Options

Home Studio Setup

W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
edited April 19, 2007 in People
Hi All,

I am not too sure which forum to post this in so I thought since my subjects were going to be people, the people forum would be a good place to start.

I am setting up a home studio, ok I haven't started yet, but I guess this post is the first step :rofl and would like some advise.

I have been reading, for the last 2 hours, strobist and it seems like a great place to get info for what I want, but it is also confusing for someone who is very new (read - never) to studio setups. I think there is more benefit from that site once you have the equipment setup and can learn technique etc...

It seems to me I am looking at (at the very least) a backdrop (thinking one white, one black one) light stand with umbrella adapter and an umbrella to use with my SB-800 (I have access to 2 SB-800's so can do multiple lighting).

My main question is, I guess, is this what I should be looking at or should I look at some stobes which can be powered via a powerpoint and if so where to start?

If it has not already been done, It would be great if members with their own home studio setup could post some images of the studio and outline what equipment they have. I am looking at this as a serious project so I want to try and buy the right equipment the first time (even if it does cost a few more $$$)

Hopefully there is someone who has gone through his before and can provide some info on the topic.

Cheers,
W00DY

Comments

• Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    I am a hobbiest portrait photographer myself. It started a year ago just as a way of taking pictures of my daughter and friends children. I started off buying one Alienbee B400 with a brolly box (~$300), a reflector (~$40), and two muslins (white and black) (~$50 each). I bought an Alienbee because they eBay well if I really sucked at it, plus they are pretty highly recommended. I then added my Sb600 to the mix by putting it on a hot shoe slave trigger (~$15), and another cheap JTL monolight (~$140). Other odds and ends I picked were various light stand, umbrella adaptors, umbrellas, eBay radio triggers (Hot shoe type(~$30), and the studio type(~$30)), and a Adorama slave and stand (~$40).
    I didn't originally need the extra two lights, but when using the black background, it really helps to have these as hair lights. So my setup has a bit of "junkyard dog" in it. It would be easier to have all lights of the same brand and type, but my budget didn't allow that.

One other thing, I love how the strobist uses speedlights, but cycle time can be a problem. Monolights don't have that problem. But they lack portability.

I also read a lot of forums, blogs, and other websites. Here are just a few:
    strobist (which you've already found)
    studiolighting.net (also has a good podcast)
    Adorama Academy
    nikonians
    Alienbees (Also has a new forum)
    Planet Neil
  • Options
    W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Shane422 wrote:
    I am a hobbiest portrait photographer myself. It started a year ago just as a way of taking pictures of my daughter and friends children. I started off buying one Alienbee B400 with a brolly box (~$300), a reflector (~$40), and two muslins (white and black) (~$50 each). I bought an Alienbee because they eBay well if I really sucked at it, plus they are pretty highly recommended. I then added my Sb600 to the mix by putting it on a hot shoe slave trigger (~$15), and another cheap JTL monolight (~$140). Other odds and ends I picked were various light stand, umbrella adaptors, umbrellas, eBay radio triggers (Hot shoe type(~$30), and the studio type(~$30)), and a Adorama slave and stand (~$40).
    I didn't originally need the extra two lights, but when using the black background, it really helps to have these as hair lights. So my setup has a bit of "junkyard dog" in it. It would be easier to have all lights of the same brand and type, but my budget didn't allow that.

One other thing, I love how the strobist uses speedlights, but cycle time can be a problem. Monolights don't have that problem. But they lack portability.

I also read a lot of forums, blogs, and other websites. Here are just a few:
    strobist (which you've already found)
    studiolighting.net (also has a good podcast)
    Adorama Academy
    nikonians
    Alienbees (Also has a new forum)
    Planet Neil

Hey Shane,

See your PM rolleyes1.gif (you'll see why I am laughing)

Thanks heaps for your reply and sorry for my late one!!!! I see the Alienbee gear mentioned a lot, it must be quite good. I will have to see if I can pick it up in Australia or at least what delivery would cost me (the $AUD is strong at the moment so makes buying from the USA an option).

Thanks also for the links, lot's of information.

Do you think you could post an image of your studio next time you are shooting? I am always interested in seeing people's setups.

Cheers,
    W00DY
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    I'll try to take a setup picture next time, but I basically convert my living room, which is only about 12x14ft. My wife let me place hook in the far wall when I hang a cable to support the muslin backdrops. The main light in setup on the camera right side, and I'm always experimenting the placement of the other lights. My wife and I take portraits for friends and family about once a month. We usually schedule a "Super Saturday" and take about 4 appointments. That keeps me buried in photoshop for about 2 weeks.

So last Saturday was our Super day, adn it also happened to be prom night here. So we had a few extra neighbors come in and I experimented with using two lights above and behind almost as hair lights. I also had a fill light at 45degrees to camera left. Here are a few of those. I learn more everytime I set up. But I'm finally getting pics that I'm not embarrassed to show. But I have to admit that they are still quite ordinary.
    143966690-M.jpg
    143968360-M.jpg
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    AB's are great lights for the price, but I don't think you can get them in Australia.

Here's one of the easiest home lighting set-ups available. I used a tripod, a softbox for key, and a window as the background. The flash (sort of) froze the subject, the long exposure blew out the scene behind her, and it looks like a studio shot. Only it was taken in front of the window in the backdoor to my house. What I'm saying is that with a little bit of thought, you can use a variety of backdrops in ways you might not think possible-- a softbox also makes a great solid white backdrop.
    76221424.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+