Options

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, how many variations?

Travis IngleTravis Ingle Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited April 25, 2007 in Cameras
I have been trying to do some research on this lens (Canon mount) and it seems there is a fairly new version as well as one or two older models that are still available. The more I try to figure out which is which and what the differences are the more confused I get. Any insight would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    I know of 3 variations, and I have had 2 of them:

Oldest = APO HSM - great lens, cheapest in the used market, great IQ, probably best bang for the buck

Next = APO DG HSM - never had one, but didn't hear great things about IQ

Newest = APO DG HSM Macro - good lens, can focus much closer to you than the other two and AF seemed just a tad faster than the old non-DG, but also hunted more in low light, costs the most

If you can find the oldest at around $575-625, I would get it, it is a great lens for the money! I would recommend the non-DG or the DG Macro.
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Is there 2 versions of the new macro model? I see some for sale for around $780 new with a longer knurled style tripod column and see others for around $850 new with a shorter tripod column.

This one is $785 @ sigma4less and is listed as:
    70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro APO HSM
    sg70200f28dm.jpg

This one is $830 @ amazon and is listed as:
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HSM Macro
    B000F8PYJ4.01-A1PY46IM1CBEG3._SCLZZZZZZZ_V46952976_SS500_.jpg

See the difference in the tripod ring bases? I am really confused why one of these is $45-50 more than the other?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    I have the apo hsm and it's great. I got it at Abe's of Maine about 2 years ago for $700. It has great mage quality. Incidentally, a friend of mine with the 70-200 IS came over today and I used it. The quality wasn't as good as the sigma's. Maybe he has a bad copy, maybe I shook (doubt it), I don't know. Suffice it to say that the "old" model is great, as was already said. Oh, I use it on a 10D.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    I shoot the original 70-210 APO (original autofocus that is ) it is super quiet super sharp and fast on my KM7D....and I paid a great price for it a couple of years ago. You should look into some of the used lenses that your local retailers have you might find a real gem of a bargin........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Too many :P. buy the newest one, you will have a better chance reselling it when you buy up, and it will still have some improvements over the last ones, for minimal increase in price :P
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    There are two different tripod rings available now, so that is the difference. The tripod ring with the finger grooves is the same design as is on the Bigma.

And I disagree with the statement about buying the latest and greatest, especially with the Sigma line. In all honesty the older non DG/non DG macro hunts much less and has just as good, if not sometimes better IQ than the newest. And if you buy used, you will end up selling it for almost no loss. I have had 4 Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 lenses, and the best still was the non-DG. The only two pluses of the macro version, one major and one minor, are the slightly faster HSM focusing and being able to focus on objects a couple of feet closer. But if you buy this for low light, the faster focusing won't do you any good if you cannot get an AF lock.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    TeamSpeed wrote:
    There are two different tripod rings available now, so that is the difference. The tripod ring with the finger grooves is the same design as is on the Bigma.

There must be something else I am missing? Why would the one with the longer tripod ring cost less if they are both the "macro" version?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited April 22, 2007
    I'm not sure I fully understand about the different versions, but "Let's Go Digital" does discuss two Sigma 70-200mm lenses, one with HSM and one without. The one with HSM appears to have tripod collar "TS-41" (with the longer mount and "finger grooves") and the one without appears to have the "TS-21" tripod collar, which is shorter and smaller.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_6585.html
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_8156.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'm not sure I fully understand about the different versions, but "Let's Go Digital" does discuss two Sigma 70-200mm lenses, one with HSM and one without. The one with HSM appears to have tripod collar "TS-41" (with the longer mount and "finger grooves") and the one without appears to have the "TS-21" tripod collar, which is shorter and smaller.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_6585.html
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_8156.html

Just to show that confusion is rampant about the Sigma models, the Sigma site "SigmaPhoto.com" shows the shorter tripod collar (TS-21) on the HSM version:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3316&navigator=3

... and the TS-41 is available as an optional accessory:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_lens_details.asp?id=3248&navigator=1
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    It would appear, according to this Sigma document:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/downloads/SIGMA-lens-English.pdf

... that the correct UPC barcode for the current model, which is HSM and has the designation "Macro", is "569549" and it should have the shorter tripod ring attached.

FWIW, I do buy from, and recommend, Sigma4Less.com as a reputable dealer. I also recommend B&H, Adorama and KEH. I do not recommend many of the dealers that feed into the Amazon system.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    It's good to know that sigma4less is a reputable dealer especially since they are ~$45 cheaper than anyone else on this lens. It was brought up in another search that the price difference might be that the sigma4less version is a grey market lens with only a 1 year warranty. This doesn't really bother me though.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    It's good to know that sigma4less is a reputable dealer especially since they are ~$45 cheaper than anyone else on this lens. It was brought up in another search that the price difference might be that the sigma4less version is a grey market lens with only a 1 year warranty. This doesn't really bother me though.

There have been a few up for sale on FM and POTN in the last week.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=307768
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=307927
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Thanks for the links. I would actually rather have a 70-200mm f/4L but the filter size is holding me back. I already have lenses with 72/77mm filters so I would rather not have to have a 3rd size.
  • Options
    jclark319jclark319 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2007
    I had the first 70-200 APO HSM 2.8 and it WAS a Macro.

I paid $649 shipped (since they were new and not so popular). I sold the lens right before Christmas (1 yr 10 mos. old) for $700. The market pushed the value up since the newer ones were so high and nobody was really selling the older ones. I always heard people liked the non DG better.

I bought a 120-300 f2.8 non DG Sigma in its place...but wish I hadn't of sold it. It sure was sharp...ne_nau.gif