Options

2007 pulitzer for breaking news photography

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited April 17, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
just wanted to share a photo i find amazing...

photo by oded balilty / ap

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/2007/breaking-news-photography/works/baliltyphoto.jpg

inline photo changed to link by mod.

A lone Jewish settler challenges Israeli security officers during clashes that erupted as authorities cleared the West Bank settlement of Amona, east of the Palestinian town of Ramallah. Thousands of troops in riot gear and on horseback clashed with hundreds of stone-throwing Jewish settlers holed up in this illegal West Bank outpost after Israel’s Supreme Court cleared the way of demolition of nine homes at the site.

February 1, 2006 - from The Pulitzer Prizes web page

not only do i find oded's shot visually fascinating but it also conveys the essence of the struggle - idealogical youth in an all out battle against government resolutions from a 'nothing to loose' standpoint (something i tried to convey in current affairs).

i saw this photo in the press at the time, later at world press photo exhibition (took 1st place for people in the news) and now i think the pulitzer is well deserved!

what do you think?

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• Options
    DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    A very powerful image -tells a story without any explanation! bowdown.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Nir wrote:
    just wanted to share a photo i find amazing...

photo by oded balilty / ap

A lone Jewish settler challenges Israeli security officers during clashes that erupted as authorities cleared the West Bank settlement of Amona, east of the Palestinian town of Ramallah. Thousands of troops in riot gear and on horseback clashed with hundreds of stone-throwing Jewish settlers holed up in this illegal West Bank outpost after Israel’s Supreme Court cleared the way of demolition of nine homes at the site.

February 1, 2006 - from The Pulitzer Prizes web page

not only do i find oded's shot visually fascinating but it also conveys the essence of the struggle - idealogical youth in an all out battle against government resolutions from a 'nothing to loose' standpoint (something i tried to convey in current affairs).

i saw this photo in the press at the time, later at world press photo exhibition (took 1st place for people in the news) and now i think the pulitzer is well deserved!

what do you think?

This is a very emotional picture.
    This woman must feel very strongly about what she believes in, to take on the Officers single handedly.

Thanks for sharing Richard........ Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    What I find as striking as the foreground action - if not moreso - is the apparent lack of action in the background. The people on the hill to the left and the men in the right-hand background seem as though there's nothing going on.

Granted it's a still image and they could be shouting, calling for reinforcements (for one side or the other) on their mobile phones, who knows what. But it looks like one woman vs a bunch of uniforms in the midst of a whole lot of un-involved, uninterested, uncaring onlookers. Interesting the way that photos can be interpreted.

|: thanks for sharing :|
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I watched the tv coverage of the removal of the settlers. It was a very emotional time and the picture captures the emotion and controversy. A deserving winner.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    It's a great photo.

But what you don't see is just to the right of the frame, one guy's selling hot dogs and another guy's selling t-shirts.

The power of a camera to exclude what doesn't tell the story! lol3.gif Just kidding.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au