Options

Point and Shoot Camera - Can't Decide

rjw0098rjw0098 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited April 27, 2007 in Cameras
I want to buy a point and shoot that has 16:9, Image Stabilizer and can fit in my pocket. I already have a Canon Digital Rebel and I am looking for a camera that can go anywhere with some great features. I just bought the Panasonic DMZ-TZ3, but I believe it is too big and I am looking to return it. So I went back to the drawing board and now looking at 3 cameras.

1. Panasonic DMC-FX30
2. Casio Exilim EX-Z1050
3. Fujifilm FinePix F40 fd

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited April 20, 2007
    rjw0098 wrote:
    I want to buy a point and shoot that has 16:9, Image Stabilizer and can fit in my pocket. I already have a Canon Digital Rebel and I am looking for a camera that can go anywhere with some great features. I just bought the Panasonic DMZ-TZ3, but I believe it is too big and I am looking to return it. So I went back to the drawing board and now looking at 3 cameras.

1. Panasonic DMC-FX30
    2. Casio Exilim EX-Z1050

Any thoughts?

I'm a bit confused. 16:9 is a widescreen video format. I am not aware of any digicam which supports that aspect ratio in still mode. More common photographic ratios are: 4:3 (similar to computer screen aspect ratios) and 3:2 which is 35mm film camera aspect ratio.

I suggest you start with the comparison features here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
    Plugging in the values you feel are important.

If you would tell us a bit more about your shooting style and expectations, we might be more vocal in recommendations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    I was looking at that Panasonic FX30, and I was almost going to buy it after reading about all the features. Except when I saw the image quality, my mind changed. The photos all look very noisy and the image quality just doesn't seem all that great. I ended up going with the Canon Powershot SD750, although I gave up the image stabilization.

If you really want image stabilization I would suggest taking a look at the Canon Powershot SD700IS. It's a great camera and has IS. My dad and sister have one, it's a great little camera.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    merg5418merg5418 Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    rjw0098 wrote:

1. Panasonic DMC-FX30
    2. Casio Exilim EX-Z1050

Any thoughts?

Be sure to look at the the G7. It will shoot in 16:9. I've had one since October 06 and use 16:9 format almost exclusively.
  • Options
    TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    merg5418 wrote:
    Be sure to look at the the G7. It will shoot in 16:9. I've had one since October 06 and use 16:9 format almost exclusively.
    How about the S3 IS for about $300 and also shoots 16:9. From the reviews, the 640x480 recording features are pretty nifty on this camera, including stereo mics and 12x zoom while recording. Not sure about the pocket form factor though.
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • Options
    medallionmedallion Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2007
    I'd go with the Fuji
    I'd go with the Fujimwink.gif
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    I have a Fuji F30. I love it. Check my concert pics. Most are taken with that since I can easily smuggle it into the venue. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    The Fuji F30 ROCKS! I bought one a month ago and love it. Fantastic at high ISO. No image stabilization, but I have found I don't need it with the excellent high ISO performance.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    ashbyashby Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I just got a Panasonic DMC-TZ3 last week and have been shooting 16:9 aspects. They are very impressive when viewed on the wide screen HD TV set. The only problem is not having a viewfinder. In bright sun with sun glasses on, the LCD screen almost disappears. Also, holding the camera at arms length seems to insert the photographer into the picture and most humans turn into taxidermist's models. Aslo, higher ISOs are pretty noisy. The Leica lens at 10X optical is exceptional and I really like the wide screen shots.