Options

Fixing a washed out sky

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 1, 2004 in Finishing School
Before:

1335545-M.jpg

After:

1335546-M.jpg

I wish I'd taken this with my 10D instead of my S500, but that's reason for pocket cameras, you can take them jogging.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2004
    sorry rutt, but i don't see much difference.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    fish wrote:
    sorry rutt, but i don't see much difference.
    For some reason the difference shows up better when I pull down the images and display outside the browser. The difference is not huge but there is cloud/texture in the sky of the second image.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    I see the difference in the bridge, the trees and the water... but not so much the sky. I like what you've done so far.

Considering that you have a reflection of the sky in the water, changing the sky to something more dramatic might be tough.... 'cause you might be hard put to get the water to match it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    ah...now I see it. thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I see the difference in the bridge, the trees and the water... but not so much the sky. I like what you've done so far.

Considering that you have a reflection of the sky in the water, changing the sky to something more dramatic might be tough.... 'cause you might be hard put to get the water to match it.
    Actually, the same move that added sky to the sky also added sky to the overexposed parts of the water on the right near the bridge and behind the bridge. I blended in a pure sky shot. to the whole picture using darken only and some ranges.

This isn't my favorite picture, but it is my favorite photoshop progject from last year. The late afternoon sky around here (Boston) is so beautiful in the spring and fall, but I've never succeeded in capturing both it and any earthbound subject in one shot. Perhaps this is really a job for film, or for some filter I don't know about, or for a digial beast not yet invented.

Here are a couple of unretouched sky shots from last fall:

1741167-M.jpg

1741231-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    soupsoup Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    use a tripod - take two shots - one exposing the sky properly ( subjects will be dark ), and the other properly exposing the earthbound element your are after ( and blowing out the sky most likely).

stack them in an image editor

doesnt work with all subjects/ skies, but might be of help