Options

Which uploader is best on the mac?

mrraymrray Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited April 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hello all,

Trying not to post bomb the support forums but am trying to find the best solution for mass uploading on a mac. So I pose the questions which is the best uploader for the mac for mass (gigs of photos ) uploading? Basically trying to upload photos in batches upwards of a 1000 at a time at 3mb a piece. The native smugmug upload has yet to not crash on me, star explorer seems to be too slow at least under virtualization, and smug browser randomly stops uploading and uploads photos randomly instead of by file name. I am going to try another computer other than my own but it is a Macbook Pro that has been recently formatted. Anyone having consistent luck with one of the uploaders on a mac?

Thanks,
marc

Comments

• Options
    Michael LMichael L Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    I have yet to find a reliable way to send photos in bulk to Smugmug. I am extremely frustrated with this issue. Let me share with you what I have tried. I have been attempting to add 100 photos with average file size of 6mb

Smugmug Drag&Drop(Safari) – Will crash every time and sometimes will display something about pipe broken error.

Smugbrowser-Will stop uploading every time.

Sugmug Uploader-Will crash every time.

PictureSync-Will stop uploading every time.

Aperture to Smugmug plugin-Will stop or crash every time.

Can someone please tell us what to do? The best I can do now is upload 10 at a time with Drag&Drop. This is driving me CRAZY!

mlphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Michael L wrote:
    I have yet to find a reliable way to send photos in bulk to Smugmug.

Hi, tell us more about your system? Cable, or DSL modem, or? Do you have a router?

Try unplugging your router and modem, wait a minute, plug it back in. Try direct connecting to your modem, bypassing the router.

We need to help you! I'm sure we can.
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 19, 2007
    What Andy said. If every method of connecting to us to upload is crashing, there is something more going on here that is causing problems.

Give a few of his ideas a try, and get us some feedback and we should be able to get it sorted out.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2007
    Possible solution for mac batch uploads
    In the middle of testing out the universal upload using safari and it seems pretty rock solid. Able to have 4 to 5 simultanious upload streams of about 700 pics each without a crash. I am averaging about 900K (kilobytes) per second on upload. To do multiple uploads at a time I simply drag files in batches on the green guy and each time it spawns a new upload window. I am guessing this is the best solution for batch uploads on the mac. As for the speed I am on a university network where I think our upload to the Internet is somewhere around 30 - 50 mbps but may be more.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, tell us more about your system? Cable, or DSL modem, or? Do you have a router?

Machine Name: Mac Pro
    Machine Model: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB

My machine is connected to the internet via a DSL modem going through a Linksys WRT54G router. My machine connects directly to an ethernet port on this router and not via wireless.

This is the first time I have tried bulk uploading since I switched to a Mac about 6 months ago. This same router/modem setup worked fine for bulk uploads with my old Windows XP setup.

The Mac smugmug uploader definitely has issues with bulk uploads as confirmed by other post in the Dgrin forums. Something about a memory leak if I recall correctly.

EVERY time I have had a bulk upload failure it has been after the computer went into sleep mode. I just turned sleep mode off and I am now attempting upload 134 images 641MB. My next troubleshooting step will be router/modem.

I will keep you guys posted on my troubleshooting progress. Just curious any other Mac users have sleep mode issues? My past computer experience makes me question the reliability of sleep modes.

Thanks
    Mike

mlphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2007
    Michael L wrote:
    I have yet to find a reliable way to send photos in bulk to Smugmug. I am extremely frustrated with this issue. Let me share with you what I have tried. I have been attempting to add 100 photos with average file size of 6mb

Smugmug Drag&Drop(Safari) – Will crash every time and sometimes will display something about pipe broken error.

Smugbrowser-Will stop uploading every time.

Sugmug Uploader-Will crash every time.

PictureSync-Will stop uploading every time.

Aperture to Smugmug plugin-Will stop or crash every time.

Can someone please tell us what to do? The best I can do now is upload 10 at a time with Drag&Drop. This is driving me CRAZY!

mlphotos.smugmug.com
    Michael - please try this: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=533616#post533616

Thanks.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Michael,

Are you sure that you're only uploading valid files?

Have you checked your line integrity for packet loss?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 19, 2007
    I really wouldn't be surprised if going to sleep made the uploader blow up. We can definitely see what we can do in that regard, but that will abort the connection with the server and cause bad things to happen in the uploader.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2007
    The problem is solved. Looking back at it I should have figured it out sooner. The culprit was sleep mode. I just did a drag & drop of 134 images without any issues. Thanks for the prompt suggestions everyone. I love the dgrin community.

Thanks,
    Michael
    mlphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    Michael L wrote:
    The problem is solved. Looking back at it I should have figured it out sooner. The culprit was sleep mode. I just did a drag & drop of 134 images without any issues. Thanks for the prompt suggestions everyone. I love the dgrin community.

Thanks,
    Michael
    mlphotos.smugmug.com
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    Universal Uploader Rocks
    So i just spawned 9 universal uploaders and am now peaking at about 3.5 megabytes per second. None have crashed so far and everything seems to be holding steady. Will try the new mac uploader but so far the universal one is great!