannot be done on spec - I have a $10 per player rate if and only if every player on the team participates. Generates an average of $160 per team - 1 hour to shoot typically, with travel time, 1.5 hours minimum to process-print-colate, $2 per in hard cost (prints, folders, stickers). So the $160 works out to about $50 per hour before tax, equipment, utilities etc.

If you do this speculatively, you won't cover your costs.

My alternate proposition is to cover a game and provide a cd of action shots for a flat rate of $180. Use the shots to your hearts content. I used to do that on spec - but it does not work well.

ann
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Team and Individual cannot be done on spec - I have a $10 per player rate if and only if every player on the team participates. Generates an average of $160 per team - 1 hour to shoot typically, with travel time, 1.5 hours minimum to process-print-colate, $2 per in hard cost (prints, folders, stickers). So the $160 works out to about $50 per hour before tax, equipment, utilities etc.

If you do this speculatively, you won't cover your costs.

My alternate proposition is to cover a game and provide a cd of action shots for a flat rate of $180. Use the shots to your hearts content. I used to do that on spec - but it does not work well.

ann

Thanks Ann, for the thoughts. It is nice to hear from someone with experience. clap.gif I will most certainly will take this advice to heart.

Maureen
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    When I do T&I shots its very simple. They get an order form up front, they decide what package they want, I get a check, I take the photos, they can order more after the fact of course but I do not know any big T&I company (even school portraits for that matter) that does it on spec. I have always seen them sell the packages up front.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com