Options

Venice, Italy

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
I'm leaving for a week in Venice in a couple of days. I have been there before, but that was before I took up photography. I'm sure there will be no shortage of photo ops, but does anyone have any advice on shooting locations, perhaps a bit off the usual tourist path?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Roy MathersRoy Mathers Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I'm leaving for a week in Venice in a couple of days. I have been there before, but that was before I took up photography. I'm sure there will be no shortage of photo ops, but does anyone have any advice on shooting locations, perhaps a bit off the usual tourist path?

Thanks,

You won't have any problem. Just walk away from St Mark's Square into the hundreds of side streets and you'll be spoilt for choice as far as photo opportunities. I would also suggest that you visit some of the islands, especially Murano, where the famous glass comes from.

It's a wonderful place, and one of the most photogenic in the world.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 19, 2007
    You won't have any problem. Just walk away from St Mark's Square into the hundreds of side streets and you'll be spoilt for choice as far as photo opportunities. I would also suggest that you visit some of the islands, especially Murano, where the famous glass comes from.

It's a wonderful place, and one of the most photogenic in the world.

15524779-Ti.gif

one of my favorite world cities

it's late, I'm tired and I can't remember much of anything right now but head over to the section of the city around the Guggenheim. Charming houses and area with the BEST view across the Grand Canal. (oh and the museum is fabulous too, with a great little patio on the Canal from which you can snap a few good ones)
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions, Roy and Angelo. thumb.gif

Regards,
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Off the usual tourist patch - it's my preferred way :D

My top tip - buy open ticket for boats and ships for entire stay.
    It's like free (OK near free) taxi riding around NYC !

Places worth to photo visit -
    Isola Della Guidecca, Lido di Venezia, Murano of course, Punta Sabbioni
    and my favorite spot -
    Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute - amazing view of Venezia ever.

Have a perfect trip !
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    Off the usual tourist patch - it's my preferred way :D

My top tip - buy open ticket for boats and ships for entire stay.
    It's like free (OK near free) taxi riding around NYC !

Places worth to photo visit -
    Isola Della Guidecca, Lido di Venezia, Murano of course, Punta Sabbioni
    and my favorite spot -
    Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute - amazing view of Venezia ever.

Hey thanks, Z, especially for the Santa Maria della Salute tip, which was not on my list. We had already been plannning to get a week's pass for the boats and also hope to explore a number of the other islands.

Cheers,
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Richard,

You've been before so at least you're prepared for the sheer volume of tourists you'll encounter. Very early mornings will reward you with plenty of excellent opportunities.

I also echo the other comments about getting off the beaten track, just wander and frankly get lost, you'll find some lovely spots.

I'm jealous, I'd love to return, I wasn't really fully into photography when I went and missed some great shots.

Have a good trip and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

The locals have an interesting relationship with the tourist, I took this when I was there:-

75734284-M.jpg

mwink.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Richard,

I also echo the other comments about getting off the beaten track, just wander and frankly get lost, you'll find some lovely spots.

Charlie
    Thanks, Charlie. As I remember, there's no way to avoid getting lost. "Just turn right at the church next to the bridge." Yeah, right. I was there in the middle of winter and there were a few moments when I was freezing my butt off and thought I was never going to find my way back to the hotel. This time should be better.

It wouldn't surprise me that another tourist sprayed that wall. The natives, after all, don't wait in line to get into the Basilica San Marco.

Cheers,