Options

Cherubic

BeaKeRBeaKeR Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited April 20, 2007 in Landscapes
This is from my first day out with my new camera (Pentax K10D). I've got my own thoughts on this one, but I'd really like to hear all your thoughts. I know this isn't the Whipping Post, but feel free to pretend it is :thumb

144122597-L.jpg

(PS, also my first thread here, please excuse me if I mess up the post)

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    BeaKeR wrote:
    This is from my first day out with my new camera (Pentax K10D). I've got my own thoughts on this one, but I'd really like to hear all your thoughts. I know this isn't the Whipping Post, but feel free to pretend it is thumb.gif

(PS, also my first thread here, please excuse me if I mess up the post)

Hi there BeaKeR, and welcome to Dgrin :D
    This is a lovely shot, I like how you got down and shot skyward to give more feel towards the little Angel raising her hands towards the statue of Jesus.

.......now this is part I am not sure about, I see you have isolated the Small Angel and she is in focus, but the statue of Jesus looks like it has no clear outline to it, like motion blur, but it can't be motion blur because it's a solid statue? bad choice of words, what I mean is the statue and the buildings in the background appear to have shake? can't find the word I'm looking for.

See the hand from the statue? doesn't look right to me .... Skippy.
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    BeaKeRBeaKeR Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback!

I think I see the blurring effect you mean, but I don't know what that is either. I didn't do any post processing on this aside from a curves layer, and if it were literally shake presumably it would show up on the cherub as well. Also I checked some of my other shots from the same time and they show that effect as well.

Is it possibly the lens? This was taken with the kit lens (18-55 f/3.5), so maybe it's just not the greatest? I don't have enough experience with lenses to tell yet.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the full-size original: http://bkr.smugmug.com/photos/144122597-O.jpg
  • Options
    Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    I like it- I don't think it looks like a motion blur- I would like to see the exif but I an guessing it is just bokeh. Depending on the shape of the aperature of your lens it can be smooth or kind of funky. I think the shallow depth of field in general is nice and adds to the shot. Good work.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr