Options

Soccer season finally begins

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited April 17, 2007 in Sports
Soccer season finally began last Saturday after a two week delay due to weather. Really not sure why they start the season around here in March as it is our most unpredictable month for weather. Practicing again on action shots. Tried to take the advice given to me in another thread to include faces, balls and I think the other was the number (can't remember). Didn't get alot of shots on Saturday but thought these two turned out pretty good. Would like some thoughts from those that take sport shots if you have a moment.

One adjustment that I did make but forgot to post the shot with the change is a hue/sat adj. on the reds in the first pic.

Both shots taken with the 70-200mm IS.

Shane

143725388-L.jpg143726242-L.jpg
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    Practicing again on action shots. Tried to take the advice given to me in another thread to include faces, balls and I think the other was the number (can't remember).

I think the other one (or if not it should be) is backgrounds. Try to clean up your backgrounds, it looks like you are kneeling already so try to find a place to shoot where you dont have a distracting background (which I know can be a challenge with youth sports.

But you have two great action shots, sharp in color and shot at the height of action that are sort of lost in the background clutter. Especially the first one.

So keep up with the faces, and getting the balls in, you seem are capturing great action, just clean up your backgrounds and you will have some great action photos.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Thank you Winger for the tip on the clutter in the background. It sure is hard as there are people everywhere on this field. Huge place with lots of kids and parnets. Will make a note of this and practice up again on Saturday watching the backgrounds.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    Thank you Winger for the tip on the clutter in the background. It sure is hard as there are people everywhere on this field. Huge place with lots of kids and parnets. Will make a note of this and practice up again on Saturday watching the backgrounds.

Shane

Yeah I know with youth sports trying to clear up the clutter is a challenge, its either people or a not so pretty parking lot. But as long as the sunlight it not in a directional part of the day i think you should be able to find something. And I think you will really notice the difference in the results.

Something like this is also good, you have the same lens I use, so with distance between the action and the fans you should be able to at least clear up alot of the distraction with some bokeh. As long as there is not someone with a bright orange jacket (I have had that happen too)

41967669-M.jpg

100016559-M-1.jpg

99744015-M-1.jpg

99745100-M-2.jpg

99745784-M-1.jpg

100022092-M-1.jpg

Looking through my soccer gallery I realise that getting a "clean" empty background is next to impossible, similar with lax. But putting some distance between the subject and the background blurs the background and brings up the action (again as long as there isnt some crazy orange jack in the background or a port a potty or something).

The other thing is when I shoot these sort of rectangluar field sports (except football) so soccer, lax, field hockey. I tend to shoot from the corners shooting out towards the center of the field or I shoot about a 1/3 of the way up. And the key is I pretty much always shoot on the players side, that way you dont get the clutter if you shoot across the field of the action + the players bench area in the background. But if for example you are shooting from the corner facing towards the middle of the field you still can get play and coaches action.

21146172-M.jpg

some with the players bench in the background....distracting
    39488778-M-1.jpg

36832719-M-1.jpg

I am by no means an expert, I too am a student of the school of hard knocks, so anytime I can share something that I had to figure out on my own, i like to take the opportunity to save other people the time. Hope this all makes sense.
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Those are some really, really nice shots!!

The only reccomendation I can make is to try to keep the shutter speed up so that the edges stay sharp and clear and use some in camera exposure comensation to brighten up the shadows and faces, other than that you are shooting like a Pro!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Winger and JoeL I really appreciate you taking the time to provide some excellent feedback. Saturday is another game so back to the field to practice the tips you have given. I love shooting action shots but it is challenging for sure!

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8