Options

SmugMug Profile Widget Script

red hot sheepred hot sheep Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
It's a fun script which displays the number of photos and photo folders you have in your account, surrounded by a frame of either your most recent or popular photos. I was inspired to make it after I saw something similar for flickr users, but couldn't find anything similar for SmugMug.

Link: http://smugmug.netbits.co.uk/index

Hope you enjoy! :)

Francis

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Haha - that's fun!
    rainforest1155.png

Can you maybe add an option to output as a JPG as well as this would take up less bandwith and wouldn't make much of a difference in quality if compressed reasonable?

Thanks for creating and sharing this!

Sebastian

EDIT: How do you go on deciding where to crop the photos?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Thanks for the comment!

A JPG option would be good - I'll look into it when I have a chance.

The photo is first resized so that the smallest dimension is 50 pixels. The remaining side is then cropped to 50 in the middle.

Francis
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Sounds good how you're doing the cropping.

How about adding your hack to the smugmug wiki to make it easier for people to find it? To get an accout just drop smugmug a mail.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    GoodEyeGoodEye Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    It's a fun script which displays the number of photos and photo folders you have in your account, surrounded by a frame of either your most recent or popular photos. I was inspired to make it after I saw something similar for flickr users, but couldn't find anything similar for SmugMug.

Link: http://smugmug.netbits.co.uk/index

Hope you enjoy! :)

Francis

That's pretty cool, could you change "Pictures" to "Photos"? Here's why:

goodeye.png
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Thanks! I didn't realise anyone would have that many photos!

I've changed pictures to photos.

Francis
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Thanks! I didn't realise anyone would have that many photos!

I've changed pictures to photos.

Francis

I am guessing it can only count public photos, my number looks low, but then the bulk of my photos are behind passwords
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Yes, it can only count public photos - and I've added this as a note when your creat your widget.
    Can you maybe add an option to output as a JPG as well as this would take up less bandwith and wouldn't make much of a difference in quality if compressed reasonable?

Good idea - the site now makes JPG images by default. So, if you want to swap your image over to the JPG version, simply change the file extension to .jpg from .png.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Yes, it can only count public photos - and I've added this as a note when your creat your widget.
    Thanks, makes sense...while we are shooting requests at you rolleyes1.gif, maybe another one: this looks very much like the flickr tags you see around. I would like to use this as a email tag or even a board posting tag. But in that case, having the gallery stats (number of photos and folders ) isnt useful...Maybe a version that have my user name, but then a 'visit me on Smugmug" or Visit my homepage' or something like that, and a link to a smugmug page...
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Thanks, makes sense...while we are shooting requests at you rolleyes1.gif, maybe another one: this looks very much like the flickr tags you see around. I would like to use this as a email tag or even a board posting tag. But in that case, having the gallery stats (number of photos and folders ) isnt useful...Maybe a version that have my user name, but then a 'visit me on Smugmug" or Visit my homepage' or something like that, and a link to a smugmug page...
    Nice idea!

Would you have the same 12 photos in a square, with link in the middle? Or, and I suppose this makes more sense, would a thinner, longer version be better? ie. one photo high, and say, 5 long, with the links underneath?

Any ideas appreciated!

Francis