Options

Problem w/Custom Host Name w/Password Protected Galleries

KDizzleKDizzle Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 26, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Since I have created my own domain name (www.keshandtejal.com) and used the Custom Host Name option, many of my friends/family can't get into my password protected albums. Do note, my Host Name is working great otherwise. It keeps telling them that their cookies, etc needs to be adjusted. Prior to the Host Name change, it was always working - in respect to entering passwords and allowing people to view my albums.

To see what I mean, feel free to test this - to go to www.keshandtejal.com - then go to Cars - then Car Enthusiasts. Password is - test.

You will see what I mean. Not sure if my Custom Host Name is causing this issue. Additionally, you'll notice it takes the screen to load a little longer too. Everytime you click on pics or go to the next pic, you'll notice the whole screen needs to reload. Is there someone out there that has experienced this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Worked fine for me.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Weird. It works, then for some people it doesn't work?? Confused. Thanks for testing it...
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    KDizzle wrote:
    Since I have created my own domain name (www.keshandtejal.com) and used the Custom Host Name option, many of my friends/family can't get into my password protected albums. Do note, my Host Name is working great otherwise. It keeps telling them that their cookies, etc needs to be adjusted. Prior to the Host Name change, it was always working - in respect to entering passwords and allowing people to view my albums.

To see what I mean, feel free to test this - to go to www.keshandtejal.com - then go to Cars - then Car Enthusiasts. Password is - test.

You will see what I mean. Not sure if my Custom Host Name is causing this issue. Additionally, you'll notice it takes the screen to load a little longer too. Everytime you click on pics or go to the next pic, you'll notice the whole screen needs to reload. Is there someone out there that has experienced this?

Thanks!

Hey KDizzle,

You're in luck, we've seen this one before. The problem here is that you're not actually using the custom hostname feature of smugmug, but instead, are wrapping your smugmug site in what are called 'frames'.

It's a little complicated to explain, but basically, your web browser isn't hitting smugmug's servers first, instead, they're hitting a server at your ISP (it looks like 'ns1.phendra.com' in this case). That server is then "wrapping" your smugmug URL, keshandtejal.smugmug.com, in frames and making it look like people are browsing smugmug directly. Unfortunately, they're not.

The fix is a fairly simple one: You just need to tell your DNS servers (phendra.com) to update your CNAME record for www.keshandtejal.com to point to 'www.smugmug.com' instead of 'keshandtejal.com'.

You can find more information about this here: custom hostname help ... We also need to do a better job on that help section to explain why frames and redirects don't work.

It's sorta a complicated situation for anyone who doesn't use DNS (read: almost everyone on earth), so I'm sorry if I wasn't clear here. Please feel free to follow-up, and we can try to help more. You can always contact smugmug help as well, and they'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Don
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Thanks, I will look in to this soon! I appreciate your prompt response!! Overall very happy with this service. I wish we had more streaming capabilities.... thanks!
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 26, 2005
    Ahhhhhhhhhh.....
    My wife tried to vist my Smugmug galleries from work, using
    http://freezeframephotography.smugmug.com/ and she got directed to the Smugmug home page. She had to do a search on my name, on the Smugmug homepage, to get to my galleries. Is this related to the DNS change you reference above, and in the step-by-step directions?

I am able to get to my galleries using the above link. But, then again, I'm sure it's cached and cookied on both my machines.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought my problem was sort of similar. Or, at the least the cause may be.

Thanks in advance for the assistance :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    http://freezeframephotography.smugmug.com/ and she got directed to the Smugmug home page. She had to do a search on my name, on the Smugmug homepage, to get to my galleries. Is this related to the DNS change you reference above, and in the step-by-step directions?

I am able to get to my galleries using the above link. But, then again, I'm sure it's cached and cookied on both my machines.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought my problem was sort of similar. Or, at the least the cause may be.

Steve

I clicked on that link and went straight to your page. ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005

Steve

Works for me. It could have been a typo on your wife's part? I know I've done that more than once. If you don't get it exactly right, it will go directly to smugmug home page.

Dave
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 26, 2005
    Thanks guys!!
    You're probably right. My wife is a hellava typist, but she hates puters....lol

Thanks again :D ,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005

Steve

No, I'm afraid not. The problem describe above only applies to custom hostnames, such if you were using www.freezeframephotography.com as your smugmug URL.

Since you're using a real smugmug URL (note the 'smugmug.com'), you don't have a similar issue.

I'd chalk it up to a typo. :)

Don