Options

Backyard Portraits

gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
edited April 17, 2007 in People
I was getting a little antsy not having shot in a while. Today turned out to be a beautiful day in Bremerton so convinced the wife to do some modeling for me. Setup my strobe in the backyard and tried a few things. These are just a few I've worked on, a lot more to sort through.

77251096.jpg

77251714.jpg

I just got a 22" LCD so this is the first time I've done processing work with it. Don't have a hardware calibration device yet so did it by eye. Do these look to be acceptable in terms of color and shadow/highlights?

Thanks

Alex
http://www.reverbphotography.com
Nikon D300
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
2 Alien Bees AB800
Nikon Speedlight SB800
Elinchrome Skyport Triggers

Comments

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Beautiful model, I really like no 2.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2007
    Thanks Seamus I'm sure she'll appreciate the complement.

I'm trying out a couple of processing techniques in PS what do you think of this one?

77255490.jpg
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2007
    And this one I call "an ode to spiderman". (I read way too many comics as a child.)

77256080.jpg
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    These are great! #4 I'm a bit distracted by the reflection in the water. I like the PP on #3... Color looks good. Well, unless she's not supposed to be green... ;) (No, no, looks fine to me.)

Gorgeous model! :D
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    i like her relaxed pose in #2 but it isn't the greatest expression of hers (and she's obviously capable of more).

I like #2 but it is a little forced? the background bokeh is amazing. I think this one could benefit from some contrast work.

#3 is my personal favorite of the bunch. You've really turned me on to the "cyclops" lighting Laughing.gif. :) I like the pose, and when she gets that particular gaze going, it's hard to look away. Her one eye is sharp and clear and her lips parted in an "I don't care if you think I'm sexy or not (because I know I am) kind of way. I personally think the diffused effect is counteracting the overall feel. It calls for a dirty, edgy, contrasty process.

I love #4 and think it's right on as far as composition, pose.
    Whatever processing you did is perfect, the contrast and colors and textures look right on. Maybe could even be amped up even more depending on personal taste. I love the textures in the denim, water and weathered dock contrasted with her creamy skin. Although her face looks a tad ghost-y (possibly from skin softening/dodging?)

I'm loving your outdoor portraits, the colors are so subtle and well-exposed. Your wife is gorgeous and its awesome to see her evolve in front of the camera.

Were you using the 80-200 on these? Was this a completely overcast day? the light looks amazingly even.

ETA: I just saw in the OP you used a strobe, wow, you did an awesome job balancing artificial vs. ambient light.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    No.3 's the best of the bunch - she makes a perfect model and it looke as if you have a cracker of backyard.

Cheers

HarjTT

thumb.gif:D
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    I agree...#3 is really good. THis is coming from a guy that is not a pro..I just like pictures...and that one captures me.

How did you do the processing? I like the look.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    They are all great. Number 3 really stands out for me. Great work. Every time I pick up the camera my wife runs!!
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2007
    I agree...#3 is really good. THis is coming from a guy that is not a pro..I just like pictures...and that one captures me.

How did you do the processing? I like the look.
    I didn't really do much processing, the "look" all comes from how I lit the shot.
    I waited until before the sun was about to set to get subdued lighting. And used my strobe at low power (around f/2.8 - f/4) and set my shutterspeed to synch @ 1/500 to control the amount of ambient light.

Then in PS I just did my normal Levels correction. Did a little bit of dodging and burning using curves adjustment layers. Then bumped the contrast a little to give it a little more pop. Then to get the final look, I turned down the saturation to -40.
    No.3 's the best of the bunch - she makes a perfect model and it looke as if you have a cracker of backyard.
    Yeah we lucked out a bit on the housing situation when we got married. Her folks owned a house here in Bremerton so they're letting us rent it for pretty cheap until we can get our own. The house just happens to be a lakefront property, I wasn't about to say no. :)
    #3 is my personal favorite of the bunch. You've really turned me on to the "cyclops" lighting Laughing.gif. :) I like the pose, and when she gets that particular gaze going, it's hard to look away. Her one eye is sharp and clear and her lips parted in an "I don't care if you think I'm sexy or not (because I know I am) kind of way. I personally think the diffused effect is counteracting the overall feel. It calls for a dirty, edgy, contrasty process.

I'm still working on the process but you're right about the image needing more contrast though. I think that's what I did with image #4.

Thanks all for the great feedback.
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    #4 thumb.gif excellent
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Beautiful Model :P.

I really like both of the shots, but they might have benefitted from a slightly lower angle :P. Otherwise they look great. clap.gifclap.gif

P.S. Number 3 and number 4 look great, Im not crazy about the background in 4, but it works. Number 3 is fantastic, may I ask what pp techniques you used?
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I was lied to..
    I see no "yard," only water and a pretty woman bowdown.gif
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    #1 is great in my opinion...love the colors actually. Only thing I would possibly do is get her out of dead center...other than that, I like it thumb.gif
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    gmonkeh wrote:
    Thanks Seamus I'm sure she'll appreciate the complement.

I'm trying out a couple of processing techniques in PS what do you think of this one?

77255490.jpg

This is my favorite one of the 4. The first two the colors look a little flat, where here the colors, pose and composition make a much more interesting shot.

I actually really like it, my only complaint is that there is alot of shadow on the right side of her face, taking away some of the beauty of the model by making half her face seem hidden in the deep shadows.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    I actually really like it, my only complaint is that there is alot of shadow on the right side of her face, taking away some of the beauty of the model by making half her face seem hidden in the deep shadows.

Yeah I really need to get a reflector stand. I have a 5-1 reflector that I havent had the ability to use cause usually it's just me shooting.

Anyone know of a good DIY tutorial in making a reflector holder? :)
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I do not care for the two photos in the original post, however the two additional images you've posted subsequently are great. The framing and the viewpoint in both of them work for your beautiful model.

Now, just one little pick: It maybe just me but the photos have too much magenta in the colour balance.