Options

sekonic L308 vs L358

yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited January 25, 2005 in Accessories
My trusty sekonic L308 has packed up and to get it repaired in the UK will cost me more than buying a new one in New York this weekend.

So do I buy another L308, or do I take one step up to the L358. I've read the specs, but realistically, is there really any point? I don't do anything fancy with it. I only ever use it for incident light readings with two Elinchrom 500 heads. Is there any specific function that you would say makes the L358 particularly worth buying over the L308?

Anyone using it? Any comments, please?

Oh and whilst we're at it? Any views on Bowens pulsar vs Pocket Wizard?

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    My trusty sekonic L308 has packed up and to get it repaired in the UK will cost me more than buying a new one in New York this weekend.

So do I buy another L308, or do I take one step up to the L358. I've read the specs, but realistically, is there really any point? I don't do anything fancy with it. I only ever use it for incident light readings with two Elinchrom 500 heads. Is there any specific function that you would say makes the L358 particularly worth buying over the L308?

Anyone using it? Any comments, please?

Oh and whilst we're at it? Any views on Bowens pulsar vs Pocket Wizard?

I used to have the older versions of both. I think the 308 is fine for what you want. The 358 has more bells and whistle (and is all-weather?). It looks like it might offer a compact solution with the Pocket Wizard if that is important. The 308 is smaller too. thumb.gif

I would go with the Pocket Wizard simply because they seem to be the brand of choice at the moment here. I see them a lot the local rental house. Profoto generators also come with them built in as an options (also a very heavy rental line). I still have Quantam Radio Slaves from ten years ago. Now I use the Canon wireless E-TTL for most of my work and do not need them any more. I don't know much about the Bowens. I still use a snyc cable when I use studio stobes these days. It is a simple solution.