Options

Skateboarder

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited April 22, 2007 in People

Skateborders_MG_4143.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=6d470e4c17f0d4c5ac93fcf75e740646
Few years back using a skateboard to move around was quite a common sight. With emergence of skate parks this is no longer the case. I see skateboarders mostly trying out tricks in few spots around the city. Apparently skateboarding brings chaos to urban environment and you can see signs prohibiting it almost everywhere. This young skateboarder had none of it and was moving along with his friend. What struck me about them skating on the pavement was how motionless they were. Whether there was a slight decent there or they’ve build up speed long before I’ve noticed them they have covered a considerable distance without moving a muscle.

Comments

• Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007

Skateborders_MG_4143.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=6d470e4c17f0d4c5ac93fcf75e740646

Is it me or is he on that thing backwards? I don't know anything about skateboarding or even if there is a proper way to be on one, but it just caught my eye!

Yes, most places try and keep the skaters, bikers, heely's, anyone that is not just plain walking, out of places where patrons happen to be. Some kids take it way to the extreme and ruin it for those who just want to "roll"!

Great shot!!

Heather
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Cool shot, but Im not a fan of the blank stare on his face, and the action shot is okay, but awkward.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Ted:

I know it's street photography, but you still have to watch the background if you want the best photos. This particular skater has some weird stuff behind his head that I find distracting. That's a big challenge on the street of course because you're not really controlling the background and you don't always have the option of moving. One idea would be to use a smaller aperture and longer lens-- that will help get the background out of focus. I also think this would be improved by seeing both boys- not just the legs of the second guy.

Just my two-cents...

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 21, 2007
    neat shot in what looks like some difficult light/shadows-

I like it much-
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Even the idea of street photography is completely intimidating to me, so I'm always interested to see what you capture! This guy almost looks like a wax museum statue, he's so still. I like how the skateboarders are moving in the opposite direction from everyone else, and the look on his face, to me, says, "I think I'm cool...stay out of my way." Nice one!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    Thanks George. There are shaded shops on the left of where I stood and a very bright midday sun from the back.
    gefillmore wrote:
    neat shot in what looks like some difficult light/shadows-

I like it much-
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    Elaine, that is what captured my attention. They were moving fast and yet they were so still.
    Elaine wrote:
    Even the idea of street photography is completely intimidating to me, so I'm always interested to see what you capture! This guy almost looks like a wax museum statue, he's so still. I like how the skateboarders are moving in the opposite direction from everyone else, and the look on his face, to me, says, "I think I'm cool...stay out of my way." Nice one!

Elaine
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    Pete,
    longer lens means more distance to the subject and this in turns means you are likely to have someone between you and the photographed person all the time. Sydney may not be New York but it still is a busy place.

Also, I was kneeling for this shot to emphasise statuesque pose of the skater. To do this with long lens would mean I'd have to lay down on the ground.

The kind of controlled street shots you are referring to are street setups. They are done in early hours of the morning when the city sleeps with proper portable lights and models. Some of them are very good and end up in galleries and books. They only miss one thing - capturing street life - they are fakes. Often very artistic but fakes. The photographer there will never get a comment "How real this is - I was there", or "that was me".
    dogwood wrote:
    Ted:

I know it's street photography, but you still have to watch the background if you want the best photos. This particular skater has some weird stuff behind his head that I find distracting. That's a big challenge on the street of course because you're not really controlling the background and you don't always have the option of moving. One idea would be to use a smaller aperture and longer lens-- that will help get the background out of focus. I also think this would be improved by seeing both boys- not just the legs of the second guy.

Just my two-cents...
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Pete,
    The kind of controlled street shots you are referring to are street setups. They are done in early hours of the morning when the city sleeps with proper portable lights and models. Some of them are very good and end up in galleries and books. They only miss one thing - capturing street life - they are fakes. Often very artistic but fakes.

Ted:

Naw, I'm still not talking about models and setups and proper lights and all of that. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. These are not models, this is not set-up, and there were thousands of people around. I was in the crowd, spotted these girls, ran ahead, dialed everything in on my camera while I was walking, and simply spun around and grabbed the shot. This also illustrates the motion idea I mentioned in your post of the two women walking.

It really is possible to shoot good street photography (that isn't fake) without models and without setting up your shots-- I swear!

52899682.jpg

• Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Pete, with all due respect, so you thought a small fragment of a flag behind the skater was distracting but a 3 big, lit windows and a light post with their light spots aren't?

dogwood wrote:
    Ted:

Naw, I'm still not talking about models and setups and proper lights and all of that. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. These are not models, this is not set-up, and there were thousands of people around. I was in the crowd, spotted these girls, ran ahead, dialed everything in on my camera while I was walking, and simply spun around and grabbed the shot. This also illustrates the motion idea I mentioned in your post of the two women walking.

It really is possible to shoot good street photography (that isn't fake) without models and without setting up your shots-- I swear!

52899682.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Pete, with all due respect, so you thought a small fragment of a flag behind the skater was distracting but a 3 big, lit windows and a light post with their light spots aren't?

Yes. And it's not the fragment of the flag in your shot that I find distracting, it's the pole and rods that seem to be growing out of the side of his head.

I post photos on my comments here to prove I'm not just armchair quarter-backing (that's a US term for the folks who watch football on t.v. and have all kinds of advice for the quarterback). It's meant to be helpful. But I also understand photography is very subjective. All my comments are just my opinion-- so take them all with a grain of salt. There's certainly more than one way to shoot a good photo.

I'm not saying eliminate the background in your photos, just watch your composition a bit more carefully. Have you seen the latest Dior print ads? Yup, they're full of blurred bright lights in the background-- the idea is show the setting (a city at night). Backgrounds should add to the mood of a photo... but that's just my opinion. That said, here's an example-- without the background, this shot wouldn't be as strong:
    77580683.jpg

• Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Now, that one is fantastic both by itself and to illustrate your point of view.

Pete, don't get me wrong I do appreciate your comments. I never shy away from negative comments or their authors. I've learnt a lot from many of them.

PS: I wish my wide lens was not f/4 so i could control the DOF. EF 35mm F/1.4 is really high on my wish list but I think it is at the bottom of the budget at the moment.